Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 14:25   #1

1981 65' Irwin CC Ketch

What is the general feeling on these larger Irwins? I know the 30 to 40 footers don't rate very high with this bunch. Do the larger boats do any better? This one is on the hard in my local marina and in need of repair. But it is close and for sale. I would prefer a 50 to 55 ft boat but this may be a really good price considering it needs some work to get back to shipshape. It meets some of my criteria, center cockpit ketch rigged, sleeps 8 and has 3 cabins. If any of you have a good handle for what constitutes a good deal on a boat this size I would love to know what that figure might be!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 02:14   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day DSD,

FWIW, the only Irwin 65 I've ever been on had truly inadequate deck hardware everywhere one looked. Don't know if it was typical, but it scared the hell out of me... stuff that was smaller than that on my 36 foot sloop at the time.

Don't know what service you intend for this boat, but if it includes sailing in any sort of severe (or even moderate) weather, have a good look at the rig, blocks, traveller, cleats, winches and so on.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz
Old 19-01-2011, 02:43   #3
cruiser

irwinj65

know this irwin your looking at with with 8 ft. feel/draft,,,if same in usa email me as i might be intyeresrted if tou are going to buy,,what you want to do ..sail personally or try to vfind a chaRTER CO/.
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 02:44   #4
cruiser

IS THIS A REAL DEAL AT 100K USD,AT LEAST IT IS SITTING IN FLORIDA CLOSEWV TO DEALS ON SAILS ETC.
Old 19-01-2011, 03:02   #5
cruiser

Thumbs up BANK REPO

INSIDE INFO SAYS TYHIS IRWQIN GOES FOR B65000 SO GOVERN YOURSELF ACCLRDINGLY,,,
Old 19-01-2011, 05:16   #6

Irwin

Yes its a bank repo...yes it needs lots of work. I guess my question is structually is it something that will last. I plan on using it as a live aboard first (fix it up a bit) then sail for a few years and then let the kids live on it while in college. All 3 of them would cycle through it over a 6 year period of time. Then sail it again keeping mostly to carribean, central and south america. Finanacing it with all the money I saved from dorm housing! So I need a boat that can do it all with room for a family of five and all their friends. If it is something that will require constant fiberglass work due to flexing, crazing, scalding, delamination then i would probably pass.
Old 24-01-2011, 19:30   #7
cruiser

solid?

not sure if i pressed right button to send r delete response to your inqiury,,your plans for future use as housing sounds smart,,these are built pretty tough boats with glass decks and minimal woodwork to maintain,,if this same boat with huttub on aft deck it definite deal at 1000ft,,surprised no sailors have commented on this model as many were chartered in the 80s by charter co,,,i have sailed a 65 on several occasions but never in seas over 10ft or high winds so dont feel qualified to comment on the toughness of its rigging or adequatecy of winches etc,,the 2 large winches on the aft deck behind the cockpit made things easy but i suppose the interior cockpit winchescould be larger,,i recall it was an 84-86 model with a large lazarette on the stern that was huge,,very comfortable liveaboard with a/c working in hot areas,,generator a little noisy being under the salon floor but if it needs replacement i would think modern quieter models are available,,was even space for washer/dryer off galley on model i was on and 81 probably same,,lot of boat that 5 people would find great with three heads and 3 private staterooms,,good luck if you put offer in,,
Old 24-01-2011, 20:01   #8

Thumbs down Irwin update

Finally went by to take a look. Wow thats a lot of boat. Every thru hull, port hole, hatch, screw you name it, it looks to be leaking and all the wood work was prettymuch destroyed. One would spend more time trying to salvage than if just ripped out and replaced. The hull looked sound enough but everything else needs replacing. It looks as though one would be buying a hull, a motor and a transmission. Rigging needed replacement, all wiring is shot, no A/C's, did have a combo washerdryer but it is destroyed, masts have been removed but are there and not in good shape. Probably was a very nice sailboat at one time. Looks to have been made for blue water cruising. I would be working on that thing for several years and probably spend 200K on gettining it back to ship shape...think I'll pass. Don't know if I could afford to take it if they were giving it away. The search continues..Having seen the size of that one I think a nice 52 ft would be easier to handle and maintain and park and sail.
Old 25-01-2011, 06:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Don't know if I could afford to take it if they were giving it away..
unfortunately, this is true for a lot of older boats. this one was easy to discern, sometimes it's not so apparent to a novice buyer.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 07:04   #10
cruiser

needs woodwork?

thanks for quick reply,,not sure if you got private email but i know of other 65 lying carribean that owner talked of listing this year and wants me to bringstateside,figured it serious project at that price,,macgregor made 65 model popular in us market than had lower retail price and less interior wood with euro look interior and molded swim platform on stern,,also a faster sailboat,,might be deals in your area ,,also noticed alot of x-charter 473 beneteaus online{like those too} that are late models in croatia to BVImoorings site,,thats nice choice around 50ft,,if your flexible on model there are alot listed on net,,good luck searching
Old 27-03-2011, 12:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: 1981 65' Irwin CC Ketch

Hello,

how much would you folks estimate the fair value of this Irwin 65 to be?
It sunk last year (photo is from September 1, 2010), so I would presume everything inside is a write-off...?

Carnage closeup. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 22:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Is there a storey here?

Would this be the boat described as in "need of some refurbishing having recently suffered some storm damage."
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 23:08   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Is there a storey here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
That's the one, but surely everything inside is damaged beyond repair..? wood, engine, generator, electrics and electronics... everything?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 00:47   #14

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: Is there a storey here?

Ask the seller. "Some storm damage" might be an understatement. The price would be rather affordable for a boat that size

Tags
Irwin