Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2006, 13:27   #1

Boat: San Juan 28 #160, Stormbringer
1979 Morgan 46 info please

Hello,

I just go hit with a serious case of twofootitis, or in this case I guess it is closer to twentyfootitis.

I have a beautiful San Juan 28. It is great for the type of sailing I do now, mostly day sailing with the occasional lucky weekend. No racing, but that is because I can't round up an interested crew (maybe because I have never raced before, and that might be somewhat uninspiring).

I want to move aboard someday, and I will be taking an extended cruise before I'm 40 (ok so that is my current 10 year plan and only penciled in until I can convince my girlfriend that sharks will not be able to eat us). I am not ready to make the move aboard yet.

A 46 Morgan sloop just came up for sale in my marina, and I think it is exactly the boat I would love to cruise on. My dad partners with me on the current boat and he wants the big boat stuff, AC, generator, floating condo kind of thing. He seems pretty jazzed about it. I love to sail, and know that that stuff just gets in the way, at least right now.

I am aware that every bill will go up exponentially with such a large vessel.

So the question is, how feasible is it to use a large heavy cruising boat for weekend sails? No one will be living on it, so it would be kept ready to go at all times.

Does anyone have any experience with this boat?

How does it sail?

With practice and enough room, would I be able to bring it in and out of the slip a few times each weekend, shorthanded?

I have found mostly info on the OutIslands, not to much on this sloop. The best site I've seen so far is www.libertysails.com, but it is mostly cruising stuff, not as much meat as I would like about the boat. Looks beautiful though.
Old 21-02-2006, 16:52   #2

fla_sail

I like your big ambition. But I would hate to bust your bubble, this soon?

The problem I'm bringing up to you is this. And it's the most important issue here.

When you go up to a boat that size. Do you know if that boat can be singlehanded or not? Usually after 40 feet. They get much harder to control. I'm not saying that it's not possible. But some people have done it!!

I wanted to go big. But the "wise ones," set the story straight for me. When I first joined this forum. So I'm here to help you out with this decision for you.

You did say your dad helps you out on your cruises? If so, then that would be a big bonus for making that decision. On handling a sailboat that large.

Another important issue, and it's very costly. Is to get the mast and rigging setup. So that one person can operate the sailboat singlehanded. It is possible. But, very costly!!

So there's your (two) options. And I hope this'll help you out?

Welcome aboard to the cruisersforum. And I hope to see more contributing posts for you very soon?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan