Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17   #1

1985 Endeavor 38 Center Cockpit

hello everyone, im new to this site and wanted to see what everyone thought of the endeavour 38 cc (1985). i have looked at the boat, its very roomy inside and seems to be in good shape... the woodwork inside would need a little polishing and the deck painted. i just wanted to get more info, as in the ability to cross the ocean... also, the price, i probably wouldnt pay more than 55,000?

any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Alex
NYCGOLDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 15:50   #2

thanks for all the interesting information...
i have read a lot about the boat, but i just wanted to hear some personal opinions....
i guess not...
NYCGOLDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 16:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
You might wish to try the Endeavourowners.com

There are some E38 owners here, but, apparently they didn't see your post.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 20:08   #4

Endeavours

Hello! I have sailed and lived aboard a 1985 Endeavour 38cc for about 3.5 years on Lake Texoma about 60mi north of Dallas. I have enjoyed the vast amount of space and storage in a boat a little bit shorter than what I was really looking for. It is a heavy boat and won't win any races, but reacts well to puffs and is very forgiving in heavy weather. I have done a slew of upgrades including new steering, full enclosure, arch davits in the works, and a ton of smaller projects. I am very familiar with this boat and would be willing to answer any questions you may have. Endeavourowners.com is a good resource but hasn't been updated for quite some time. By the way, $55,000 seems like a decent price if it's a decent boat. I paid 74,000 for mine and probably overpaid a little, but the boat was close, in great shape, and I have no regrets. Everybody always asks when I'm gonna get a bigger boat...I don't care if I won 5mil tomorrow-I'd probably keep it cuz I'm completely satisfied!
John
FortAwesomeIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 18:41   #5

Boat: Endeavour E40
I have a 40' center cockpit, I agree with the previous post, won't win any races but you're NOT gonna spill your drink when the going gets "rough".
I have no complaints with this boat, big, heavy, fat, VERY comfortable and a great liveaboard!
I would use this boat to cross the ocean because I know this boat, but I have no desire to do that, just using it around the islands.
I looked at a 38" in Fort Lauderdale last year, I think it's still for sale.
Good Luck
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 09:26   #6

Nice live-aboard and coastal boat and good for the Bahamas and the islands. But NOT a blue water boat by design. Good sailing performance.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 10:34   #7

Boat: Endeavour E40
This is what I have a problem with....... BLUEWATER vs COASTAL.
I've chartered MORGAN I/O 41's in the Carribean back when that was the primary rental boat and hundreds were used for that purpose.
Having said that, we've been in TREMENDOUS storms offshore, for instance, down in the TORTUGAS, when I became most "religious" due to waves breaking over the entire length of the boat and being tied down to the cockpit (which was awash) so we wouldn't get washed overboard.
I'm born and raised in FLORIDA and have been in the worst storms, many while on a boat, so I know what a "storm" means.
However, most people consider the MORGAN a coastal boat, but from what I've been thru on those boats I WOULD cross the ocean.... call me crazy, but with today's instant weather info anywhere in the world you can pretty much avoid the worst storms.
I've NEVER heard of a MORGAN 41 going down in a storm, or anyplace else, for that matter! I've never owned a MORGAN but feel the same about ENDEAVOURS as far as their ability at sea...... Afterall, the Carribean has as many bad storms as anyplace and you just don't hear of boats going down unless it's the crews fault or something wrong with the boat, and I'm speaking of if you have "cruising control" of the boat. What's the difference from being 5 miles off-shore Key West as opposed to 1,000 miles into the PACIFIC.... granted, assistance is questionable.
I'm willing to bet that "coastal" cruisers have circumnavigated, people do it with boats under 10'......... I guess it's just a matter of opinion..... and everybody has one.
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 11:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
HC - I agree. I'm always suspect of someone whose credentials are unknown, making a blanket statement without any factual information (such as you provided). Having owned and sailed an Endeavour for over 7 years, I TOO would have no problems taking my boat any place - and having been on and looked at the 38s, I would have no problem with them either. They are a very stoutly built boat. We ain't gonna win any races, but we'll eat, drink, and sleep well.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 11:41   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
What is an 'offshore boat'? There are, lets face it, numerous books on the subject. And while you can circumnavigate in a Catalina 27 (its been done), even the man who did it does not claim that it was a 'bluewater boat by design'.

The designs of all boats are a compromise. The design compromises for an 'offshore' or 'blue-water' monohull will tend to feature solid (albeit not necessarily heavy) construction, a small cockpit, good balance and tracking ability, smaller portlights designed to withstand a knockdown, proper sea berths, numerous handholds, positive locks for all cupboards/floor boards, a secure galley design for use while underway, a proper chart table/nav station, an easily accessible emergency tiller, adequate tankage, a decent amount of rocker in order to avoid pounding upwind in a seaway, a high bridgedeck, the ability (at minimum) to claw off a lee shore, no period of inverse stability (and hopefully much better than that), solid bow rollers for at least 2 anchors, etc., etc.

Likely the Endeavour 38 cc was not designed or built for offshore. That being said, it could no doubt be much more easily upgraded for that purpose than a Catalina 27: in fact, the reference by owners to her apparently solid construction and stability in heavy weather bode well as these are things that are very difficult to upgrade or change.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 10:54   #10

Endeavour 38

Greetings to one and all
I am another newbie to the forum and have a few questions for the group

1 does anyone know if a 38 sloop can readily be made into a cutter rig ?
has anyone got a set of specs for this the 37.38 were made as cutters any one got a real sailplan and owners manual.

3. has anyone insatalled central air is one

4 has anyone rigged one for singlehanding

These boats look great how do they handle in light air

Many thanks in advance

fair winds to all
medbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:21   #11

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
You might want to post this as a new thread rather than hijacking the OP's intent/message.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29   #12

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: 1985 Endeavor 38 Center Cockpit

We have a 43 ft Endeavor Ketch and as all have said before it won't win any races but she is beaitul to sail, heaving to is easy to maintain with the mizen, more sail plans . We live aboard and still are amazed at the storage and comfort she affords us. A/C heat, genset, watermaker are great assests we have and add to our comfort but with the Endeavor she can be an "unstopable boat" (meaning if one system goes down (ie electric; hit by lightening) will she be able to continue to sail) She weathers gales really well due to her heavy weight. And as one fellow previously said, if we won a million dollars we wouldn't trade her in for anything. A complete live aboard with room to spare and all the comfort you'd want.

Tags
center cockpit