Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 22:28   #46

Re: 1980 C&C 40 as a blue water boat?

That Spencer is sounding better and better. I've never met a shipwright that would have his dad on a less than solid boat.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:33   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

We had planned to do the Alaska outside run but his macular degeneration was to advanced. But the boat is a real piece of junk you don't want anything to do with it. I'm on it every 3 days keeping things up to snuff.
Old 21-03-2016, 22:39   #48

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
We had planned to do the Alaska outside run but his macular degeneration was to advanced. But the boat is a real piece of junk you don't want anything to do with it. I'm on it every 3 days keeping things up to snuff.
How far from EB1 is the boat located?
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:48   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
How far from EB1 is the boat located?
? Don't understand the EB1 reference but its about a mile from the interstate 5 and I 705 interchangejust past the i705 wa 509 interchange
Old 21-03-2016, 22:57   #50

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
? Don't understand the EB1 reference but its about a mile from the interstate 5 and I 705 interchangejust past the i705 wa 509 interchange
EB1 is the terminal off of Alexander AVE over at the port where they have all of the heavy equipment.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 23:00   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
EB1 is the terminal off of Alexander AVE over at the port where they have all of the heavy equipment.
OK got ya I never went there I ran heavy hotshots. Its about an hours walk away or about a 7 min drive.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:55   #52

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
I've been shopping around for my first boat, going to live aboard and cruise. I will be stationed out of Seattle.

I found THIS BOAT

It seems to me as though she has potential.

Looks to me like with some love she would be a really nice boat.

I was wondering if anyone else here has a C&C 40 that can share their experiences with this boat
I owned one years ago.... decent sailing boat... I assume she has a centerboard? A little more for racing than live aboard... but a good decent all around boat. The sleeping quarters are more for sailing than living aboard... but she will get the job done. She will out-sail most cruisers though... with some tough rigging and a dependable engine... she would go Blue Water.

I was knocked down by a powerful storm off the coast of N. Carolina (Frying Pan Shoals) years back on my 40' CC with a micro-burst.... she came right back up ready for more... she was a good strong boat. I remember that I clocked over 10 nts. in the Gulf Stream sailing up from Florida with her and with 12-15 nts. of wind. Going down wind she could surf in a blow... nice lines on her too...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:01   #53

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The C&C40 would make an excellent bluewater cruiser.

I expect it came originally with an excellent yanmar engine.

In particular, the layout below is excellent...my dream, actually. HUGE quarter berth (big enough for a couple, or a deflated dinghy), and those upper pilot berths...if you have kids they are perfect.

I sail on Lake Ontario, home of C&C. I've owned 3 (so far) and sailed on many more. Other posters are correct...check for core damage in the deck...but by now it likely has already been repaired. Some models of C&C were cored in the hull above the waterline...check this closely too. However, its not all bad...if the core is solid, you get a strong, lightweight boat with good insulating properties. In general the lead keel castings are good, and although keel bolts have been discussed as suspect, I have not read a single report of actual keel bolt failure on a C&C...they were well sealed.

Its a quality boat, and a real beauty. I hope you get it. If it were closer to home, I'd buy it myself...the asking price is reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	121267  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:21   #54

Boat: Shannon 38

I have sailed C&C 42 (dee keel) charter boats in the BVIs and they do go like a bat out of He.... My prejudice, and it is my own, is that a heavily built lead encapsulated full keel US built in the 1970s to early 1980s will protect you in heavy and unpredictable seas like nothing else will and if I were in a real big hurry to get someplace, I would be taking a plane and not sailing.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:21   #55

Boat: Shannon 38

t was a 41 sorry for the typo
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 14:18   #56

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Thanks for the info! You are right on the rudder, it is the only thing that really concerns me on this boat.
The boat is probably more than 30 years old. A little hunting will tell you if it has been an issue prior. If not I would say you'd be good. History is the best indicator of problems.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 14:44   #57

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I can attest to the strength of the C&C boats too, I've also taken a knockdown in one, got flattened for what seemed like forever while the cockpit started to fill, once I let go of the headsail it came right back up, cockpit drained quickly and we were back up and moving.
Because we had full sails up when we got hit by the microburst I thought he rigging would be loose for sure, I checked it with the tension meter the next day and it was still the way I set it up a month earlier.
CHeck for water intrusion around the chainplates, check around the deck hardware, they didn't put solid glass around many of the deck hardware intrusions and if not properly bedded there will be water intrusion.
I suggest anyone buying a C&C to fill those areas with solid resin with filler to seal them.
Did I mention they sail beautifully?
I think I'm missing my old one......
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 14:46   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I have surveyed eight 41' C&C's. They were all balsa cored to within 18" of the keel and all suffered from serious core decay below the water line. Four had serious grid issues around the keel. Three had serious bulkhead separations.
Old 22-03-2016, 20:55   #59

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hey Nick, here is another in the area, not sure if this type of boat is of interest, I know she will not strike anyone as "roomy" for a boat with 41' LOA, but they are famous, they were built strong, long keel, narrow beam old school CCA design, and love to sail on their side about 20 degrees. I think most folks would agree the design is very sea-worthy and sea-kindly, like the Spencer. This one appears to be in good shape also, and has been cared for, and appears to have a beautifully re-done interior.
1959 Phil Rhodes Design 1959 Bounty II Sloop sailboat for sale in Washington
It's just another one that I would look at.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 22:14   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey Nick, here is another in the area, not sure if this type of boat is of interest, I know she will not strike anyone as "roomy" for a boat with 41' LOA, but they are famous, they were built strong, long keel, narrow beam old school CCA design, and love to sail on their side about 20 degrees. I think most folks would agree the design is very sea-worthy and sea-kindly, like the Spencer. This one appears to be in good shape also, and has been cared for, and appears to have a beautifully re-done interior.
1959 Phil Rhodes Design 1959 Bounty II Sloop sailboat for sale in Washington
It's just another one that I would look at.
Yes, I've seen her, not been aboard but it looks to be built like a tank, very solid. Everytime Ive strolled the docks, she catches my eye, and draws me near, beautiful design.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water