Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2006, 17:38   #1

Boat: Oday 28
1984 Hunter 34'

Hi all

As of now we have a 28' Oday. We love it yet she is getting a little small. I have been looking around for a nice 34-36 footer. I have noticed a lot of hunter 34s. They are well priced and are layed out well. How do these boats sail? Are they fast? Are they well made?

Any help is apreaciated.

thx
-Alex
ScratchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 10:01   #2

Check out hunterowners.com and you will probably get more response. There you will find information on what to look for when shopping for a H34, etc. We have a H34 and really like the boat depending on your intentions. Good value in a coastal cruiser - probably not the best choice for a bluewater boat though. Great layout and lots of space. Good fast boat in light air, but tend to be tender as well both due to a big rig and lots of sail (just reef soon and no big deal).

As far as well made - they are production boats and you pay for what you get. You will hear a lot of negative things about Hunters - take all those comments with a grain of salt. If these boats are so horrible, why do so many people keep buying them. Enjoy the H34!
cheslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 10:15   #3

Boat: C&C 27
I've sailed and partied on a friends Hunter 34 (year unknown). It is a good bay boat. My only complaint was not being able to see the exhaust from the cockpit.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 11:59   #4

Boat: Currently Boatless
I agree the cheslr. I have a 91 3 7 5. Build quality is average, some things are poorly done, especially when you start poking your head around in the hidden areas. For example on my boat the cockpit lazerettes are not separated from the main hull. If these were ever breached for whatever reason, you would sink the boat (hence not a good candidate for blue water).

That being said, the boat does not do any one thing well but certainly gives something in all areas, maybe not to the highest possible standard. I also agree they are somewhat tender, with large sail areas (I can get hull speed in 9 or 10 knot breeze, you want to start thinking about reefing at 12-14 knots.). Interior layout is excellent for a coastal cruiser, couldn't find much in this price range that could touch it.
For me, interior layout gets higher ranking than some of the other issues (i.e. on the 3 7 5, large aft cabin, separate shower stall, decent sized head, lots of seating at the table, more than enough storage below for coastal cruising).

Kevin
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 14:07   #5

Boat: Ensenada 20
Thumbs down

We chartered a Hunter 34 in the BVI's a few years and were not impressed. It seemed cheaply and lightly built and outfitted. I especially disliked the traveller arrangement.

We chartered an ODay 322 (I think that was the designation) a few summers on Long Island Sound, and consider the ODay superior to the Hunter in most all categories.

We've also sailed several Catalina 22's, 25's and 27's, and though they are also "production" boats, I found them to be of better quality than the Hunter.

In fairness, we had just the one week with the Hunter 34.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter