Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 18:42   #1
AJL

Boat: Beneteau 311
2001 Beneteau 46

I am considering a Beneteau 46, does anyone know how well suited the boat is for off shore sailing, as also Atlantic crossing West to East. Specifically rough weather attributes etc
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:06   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
No attributes whatsoever.

It is a big boat and if she is sound she will take the crossing in her stride.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:14   #3
AJL

Thanks. I'm just starting to research, what would be some of the extras needed for the Bene 46 for a crossing. She has a furl main with a second track, radar, chart plotter, ssb, standard electronics
Old 02-10-2010, 14:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Thanks. I'm just starting to research, what would be some of the extras needed for the Bene 46 for a crossing. She has a furl main with a second track, radar, chart plotter, ssb, standard electronics
What you need is a sound hull, watertight, sound rigging and sails, working engine and clean fuel system, sound steering system.

Other stufff are nice to haves or required by laws, but sound hull, rigg& sails and steering will get you across.

I would take a spare GPS and paper charts too.

Make sure you have the experience for the crossing which is not the easiest one. Otherwise hire an experienced delivery skipper.

b.
Old 02-10-2010, 14:33   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
With all due respect to B owners, these boats are not suitable for the stated use unless extensively modified and even then the hull form is not suited to rough water. Certainly somebody has probably doe it but that is irrelevant as you'll never know what weather they encountered and what mods they both did make and retrospectively should have/wanted to make. A common metaphor is - the wrong tool for the job - it might work but if you have the choice...
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 14:54   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
With all due respect to B owners, these boats are not suitable for the stated use unless extensively modified and even then the hull form is not suited to rough water. Certainly somebody has probably doe it but that is irrelevant as you'll never know what weather they encountered and what mods they both did make and retrospectively should have/wanted to make. A common metaphor is - the wrong tool for the job - it might work but if you have the choice...

Here we go again. Check the boats crossing the Atlantic in the latest ARC. More Beneteaus than you can shake a stick at and I'm willing to bet they have not been extensively modified. Most folks can't afford an Oyster.
Old 02-10-2010, 16:56   #7
AJL

I hear quite a bit about Beneteaus Flat bottoms in general re Heavy weather, I'm not sure if going beyond lets say a 37' displacement wise makes up for this?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:19   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
I hear quite a bit about Beneteaus Flat bottoms in general re Heavy weather, I'm not sure if going beyond lets say a 37' displacement wise makes up for this?
They dont have flat bottoms.

They have flatter bottoms than old full keel boats, but not as flat as any racing boat built in the last 30 years.

Go have a look at one and compare it against a flat bottom racing boat. Then sail the 2 and you'll feel the difference.

The photos below show a line drawing, a Farr 36 racing hull, a full keeler and a Beneteau 461 footer.

Watchout for comments like S/V Illusion's. They are incorrect.

Watchout for bulltwaddle like Beneteaus have flat bottoms. They don't, do they?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full1-300x199.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	19805   Click image for larger version

Name:	img12206.gif
Views:	269
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	19806  

Name:	f0167-01.png
Views:	1471
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	19807   Click image for larger version

Name:	461.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	19808  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Here we go again. Check the boats crossing the Atlantic in the latest ARC. More Beneteaus than you can shake a stick at and I'm willing to bet they have not been extensively modified. Most folks can't afford an Oyster.
Hurray, a voice of common sense

Of course I would love an Oyster, Swan, or even a Rassy, but unless I rob a bank or mortgage myself until I am 70 it ain't happening and I guess that is true for alot of folk out there doing it now in standard production yachts.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14   #10

I do not think calling ARC as an example is this good.

Sailing from Canary Islands to West Indies is nothing like sailing from West Indies to Europe.

But saying that a well prepared 46 ft Bene, Bava or mostly anything is not up to the job is a proof the poster has not sailed a 46 Bene.

b.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:26   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not think calling ARC as an example is this good.

Sailing from Canary Islands to West Indies is nothing like sailing from West Indies to Europe.

But saying that a well prepared 46 ft Bene, Bava or mostly anything is not up to the job is a proof the poster has not sailed a 46 Bene.

b.
What he said. The ARC is a milk run compared to the other way around and is not at all relevant.

A Bene would not be most people's first choice for that kind of crossing, but I can't agree that it's "unsuitable". It will be less comfortable and perhaps more dangerous in really heavy weather, and you will need to figure out how to store water (if you don't have a watermaker) and fuel enough for such a journey, but I don't think it needs "intensive preparation", more than any other boat. A Bene 46 is certainly "capable" of such a journey; I wouldn't hesistate to do it on that boat with a decent crew (and reasonable long range weather prognosis), although of course I would much prefer to do it on my own boat.

The Bene 46 only has tankage for 200 liters of fuel, and that would probably be my biggest concern about it for such a journey. Wouldn't give you much margin for powering out of a dead latitude or avoiding a storm. Maybe there's space somewhere to fit a temporary fuel bladder.

You also have very poor accomodation for sleeping at sea which could be only partially fixed by installing a bunch of lee cloths.

On the plus side that's a very good performing boat, and speed is life on a crossing like that. You would be able to make better time, especially in light conditions, than most boats.

We've been discussing this recently in another thread. "Search" is your friend.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Of course I would love an Oyster, Swan, or even a Rassy . .
C'mon, Pete, you've a Moody, after all. What do you need a rotten Oyster for?
Old 04-10-2010, 14:57   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
They dont have flat bottoms.

They have flatter bottoms than old full keel boats, but not as flat as any racing boat built in the last 30 years.

Go have a look at one and compare it against a flat bottom racing boat. Then sail the 2 and you'll feel the difference.

The photos below show a line drawing, a Farr 36 racing hull, a full keeler and a Beneteau 461 footer.

Watchout for comments like S/V Illusion's. They are incorrect.

Watchout for bulltwaddle like Beneteaus have flat bottoms. They don't, do they?

Mark
Mark, that's an eye-opener for me. Other than the fact that I have a skeg on my rudder and a bulb on my keel, that looks just like my boat's bottom. That's not like the Beneteau hulls I remember. I am somewhat confused.
Old 04-10-2010, 16:16   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
. That's not like the Beneteau hulls I remember. I am somewhat confused.
Thats why they say BS baffels brains. Because it does. If someone hears enough lies they start to believe it.
Thats why the commos used brainwashing. Because it works. Even on the most intelligent, aware folks.

Below is a photo of my boat. (and me!!) Is that a flat bottom?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	19840  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:26   #15

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
It's the area forward of the keel which many here have seen personally to which we refer as flat.

*I'm left with the impression from a few folks who PM'ed me that someone who wants to appear objective has his benny on the market which makes any claims, opinions, etc questionable.

One need only look at the hull form of many of their models if in doubt.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau