Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 13:18   #16

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: 1988 Gulf PIlot House 32 Ft.

Yes my compass is mounted on the inside pedestal as well. I was concerned about the steering mechanism but cant really see it having that kind of effect. If the rudder sensor does not fix the problem then I will tear the fluxgate out..

Stu..thanks. I actually found this site or one very similar before and believe me when I say that I have tried every single possible setting and variation available on a 6 hour run down the strait in calm seas. However that being said, I believe there still may be some other ghost in the machine as I notice that the pathfinder chartplotter tells me that my goto bearing to a waypoint is about 20 degrees off of the actual, even though the gps long and lat position is identical to my secondary gps nav..a Lowrance Elite with navionics charts. This is confusing to no end and I am thinking may have more to do with the problem than I think.
Ed-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 13:54   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Hi
just ran into this older thread and thought perhaps you can provide me some info,initially interested on the 29 as will suffice for my needs,however a 32 may be?
Nevertheless the questions I have apply to either as the configuration for the rigging look similar? from the pictures.
First question is how difficult is to keep those chainplates that are thru deck mounted water tight?
Second,any particula concerns about soft spots because of above?
Any structural problems to be aware?
thanks for your time
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 14:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Hi
just ran into this older thread and thought perhaps you can provide me some info,initially interested on the 29 as will suffice for my needs,however a 32 may be?
Nevertheless the questions I have apply to either as the configuration for the rigging look similar? from the pictures.
First question is how difficult is to keep those chainplates that are thru deck mounted water tight?
Second,any particula concerns about soft spots because of above?
Any structural problems to be aware?
thanks for your time
David
I cant tell you about the chain plates, but I've been on both years ago and the 32 felt a lot bigger for some reason.
I'd be concerned about any boat with thru deck penetrations, but most have that so just inspect well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:29   #19

Boat: Gulf 32

Hi Davil
The chainplate covers on deck need to be sealed and resealed each season. I have gone two seasons but that was due to not a lot of action that year. Poor design but manageable. Those deck fittings were always the worst design features imaginable. I am planning to rebuild them next year, so that tells you that they have held up since 1982 anyway. The stanchions also will need rebedding. The delamination that occurs on the decks of these production boats is widespread from that era and type of boat. I have experience in redecking a different boat from the era and I have a friend with a Gulf 32 that has had his boat redecked in a yard...$20,000. I am planning to do some deck work in the next year or so, but so far she is not leaking into the cabins so not overly concerned. Will cut the deck open and replace the balsa with marine ply as well as solidly bed all the stanchions in solid glass and fit a new chainplate base that bolts to the deck rather than the set up they originally put in there. Otherwise I have rebuilt the anchor locker as the original design let the deck water flow out through the locker which caused some issues with the PO, causing me to have to replace the forward bulkhead, I remeadied that by closing in the locker and putting scuppers in. As far as structural issues I haven't found any..she is solid built. I have had her on the hard all winter and repowered with new Beta35. As well I replaced all the through hull valves and four through hull fittings. The original plastic gate valves were at the end of their lives...not an acceptable type for the ABYC of course and the backing plates slapped on by Capital Yachts were mostly turned to mush. So The replacements are all Tru Design composite fittings and ball valves. Nice to work with and epoxied right into the hull so no two material flexing. Any how we enjoy our motorsailer. She is comfy in the big short period waves we get here and sails quite nicely in a favourable breeze. Being full keeled and quite heavy for its length. 9 tons dry. Good luck.https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...5;src=postname
Ed-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:49   #20

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Thank you Ed for taking the time,this is a very complete overview and practical ideas,will print your response and have it ready if and when check a boat am interested.
No surprise on your findings however answer my concerns,used to own a Tartan 34 1978 and is almost a repeat of the problems I had regarding leaking stanchions,chain plates etc.
Again,thank you very much,very very useful.
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote