Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 21:33   #1

Boat: Grampion 26
2 Staterooms In Smallish Boat 30-36ft

I have been sailing a grampion 26 for a few years now, really like the small boat as i can man handle it and i think i really like a tiller, but ive never used a wheel so i dont know forsure, but its a bit small.

I want my parents to come out with us so i am looking to try get a sailboat with a decent enclosed head (meaning everyone else can stay on board and not die from the smell, while you go) and 2 staterooms so we can each have our own sleeping quarters. don't need a shower onboard. The enclosed head and 2 seperate staterooms are the prerequisites. and smallest to about the mid 30's is what I would like as i like the smaller size. Also i dont really have a budget, so older boats are better then some new one that i will never be able to afford.

Ive tried some searchs and havent come up with much.

thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 22:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: 2 Staterooms In Smallish Boat 30-36ft

It's a big ask. There are few aft cabin boats less than 40' and the smaller ones don't look right to my eye.

Why not have a chat with your parents and ask what they might accept?

Assuming they are agile enough a nice beamy aft cockpit 32-36'er with forward cabin, head, main cabin and quarter berths does the trick for most.

You could always give them the front cabin.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:52   #3

Boat: Alberg 30
Aloha 32 aft head. Unusual but effective
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:39   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Take a look at the S2's.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Most boats have a forecabin and a saloon that converts into a double berth. at 30 foot plus a seperate head is the norm. Smell comes from decent ventilation - and also running a fan also masks noise...........

Stateroom in this part of the world is a cabin with full standing headroom and decent access to the double berth, possibly walkaround and with an ensuite!......on 30ish you will be lucky to find 2 of those onboard!.......but I appreciate that in other parts of the world that term does include quaterberths the size of a large locker - personally I would choose the saloon double over one of those any day of the week, even at the price of the bed not being 24/7 permament....with a door to the forecabin you have 2 seperate nightime sleeping areas.

In any event, I am guessing that 4 adults onboard will be an occassional thing, if not then at 30 footish seperate sleeping areas will likely be the least of the problems when it comes to living space!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a wharram catamaran!
i knew one couple that sailed together,he had one hull,and she the other.
bill was a bit of a slob,and christine liked things neat and tidy!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:52   #7

ChrisCraft made a really nice 36' center cockpit boat with a serviceable aft cabin. They should be pretty reasonably priced, especially if you can pick one up this time of year opposed to the spring.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:01   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37
Grampian 34. You already know the build quality of Grampians. The 34s have a large ft cabin and a full forward cabin. We would happily travel with two couples on ours. Oh, and it's for sale. www.elysian.ca
Old 24-11-2012, 22:28   #9

Boat: Grampion 26
Sorry for the late reply, Ty for everyone that answered my question and didn't try convince me this way or that. I've managed to checkout some of these boats and it helped a lot.
Old 25-11-2012, 03:43   #10

When did a cabin become a stateroom? The next time I bring a head of state on board will be the first! Why does everyone lap up marketing so eagerly...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 05:00   #11

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
?:

How will you be using your sailboat? Lakes, coastal cruiser, blue water, days, weeks, months,?

If no extended blue water is on your agenda, my solution, might be your solution.

I purchased a William Crealock designed CM 32 aft cabin ketch diesel coastal cruiser racer. This was made in 1976 , and not racer by today's standards, but not slow either. Hull speed is 7.34 knots. Made over three years in several configurations, with a total production of over 500, so they are still available if one looks.

Front v berth is private, with a shared head with the center salon galley that converts to another sleep area. Engine room is below the cockpit and accessible from under the companion way steps, or from seat openings in the cockpit.

Cockpit is spacious, with lots of room for four to six adults and a lap dog or two. Edison wheel helm, makes this a pure joy to sail. As the helmsman, you can sit on the high side, or choose to sit atop the rear cabin, for an excellent forward facing view. Really want a view, stand on the aft cabin, and steer with one foot, with the steering brake gently applied so the wheel stays where you put it. This puts your eyes about 12' over the water for a remarkable 360 degree view, perfectly stable, as you are leaning, holding on to the mizzen mast.

The beauty of this sailboat is the 100% private aft cabin with two 6'5" berths, private separate compainonway, and 4 windows. Mine has a separate wag bag head hidden in a birth on one side, along with a sink. Two heads makes this a trully private aft cabin.

The sailboat was originally built as the largest coastal cruiser racer that could sleep six in privacy, and yet be trailered by one or two people easily, and go down any North American road without permits, because of her 8" beam. (I wish it was 8'6" beam, what was Bill thinking about, downtown Boston? )

She sails well in coastal waters, or lakes, as I use her. Today, you find these sailboats on every corner of the globe, so people have used them in blue water, but the rigging is on the light side for big storms.

Hull is hand layed fiberglass, up to the standards of William Crealock for coastal cruising, island hopping, and the decks are a sandwich of 1/2" fiberglass surrounding marine grade woods for strength under foot. My deck does not give an inch, and I am over 400 pounds. The salon height is 6', and sit up straight height in the v berth and aft cabin.

Mine has a six wheel trailer for storing her on the hard in winters, or looking for distant water. Pulls at highway speed with normal pick up or full sized car. Displacment is 4500 pounds, trailer weight, little over 7000 pounds. Draft is 3'6", so she is good to go most anywhere. The mast height over the water is about 35', so most all bridges are of no concern as you are cruising. Masts do easily step while on water, should the need arise.

This is the perfect sailboat for me, as my lake has one marina, and my marina has a max boat length of 32'. At 32', this is the biggest, trailerable, sailboat I could find, unless I spent an arm and a leg, which was not in my business plan. If you look for a deal on one of these, they are out there at very reasonable prices. I have less than 10 G in mine, including all the hole in the water monies that end up in every sailboat. At the marina, or on the water, she captures as much attention, and sails as sweet as the high dollar sailboats. This sailboat is pure joy for me. Could not be happier. Would recommend one to a friend in a New York minute. These sailboats can be found so reasonably, I purchased a second boat / trailer to use for parts, should I need any.

Click image for larger version

Name:	www_yachtauthority_com_00039556_144.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	50200

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_013433.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	50201

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_013529.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	50202

Name:	ForumRunner_20121027_004459.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	50203

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_013458.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	50204

Name:	hdr_00003_1-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	50206

Name:	2012-10-11-17-53-37.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	50207

Name:	2012-10-10-18-38-49.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	50208

Name:	www_yachtauthority_com_00039555_210.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	50209

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_013445.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	50210
Old 25-11-2012, 05:02   #12

Boat: J30
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianllama
I have been sailing a grampion 26 for a few years now, really like the small boat as i can man handle it and i think i really like a tiller, but ive never used a wheel so i dont know forsure, but its a bit small.

I want my parents to come out with us so i am looking to try get a sailboat with a decent enclosed head (meaning everyone else can stay on board and not die from the smell, while you go) and 2 staterooms so we can each have our own sleeping quarters. don't need a shower onboard. The enclosed head and 2 seperate staterooms are the prerequisites. and smallest to about the mid 30's is what I would like as i like the smaller size. Also i dont really have a budget, so older boats are better then some new one that i will never be able to afford.

Ive tried some searchs and havent come up with much.

thanks
Task a look at a S2 9.2C. It's a 30 footer and IMO doesn't have that chopped up look many small cd's have. Or It's big brother, the 36 ft 11.0C.
Good luck in your search.
Nago Suka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 05:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer
When did a cabin become a stateroom? The next time I bring a head of state on board will be the first! Why does everyone lap up marketing so eagerly...
A stateroom room is where you walk around the king sized bed on three sides, a cabin is where you crawl over the bed to reach stuff on the other side. Lol

My v berth, is pretty much wall to wall bed, but my aft cabin, was called an Owners Cabin by the manufacturer. Not a dance floor, but lots of room to move around. I would call it a stateroom if I had the budget to decorate it properly. As it is, gets used mostly as a walk in storage room.
Old 25-11-2012, 05:29   #14

Threads like this, need more photographs. If you are going to recommend a sailboat, pics would be helpful, and more interesting for the readers.

Name:	this thread is useless without pichers.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	50211
Old 25-11-2012, 09:05   #15

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have a Caliber 33 which fits your description. Nice V berth and an aft cabin that can be closed off from the salon with a folding door. Enclosed head - Not huge but my wife and I lived on the boat for 7 months or so to the Caribe and back and loved it. Occasional visitors worked out fine.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote