Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 17:56   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: 1980 C&C 40 as a blue water boat?

One more note, if a spade rudder is properly designed and executed it should be fully dependable, but, it is still open to damage from striking an underwater object or in a sever grounding.
On the C&C I owned the rudder was shallower than the keel, so it was not as prone to damage as some more modern designs where the rudder is pretty much as deep as the keel.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 18:45   #32

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
THe C&C line were solidly built with decent quality and finish. I'm not aware of blistering issues in my experience.
As for the rudders I've not heard of any rudder issues with their spade rudders, unfortunately some more modern production boats (by others) with spade rudders seem to have had a higher rate of failures.
although they were well made the quality of those boats is totally dependent on how well they've been maintained. There was an earlier mention of leaks at the toe rail, those boats used butyl rubber as part of the seal between the hull and deck, if properly maintained there should be no leaks, but if it's been smacked or beaten up theres a possibility. THe last C&c I had leaked at 3 blots along the whole toerail, pulling those 3 bolts, pushing some good quality butyl rubber tape into the holes and replacing the bolts fixed it.
A good survey would be a wise choice, if the boat has been well taken care of it might be a good choice. They sail well and are a hoot to sail on. All depends on what floats your boat. By the way, you can always add an inner forestay, I did on my last C&C to carry a storm jib, it worked fine.
Good information, thank you.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:00   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
I had seen this one on Craigslist, the photos of it are much better here.

I am not sure how I feel about it, the mint green color really turns me off.

Otherwise looks like the boat has potential. Is this your boat?
Nick yes that's my dads boat . It is actually light blue. Not green
Old 21-03-2016, 19:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
One more note, if a spade rudder is properly designed and executed it should be fully dependable, but, it is still open to damage from striking an underwater object or in a sever grounding.
On the C&C I owned the rudder was shallower than the keel, so it was not as prone to damage as some more modern designs where the rudder is pretty much as deep as the keel.
My Lancer is a C&C design, that was one of the things that I liked, the encapsulated keel is much lower than the fin rudder, and still turn's on a dime.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Nick yes that's my dads boat . It is actually light blue. Not green
She really is a great looking boat. I bet he spent a ton on that very nice hard dodger? Was that custom or something more off the self?
Top side paint may be the cheapest "update" to make also.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 19:22   #36

Boat: Able 50

It beats me why anyone would choose an ex racer over a dock queen. Look for something that has been used 3 days a year. There are thousands of them out there and plenty of those are C & C boats.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 20:40   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As far as "bluewater" I'd take a good look at the Spencer. As far as strength and sea-kindliness, again I'd look at the Spencer. The beauty in that boat likely lies more in what you cannot see, not what you can. Almost all the boats built in the 60s were built rock-solid. The long keel and attached rudder have advantages in simplicity and strength. I am not sure if the lead ballast is encapsulated. If so, that is a plus. (I can see that sailboatdata has measurements wrong for it, maybe Newhaul can clarify details on ballast and waterline?) For speed and maneuverability, the Cooper would be better. Price seems low though, I wonder why?
The more I look at the Spencer, the more I like it; I am looking past the need for freshening up and dated interior items and more to what the boat is capable of. But that's just me!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 21:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
As far as "bluewater" I'd take a good look at the Spencer. As far as strength and sea-kindliness, again I'd look at the Spencer. The beauty in that boat likely lies more in what you cannot see, not what you can. Almost all the boats built in the 60s were built rock-solid. The long keel and attached rudder have advantages in simplicity and strength. I am not sure if the lead ballast is encapsulated. If so, that is a plus. (I can see that sailboatdata has measurements wrong for it, maybe Newhaul can clarify details on ballast and waterline?) For speed and maneuverability, the Cooper would be better. Price seems low though, I wonder why?
The more I look at the Spencer, the more I like it; I am looking past the need for freshening up and dated interior items and more to what the boat is capable of. But that's just me!
I do like a lot of things about that spencer, I think I am going to take a good hard look at it.
Old 21-03-2016, 21:03   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last year I had the spencer up to 11.8 knots on the paddlewheel. The lead is encapsulated. As far as the interior the fridge is a brand new cool blue system the shipmate propane stove is less than 5 years old the galley fawcett and all the freshwater plumbing was replaced. 18 months ago.
Old 21-03-2016, 21:09   #40

If you are lucky, the owners of the boats you are looking at will take you out on a nice windy day so you can get a real feel for how she will be when you are on your way somewhere. Even better if there are some good sized swells. All boats feel good and behave well when they are motoring around on a calm day. Might be hard to find those conditions in the Seattle area.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-03-2016, 21:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Last year I had the spencer up to 11.8 knots on the paddlewheel. The lead is encapsulated. As far as the interior the fridge is a brand new cool blue system the shipmate propane stove is less than 5 years old the galley fawcett and all the freshwater plumbing was replaced. 18 months ago.
Hmm... getting better all the time! How's the engine? Wait... am I the one shopping? Oh yeah that's right, it's Nick. Dangnabbit.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-03-2016, 21:16   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would be glad to do that just would.d prefer not to need to use the storm try or storm jib but if thats what it takes for you to love it hope you like the gulf of Alaska. Bring the food and bed roll
Old 21-03-2016, 21:17   #43

Quote:
Hmm... getting better all the time! How's the engine? Wait... am I the one shopping? Oh yeah that's right, it's Nick. Dangnabbit.
Damn ya'll makin me think I need to go lick it and claim it as mine so no one else wants to touch it! lol
Old 21-03-2016, 21:19   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
840 hours last oil analysis came back clean ( was new in 04 )
I mean its total junk. ( I want the boat to)
Also I'm a retired shipwright .
Old 21-03-2016, 21:38   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you really want to see how the boat handles the seas well this is hull #7. And hull #11 is in charter service in Thailand. Rent it for a coupe weeks. LOL

Tags
water