Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 13:36   #16

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: 1980 C&C 40 as a blue water boat?

Have you made a list of what your future boat must have, and what would be nice to have? That makes looking for boats a lot easier.

For instance, my personal must-haves included: keel stepped mast, rudder on skeg, 2 long and comfortable settees (no dinette), L or U shaped galley, deep cockpit etc.
Would be nice included things like: head near the entrance, actual door to close off V-berth, no "mid cockpit traveler" etc.

Obviously, those were just my personal wannahaves, yours can be totally different. May want to add a budget too But knowing what you want / are looking for makes selecting boats a whole lot easier.
Old 21-03-2016, 14:16   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The list of deal breakers is a really good one to have. It can also be used to filter out unwanted yacht brokers, 'cause the guy who says, "there is no such boat, get out of here, you're wasting my time," is really not one you can work with. And of course getting clear enough to have your wants clear really helps. Hudson Force had a list of about 10 essentials he posted in another thread recently. If you're interested, you could PM him.

Our list: no split rigs, keel steppepd mast, skeg rudder, no Volvo engines, no saildrives. Our present boat has swept back spreaders and a fractional rig (7/8) with a solent rig. For cruising, I think in-line spreaders and a cutter rig is probably better, because when you are sailing downwind, you can wing the main out further without chafe, and the inner forestay, with a smaller sail, moves the center of effort aft, and the boat's easier to handle in heavy weather.

Our first Insatiable, which we had for about 20 yrs, had foam cored hull and balsa cored deck. We had to repair the deck in two small repairs, at the chainplate penetrations. A total cored deck repair would be a big PITA. The cored hull was never a problem during our ownership: it made for a quiet boat.

As to the C&C 40, consider what amenities you'd want for cruising. Nice sailing boats.

Ann
Old 21-03-2016, 14:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
The more I look at this boat, the more I realize they are being a bit wishful in their thinking on the price.
Agreed Nick. Look for something that's close to being set up the way you want it. A dodger, costly these days. Updating electronic's is expensive, try to find a boat that has had a recent update. IMO thats's over priced by 10 grand, thats a lot of upgrades.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 14:43   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here's a good one and its in excellent shape
1966 Spencer Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 21-03-2016, 14:46   #20

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Have you made a list of what your future boat must have, and what would be nice to have? That makes looking for boats a lot easier.

For instance, my personal must-haves included: keel stepped mast, rudder on skeg, 2 long and comfortable settees (no dinette), L or U shaped galley, deep cockpit etc.
Would be nice included things like: head near the entrance, actual door to close off V-berth, no "mid cockpit traveler" etc.

Obviously, those were just my personal wannahaves, yours can be totally different. May want to add a budget too But knowing what you want / are looking for makes selecting boats a whole lot easier.
Well that is easy, give me a Catana 47 setup with the owners hull and we will be good to go! lol

I have a list of things I want but for what ever reason finding that perfect boat eludes me. I really like the idea of having a U shaped dinette, where the passage way stays open when the table is in use.

I really like the Jeanneau Voyager's layout, and the swim step on the back.

1990 Jeanneau 11.2 Voyager Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This one is probably going to be a bit far out of my budget as well though.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 14:55   #21

Quote:
I really like the Jeanneau Voyager's layout
That galley ... you'll have to heave-to to cook

Don't just make a list of everything you want - make a MUST HAVE and WISH list.
Big difference - things you can (and will have to) compromise on, and dealbreakers ... and you'll find the boat that's close to perfect for you. Every boat is a compromise, hence the dealbreakers and wishlist
Old 21-03-2016, 14:57   #22

Just for comparison check this, not saying this a better boat or not. Imagine this boat with $10,000 in upgrades and it's still under the price of the other. The Cooper may not be a well known boat but the folks I have heard about that have them say they are very solid boats.

bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5488719715.html
It's not posting the link. trying searching Cooper Banner 37, in Vancover. B.C.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here's a good one and its in excellent shape
1966 Spencer Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I had seen this one on Craigslist, the photos of it are much better here.

I am not sure how I feel about it, the mint green color really turns me off.

Otherwise looks like the boat has potential. Is this your boat?
Old 21-03-2016, 15:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
It's not posting the link.
The forum only understands full links, add the http:// bit: Cooper Banner 37 Sailboat
Old 21-03-2016, 15:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Just for comparison check this, not saying this a better boat or not. Imagine this boat with $10,000 in upgrades and it's still under the price of the other. The Cooper may not be a well known boat but the folks I have heard about that have them say they are very solid boats.

bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/5488719715.html
It's not posting the link. trying searching Cooper Banner 37, in Vancover. B.C.
I am really digging the layout of that Cooper, that is a nice boat, and holy crap the price is right, I am going to have to check that one out, I could be very happy with that setup.
Old 21-03-2016, 15:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Oh using a sewing machine is easy. Done it tons of times. Now making something come out of it that actually matches what you were trying to build...that's a bit more of a challenge
Yes... you shuold see the "birds nests" I make with one!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 15:09   #27

Quote:
That galley ... you'll have to heave-to to cook

Don't just make a list of everything you want - make a MUST HAVE and WISH list.
Big difference - things you can (and will have to) compromise on, and dealbreakers ... and you'll find the boat that's close to perfect for you. Every boat is a compromise, hence the dealbreakers and wishlist
I really want to build a 55' Glen L Lodestar, been in love with that plan since I was a kid, but that is a really really big project and a lot of welding and a lot of $$$$$
Old 21-03-2016, 15:20   #28

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The list of deal breakers is a really good one to have. It can also be used to filter out unwanted yacht brokers, 'cause the guy who says, "there is no such boat, get out of here, you're wasting my time," is really not one you can work with. And of course getting clear enough to have your wants clear really helps. Hudson Force had a list of about 10 essentials he posted in another thread recently. If you're interested, you could PM him.

Our list: no split rigs, keel steppepd mast, skeg rudder, no Volvo engines, no saildrives. Our present boat has swept back spreaders and a fractional rig (7/8) with a solent rig. For cruising, I think in-line spreaders and a cutter rig is probably better, because when you are sailing downwind, you can wing the main out further without chafe, and the inner forestay, with a smaller sail, moves the center of effort aft, and the boat's easier to handle in heavy weather.

Our first Insatiable, which we had for about 20 yrs, had foam cored hull and balsa cored deck. We had to repair the deck in two small repairs, at the chainplate penetrations. A total cored deck repair would be a big PITA. The cored hull was never a problem during our ownership: it made for a quiet boat.

As to the C&C 40, consider what amenities you'd want for cruising. Nice sailing boats.

Ann
You both make some very valid points, and things I have never considered before like how it will be operating with the boat heeled over considering all of my experience is in Power Boats, how I look at the layout comes from that mindset, not walking through a boat when it is leaning and bobbing.

If your grand banks is leaning 15° to starboard you have bigger problems than cooking dinner!
Old 21-03-2016, 15:33   #29

Quote:
If your grand banks is leaning 15° to starboard you have bigger problems than cooking dinner!
Haha! I grew up on motor and sailboats, so I'm familiar with both types / worlds.

Yes, it's very different with sailboats.

The reason I wanted 2 comfortable settees: those are the bunks at sea (with leecloths). An U or L shaped galley will allow you to make a warm drink / meal when the boat is heeling or rolling.

Anyway - lots of things to think about. One persons dealbreaker won't matter to someone else, so you'll have to figure out for yourself what you want, and what you(r boat) need(s).
Old 21-03-2016, 17:52   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

THe C&C line were solidly built with decent quality and finish. I'm not aware of blistering issues in my experience.
As for the rudders I've not heard of any rudder issues with their spade rudders, unfortunately some more modern production boats (by others) with spade rudders seem to have had a higher rate of failures.
although they were well made the quality of those boats is totally dependent on how well they've been maintained. There was an earlier mention of leaks at the toe rail, those boats used butyl rubber as part of the seal between the hull and deck, if properly maintained there should be no leaks, but if it's been smacked or beaten up theres a possibility. THe last C&c I had leaked at 3 blots along the whole toerail, pulling those 3 bolts, pushing some good quality butyl rubber tape into the holes and replacing the bolts fixed it.
A good survey would be a wise choice, if the boat has been well taken care of it might be a good choice. They sail well and are a hoot to sail on. All depends on what floats your boat. By the way, you can always add an inner forestay, I did on my last C&C to carry a storm jib, it worked fine.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water