Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 14:33   #1

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42
1980 Vagabond 42

I have been looking off and on for years for a sailboat to be my new home. I have missed several over the past 2 years because i just did not just pull the trigger so to speak. One even sold the day before I made an offer, figures...Thought about it to long, to many issues, to expensive, repairs, and location. Just not the right look seemed to be my main issue. Why were all the boats I wanted on the west coast??? Im in Florida on the Gulf Coast. Anyway..
I have found what I so hope to be the one. 1980 42 Vagabond. Sails are good, standing and running rigging is good and the Ford Lehman runs. She needs paint, a new Frig, AC, and get the leaks fixed on all ports and 1 hatch. Did a mention that she will sail? Some wood rot here and their but to be expected. I needed something to do this winter anyway.
Now for the question: The 65hp Ford Lehman, Is it hard to get parts for it?
Issues I should be aware of? I have looked and the main thing I found was dont get a rope stuck in the shaft. Could pull the motor from its mounts..
I am open for anything in regards to this boat. Positive and negative. The check will be handed off on the 23rd so I have till then. Otherwise their will be a new Pirate on the Emerald Coast.
As always I thank everyone for their vast knowledge here..

James
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 20:26   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: 1980 Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrigger View Post
I have been looking off and on for years for a sailboat to be my new home. I have missed several over the past 2 years because i just did not just pull the trigger so to speak. One even sold the day before I made an offer, figures...Thought about it to long, to many issues, to expensive, repairs, and location. Just not the right look seemed to be my main issue. Why were all the boats I wanted on the west coast??? Im in Florida on the Gulf Coast. Anyway..
I have found what I so hope to be the one. 1980 42 Vagabond. Sails are good, standing and running rigging is good and the Ford Lehman runs. She needs paint, a new Frig, AC, and get the leaks fixed on all ports and 1 hatch. Did a mention that she will sail? Some wood rot here and their but to be expected. I needed something to do this winter anyway.
Now for the question: The 65hp Ford Lehman, Is it hard to get parts for it?
Issues I should be aware of? I have looked and the main thing I found was dont get a rope stuck in the shaft. Could pull the motor from its mounts..
I am open for anything in regards to this boat. Positive and negative. The check will be handed off on the 23rd so I have till then. Otherwise their will be a new Pirate on the Emerald Coast.
As always I thank everyone for their vast knowledge here..

James
Hi James, I don't know about the Vagabonds or the Ford Lehmans, sorry I am not much help. But when you say it runs, I am guessing it needs work? There is a rope around the shaft? Sounds like there are some other issues too. Did you get a really good deal on it? I learned the hard way that when you are buying a boat you are buying an engine.. that is if it is not in good shape, it is not cheap to replace or repair.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 21:50   #3

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42

I was looking for info and experience with these boats. While researching a post I read mentioned a rope around a shaft and it pulled the engine from the mounts.... No their are no major issues. Engine starts and runs, in and out of gear worked smooth. Standing rigging some replaced not all. Sails are in good shape and are not original to the boat. Age of the sails I dont know. The original owner died and I have yet to go threw all the paperwork. I work offshore and should take possession on the 21st. Been on board twice and went threw everything I could. Some wood rot 2 spots in the floor. Mostly needs paint and new gaskets on the ports, AC and a New Frig compressor. Lots of cleaning. Dodger and sail covers are rotten. But the potential is their and Im off 14 days at a time. I figure paint the top new gaskets, and fresh bottom paint back in the water. Sail when I want and work on the rest over the winter.
Its been a long time coming and this one has the space to be an awesome live aboard. My goal over the years looking was to get a boat that could sail away at the time of purchase. With what I had to spend I knew she was not going to be perfect from the get go. The boat just had to work and be something I wanted to work and live on. Most production boats just didn't do it for me. The look of this boat is incredible and I guess I can see threw all the mess and see her whole again. Im looking forward to sailing her and adding a lot of sweat equity.
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 16:05   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

From afar it's a great looking boat, looks to be huge inside and the aft stateroom looks great too. Congratulations!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 16:28   #5

There was a thread on the Lehman 65 just the other day here. Might try to find that. I've heard nothing bad about the V42.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote