Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2010, 17:11   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
1985 Catalina 25 Leaking

We sail a 25 ft Catalina that has been taking on water in the bilge. It seems water comes in while under sail, and it appears its coming in from above deck. Water runs down the inside cabin wall above the head sink, starboard side, about mid ship. Could water be coming in from under the rub rail, maybe where the deck and hull join? Any thoughts?
Naughtycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:17   #2

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
That, or if you have holes on top of the deck near the rub rail. Not sure if you have a solid rub rail, or if you have a rubber covered rub rail with rivets just holding the joint together. My dad's old 1978(?) South Coast 22 had the rubber rail and it would leak at times under sail. He took the rub rail off, caulked all the joints all around and all rivets with sealant and it took care of the leak.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:47   #3

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the rub rail is rubber inside a metal casing holding it top and bottom. I looked briefly at it for a way to remove it, but didn't really see how. What's the best way to remove it? Was the rub rail replaced on your Dad's sailboat, or just left off?
Old 24-10-2010, 19:36   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and good luck on finding the leak. The rubber or plastic that fills the aluminum extrusion is usually removed by squeezing the sides together and popping it out if the track. There are probably rivets under the rubber rub rail. That might be where you leak is.
A good way to find a leak is to get someone below and have a hose above with a bit of pressure. Once you've removed that rubber strip then hose it down thoroughly and ask the person down below if they see a leak. Go to all your ports and do the same. Do the same at all your jib tracks and cleats that might be in that area and your chainplates. My Catalina 22 to had leaky ports until I rebedded them.
kind regards,
Old 24-10-2010, 23:34   #5
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Leaks could be from one or more of several sources, such as chain plates, stanchions, genoa track fasteners, hull to deck joint, grab rail fasteners, fill plate fasteners, etc. Finding leaks isn't fun, but a high pressure hose and some strategically place paper towels or someone below looking, will eventually find it. Considering the yacht age, I'll bet everything needs to be re-bedded.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37   #6

Just wanted to report back to the forum on our leak findings.... We couldn't find it.

When we first arrived at the boat, the bilge was bone dry. "Yay". We know we had a couple of days of hard rain in the last two weeks. Then took a hose and sprayed down the deck and sprayed up and down the rub rail. No leaks were seen below. Also, the anchor locker was dry. Took her sailing in some great wind and had her healed over to the rail. No water leaks were seen while under sail. Once we docked, I tightened down every screw on deck I could find. I found several stachion screws, a couple chain plate screws, and a few genoa track screws that needed tightened.

So right now everything looks ok. We'll continue to monitor this and let you know if we find anything. Thanks!

Tags
catalina, leaks