Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 16:00   #1

1988 Catalina 36

As you may recall, we sold our little 1982 Cherubini designed Hunter 25 and moved from the Midwest to Vancouver, WA and the Columbia River. It was always in our plan to buy a new boat and continue our life of sailing. After some looking around in the Portland area we came across a boat we fell in love with!

The boat in question is a 1988 Catalina 36. She's in good condition though there are signs of neglect from the time she became the sole property of the wife in a divorce. Apparently it was the husband that loved sailing and not so much the wife. Again, overall the boat seems to be in good condition but, of course, a proper survey will vet that out for sure. My problem is the price of the boat, $43k. Seems a wee steep for 26 year old boat.

From what I have seen, this model does seem to hold its value a little better than some other boats similar in size, but I was thinking more along the lines of $30-35k at the most for a boat that will surely need some work, again, how much is yet to be determined. The broker has had this boat for a few months now and I think there should be enough room to negotiate down to somewhere closer to the $35k price at least.

Thoughts?
Old 21-05-2014, 16:23   #2

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Re: 1988 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
...My problem is the price of the boat, $43k. Seems a wee steep for 26 year old boat.
Thoughts?
Mr Mac, seems like a bargain when compared with this '91 C36 listing.
All things considered it does appear to be on the lower rung of pricing when looking at similar listings. If the condition is average or above she should fetch $35k easily.
Old 21-05-2014, 19:41   #3

Oh, my! I guess the $43k ask is a bargain after all!
Old 22-05-2014, 09:56   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Don't forget, you can make a low offer. You might get lucky. And if not, you can always raise your offer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:12   #5

yep, start out about 40% below asking. Don't get emotional, come up with reasons for the lower price. Unknowns etc. "does she know if the keel bolts have been redone?" "although the engine runs it appears to have been neglected a bit" etc.
Her counter offer will tell a lot. If she counters at $40k she's a tough one. If she counters at $34k you've got her!
"there are lots of boats around, I'm looking for a bargain and will buy"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:35   #6

I would normally suggest going to the Forum at Welcome | Catalina 36/375 International Association, but they're rebuilding their forum and it's snafued this week.

$43K sounds a "tad" high for an '86 Mark I. It most likely has an M25 Universal, same engine as mine, great workhorse. I have 2800 engine hours, purrs like a top.

The one thing C36s seem to have in common is, if the PO neglected the chainplate rebedding, the port bulkhead could be soggy, 'cuz it's the only bulkhead chainplate support of the six shrouds on the boat. Check it carefully, you're in rainy country.

Other thing is the mast step support.

The rest of the price depends on what the rest of the important and supplementary equipment is and the condition of same.

Good luck, great boats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 13:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It most likely has an M25 Universal, same engine as mine, great workhorse. I have 2800 engine hours, purrs like a top.
The engine is actually one of my concerns. I spoke to the man who brought her from Newport, OR on the coast and in to where she sits on Hayden Is., OR and he said that while the engine did do the job it seemed a wee tired. Going through that little engine shouldn't be a big deal and the price to do it is reasonable assuming there are no real gotchas with it.

I did find out yesterday that she originally listed the boat for $50k and has since dropped it down to $44k (I said 43 but I was wro..., er, wro...can't say it) so she may be getting to the 'motivated' state we need.

Tomorrow (I hope) we find out from the bank to see what they'll do for us. If we get the go then I'm in for the survey.
Old 22-05-2014, 13:42   #8

Hi, again. Just looked at the photos. That boat looks very good. "Wee tired" engine seems a "wee weak" a point of view. The Oberdorfer is a good rw pump, looks like the seals need to be redone. Hard to tell if it's got the larger 3 inch HX in lieu of the OEM 2 inch one. An easy fix.

Don't know what you know or don't about those engines, but here's everything you'll need to know about them. Read this before the survey so you'll know what to look for.

Diesel Engine - C34

Good luck, could be a great boat for you, looks like they've done a lot of the C36 upgrades that have been recommended over the years.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 19:35   #9

Thanks for the additional info, Stu! My dad was a diesel mechanic for well over 50 years and a lot of that rubbed off though I know nothing about the Universal/Westerbeke power plants.

I do like the boat overall and while I don't hope for anything Earth shattering in the hull I don't mind a few little things here and there to help my position in the price war!
Old 23-05-2014, 07:03   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I owned an '89 version for several years, so have some experience with this model.

These are nice sailing boats, with no serious faults. Built as coastal cruisers, you can still race around the cans respectfully, particularly with the full keel.

Stowage is limited for distance cruisers, but not insurmountable. Engine access is adequate, as is tankage. Rig is basic, keel-stepped and easily tuned. Cockpit is nicely sized. In summary, an honest little boat, though not without some minor quibbles.

The current asking price of $44,000 is not out of line. As for negotiating, if I was the Owner and I received an offer of 60% of asking price ($26,400) as suggested above, I wouldn't even bother with a counter offer as I wouldn't consider that to be a serious bid, just a bottom feeder trying to take advantage of me.

My guess is that the Owner would expect (and accept) an offer closer to 85-90% of asking price, or $37,400 - $39,600. This, in my opinion, is where you should end up. Likely the survey will note something and you can negotiate those repair costs as well, possibly lowering the purchase price even further. At say $38,000 this looks like a very good boat for the price - subject to survey.

I can't conclude without mentioning the benefits of the Catalina Owners Association. This is an invaluable source for technical info, as well as social involvement, that helps to maintain the Catalina value and reputation.

Good luck with your search.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 08:00   #11

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

That is a nice boat for the money. I think if you can get it for under 40k, jump on it, subject to survey and what works and doesn't. When you add up all the extras that you might add to a cheaper boat, like the dodger, swim platform, etc., it looks like a good value. BTW, that M25 is a great engine, a marinized Kubota. Easy to work on and many parts available from Kubota.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:53   #12

We have decided to pass on this boat and continue our search. Thanks for all the replies!

Mac
Old 31-08-2014, 10:50   #13

Boat: Pearson 30

Hello,
I'm looking at C34's and C36's moving up from a Pearson 30.

I've found a few and received a 2006 Survey from the 2nd owner (when he bought it) on a C36
The boat is in the same area and wonder if anyone hesitate to use the same surveyor on the same boat (how does one ask if the Surveyor knows the Owner (remember Impartiality), or would it be best to supply a different surveyor the 2006 report and go from there.
Not sure what the norm is: I've only bought one boat = one survey.

The boat needs some work, but the 2006 survey has it as a Very Good boat, above average at the time.
Now, 7 years have passed, and even with (maybe) minimal servicing, would the boat still be one to consider, or move on?
Need to do a visual, but it's hours away, so wanted to ask this first.
Should I contract with a Surveyor from my area and pay for someone local to me to travel there?
Comments Welcome!!

Thanks,
R
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Robcooper0767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36