Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 20:16   #1

2000 Beneteau 361 Thoughts? Looking to Buy

Hi there,

I am looking at a 2000 beneteau 361. I am new to sailing, although I do have experience on the ocean with power boats (I am a liveaboard diveboat captain).
I was just wondering if anyone had any positive or negative thoughts or experiences with these boats. Anything at all is helpful.

Thanks!

Aaron
wakejumpr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakejumpr3 View Post
Hi there,

I am looking at a 2000 beneteau 361. I am new to sailing, although I do
We were seriously looking at the 361 before we streached the budget and bought a 393.

The 361, 2 cabin version has an excellent saloon layout and great cockpit. I don't think you can go wrong as you can always find a ready market for them.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23   #3

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
We bareboat chartered one in the BVI's for two weeks. Sailed & motored great, we really liked the layout, everything was pretty easy to get to. We had the two cabin version and the aft berth is huge and easy to get in & out of. Good ventilation. There are a few for sale at mooringsbrokerage.com. The one we chartered had been in charter service almost 5 years, had about 3,800 hours on the meter. I thought it looked good cosmetically (no gelcoat cracking) and the Yanmar ran fine, never used any oil.

Steve W.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I bough one several years ago, added Solar panels and made a few other personal modifications to fit my cruising taste. Have been using her 5 to 6 months a year in the West Indies but this December will be on her full time... one way ticket. Can't wait to get back on her. She handles very well single handed even in heaver winds and the typical large swells we get in the Winter.

The 361/362 has good interior layout with room for us taller guys and a great U shaped galley area. Only draw back is the limited storage, you will need to rethink overdoing excess clothing and other junk or do as I do and use the rear Cabin as the storage room. The large Starboard lazeriet is great for storing about anything and mine has always stayed very dry even when the rain blows and seas splash.

I looked at several models and makes and would not change my mind on what I purchased if I could. You do need to fit the boat to what your use is going to be and the areas and crew sizes your going to have. The 361/362 is great for 2 or single handling on a long term basis. More than 4 people would limit the comfort level for more extended cruises. I've had 7 aboard or short times with plenty of shore time and it wasn't too bad/ crowded unless it was a blowing rain and everyone wanted to be around the salon table... with hatches closed it can get warm with that many people in a 36.
Old 09-12-2012, 17:53   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: New port 28
Send a message via Skype™ to paddyd
Re: 2000 Beneteau 361 Thoughts? Looking to Buy

I am looking at 2000 361 .......does everyone still agreed they are great boats ????
paddyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 17:59   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I certainly do.

I love the two cabin version with the v beth forward and only one head.
On the 393 we have the pullman style forward cabin where you have to climb over the partner to get out of bed... That can be fun but after a while when you need a zizzle at night is a pain in the neck.

On my circumnavigation I have seen some 361s bit most boats are 40 foot plus.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I love the two cabin version with the v beth forward and only one head.
On the 393 we have the pullman style forward cabin where you have to climb over the partner to get out of bed... That can be fun but after a while when you need a zizzle at night is a pain in the neck.
It was the reason I sold mine, wife got to hate being trapped between me and the hull. I loved the boat ( was stupid to sell it).
Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 03:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2000 Beneteau 361 Thoughts? Looking to Buy

Nice boats... nearly had one 6 years back but could not get the price down enough so ended up with a 2001, 331 instead... same zizzle problem...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08   #9

I've a Bene 311 '98 model purchased third hand and for the most part happy with it.

Mine is a bit tender but I imaging the 361 would be less so.

Things to check:
Through-hull condition/material - are they brass or bronze - good metal condition and working? Likely they are not two piece fittings with a backing plate as others are recommending on the forum.
If a Volvo shaft drive, what is the condition of the water insert point for the drip-less shaft seal - is it falling out, broken, ready to break?
How are the fuel pipelets leading to the injectors - any weeping of diesel?
Two reefs or three? Three seems necessary on account of the large main sail area.
Check the moulding integrity - any sign of motion between the molding and hull?

Those are the things I would check out in case the PO will fix them for you.
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39   #10

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends

Still on my 361 and still love her, have made passages to Leewards on several occasions and about to start a Leewards and Windward cruise in the Jan/Feb time frame. Will do my normal slow passages as I love to stop and really get to know each island and will probably take 6 to 7 months to reach Grenada for the end of season hold over.... just hope MarkJ didn't use it up on his last visit!!!

As with any boat, have a good survey performed with yourself being present both in and out of the water. All boats age but I've had few problems and all addressed with minimal cost and difficulty such as a fresh water hose from the heater to system and a water pump replacement/ rebuild.

Recently added a SSB Marine/Ham radio and was happy at how simple it was to run cables and have great service from the unit. The 361/362 is a great boat to handle single handed and I've had recorded winds of 80mph over her with out problems at her mooring when in the BVI over the past few hurricane seasons and a few heavy winds in St. Martin that clocked in at 45 knots while on anchor in the bay.

The only real negative I've ever had was that most of the storage space is on the port side, causing a minor trim problem if you do not attempt to be careful in weight distribution, anchors and batteries are the main weight problems and you can effectively reduce this problem with planning.

BTW, I now use the Master Cabin as my main sleeping location as it was intended. Ends up being far more comfortable when ever at anchor or mooring. On passages we typically have the off watch sleep in the V berth as I often motor sail to keep the batteries up for the auto pilot and electronics.

Best wishes and fair winds on what ever you finally select. PM me if you want something specific.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It was the reason I sold mine, wife got to hate being trapped between me and the hull. I loved the boat ( was stupid to sell it).
Dave
Yeah, pullman's look cool at first glance, but having had two of them, I hate them. One person is always trapped.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Don't buy a Beneteau. It is not a bluewater boat. This is the conclusion that I've come to after years of reading all the threads about boats on this site. Definitely not the boat to sail off in. If it doesn't break up in the first squall you run into, the uncomfortable motion at sea, not to mention the constant oil-canning of the inadequate hull will make any voyage unbearable.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Don't buy a Beneteau. It is not a bluewater boat. This is the conclusion that I've come to after years of reading all the threads about boats on this site. Definitely not the boat to sail off in. If it doesn't break up in the first squall you run into, the uncomfortable motion at sea, not to mention the constant oil-canning of the inadequate hull will make any voyage unbearable.

The problem with a conclusion on "reading" vs "Actually knowledge by using" is you get many totally incorrect, biased, and non-supported inputs in the "reading". Lots of people have opinions but those really do not matter much when compared with those of people who actuall USE a specific boat full time for years.... and know many others with the same boat and what their experiences are vs what some readers "think" they may be. Often these inputs are about useless.....

Some people like Cats others monos, some sloops some multi-mast rigs, some small boats some large, come concrete, some wood, some RGP some like narrow and some like wide boats.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you will probably do well in taking some with a large amount of salt.... or Rum.

It has been well proven that about any production boat can be a blue water cruising boat. You have to develop your own criteria for what type sailing you wish to do and where you are going to do it. Some types are better in colder areas than those widely used in the more milder areas.

Don't fall for any trash talk of any production boat type "break up in the first squall you run into".... that is just an example of lack of actual knowledge of what is being discussed and is lacking in any factual matter and is only a poor opinion based on personal prejudice. If any production boat had any real history of such an occurrence it could not make it in the market place and the company would be out of business for manufacturing a defective product.

Many Bennies have been around the world cruising and their thousands of them still doing it in about every cornor of the globe. Here in the West Indies it is probably one of the two or three most popular boats in actual use for the past 15 years.

Any single boat can have problems for any number of reasons such as lack of care or poor seamanship, but the brand is not a problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Do i detect a little sarcasm?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:13   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Tags
beneteau