Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 09:44   #16

Boat: Grampion 26
Yeah I don't want a state room. I just wanted separate cabins. This is great info guys. I will defintly b looking into the 32' trailerable boat, we have one now (26') and remove it each winter.

Really wanted the seperare rooms as w have a toddler (just 2) and my parents are in there late 60's and we have lots of friends that come, so I was just looking into the options.
Old 25-11-2012, 10:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: 2 Staterooms In Smallish Boat 30-36ft

Lot of good advice here, especially, giving up the idea that sleeping quarters on a sailboat should be called a "stateroom"!

I would also advise being flexible about two separate cabins. Most boats over 30' will have a saloon with a pull-out bunk and a separate forecabin, at the very least. Sleep in the saloon and put your guests in the forecabin (generally, a v-berth). Works great for two couples. A toddler can sleep in a pilot berth. A second "separate cabin" on older boats much under 40' is going to be a quarter berth, which is going to be much less comfortable than using the saloon.

Don't overcomplicate it! A somewhat bigger boat will automatically solve the accommodation problem. If you change boats, don't buy it for the accommodation, especially in that size range! Buy it for quality, condition, sailing performance, beauty. The accommodation will take care of itself.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:30   #18

Boat: J30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't overcomplicate it! A somewhat bigger boat will automatically solve the accommodation problem. If you change boats, don't buy it for the accommodation, especially in that size range! Buy it for quality, condition, sailing performance, beauty. The accommodation will take care of itself.
Totally agree!

We looked for our first boat for 2 years. No kidding. There's so much junk out there. We finally found her on Craigslist. Solid hull, solid deck, Yanmar 2gm in excellent shape, so-so sails. Replaced the roller furler and jib, added a garmin gpsmap with sounder. Most importantly, I feel safe taking my kids out knowing we aren't likely to sink or have chainplates ripped out, etc.

Anyway, best of luck in your search. Look for what Dockhead spoke of and you'll be fine. And if you feel like waiting 2 years, I'll sell you my S2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b02257.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	50237  
Nago Suka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:35   #19

Some 30-321footers have a nice big aft cabin as well as the forward. Need some beam to do it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 11:56   #20

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Lot of good advice here, especially, giving up the idea that sleeping quarters on a sailboat should be called a "stateroom"!

I would also advise being flexible about two separate cabins. ............ A second "separate cabin" on older boats much under 40' is going to be a quarter berth, which is going to be much less comfortable than using the saloon.

Don't overcomplicate it! A somewhat bigger boat will automatically solve the accommodation problem.
My owner's cabin as the literature calls it (aft cabin) is way nicer than sleeping in the salon. Night and day different. The best accommodations on my boat is where the literature says it is. Sleeping in the salon galley is like sleeping in the fold away bed in an RV. The microwave only looks like a TV when it is not running. Lol

The cost to maintain a 40' boat, like I already said, is twice that of a 30' boat. If money grows on trees, go big. Also the comfort level of handling a larger boat in a marina goes way down. Much easier putting a 30 something boat into a slip, rather than a 40 something boat.

Bigger shoes than you need are not more comfortable. Same for sailboats and sea shells. Get the boat that is a perfect fit.

Teens are all about privacy. Find a sailboat with opportunities for privacy, and you will have a happy family.