Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 20:20   #1

1979 Lancer 36

I am considering buying a Lancer 36. Looking for any info on it. What to look out for. Pros and cons. I would like to eventually cruise the pacific. It has a three cylinder yanmar diesel. Thanks
gabrielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 21:07   #2

I don't want to rain on your parade but I would run the other way from a Lancer. My friend used to have a smaller model, and there are a few here in the marina (including a 36). They're notorious for being mass production / low quality boats and at least the two I was on sail like bath tubs. Get some other advice; I might be crazy, but that's been my experience.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 21:28   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Have you looked around here ...LancerOwners.com - Home
Old 05-08-2010, 00:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade but I would run the other way from a Lancer. My friend used to have a smaller model, and there are a few here in the marina (including a 36). They're notorious for being mass production / low quality boats and at least the two I was on sail like bath tubs. Get some other advice; I might be crazy, but that's been my experience.
Rebel Heart,

Thanks for your reply. The seller tells me the boat has been in the transpac 4 times. Also, posted in the add : "The Lancer 36 is a performance cruising version of the famous offshore racer "Chutzpa" designed by Bill Lee and the only boat to ever win the transpac back to back in its class." Do you know anything about this claim? Anyone?

Thanks,
Gabriel
Old 05-08-2010, 00:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielb View Post
Rebel Heart,

Thanks for your reply. The seller tells me the boat has been in the transpac 4 times. Also, posted in the add : "The Lancer 36 is a performance cruising version of the famous offshore racer "Chutzpa" designed by Bill Lee and the only boat to ever win the transpac back to back in its class." Do you know anything about this claim? Anyone?

Thanks,
Gabriel
I don't know about the validity of the claim, but its repeated on this site that has quite a bit of info on the boats:

s/v September Sea Website: THE BOAT

At 10,000# it should be fast, and the asking price sure would make it worth a look for me.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:00   #6

An old Sailnet thread that has been currently updated with some good info. Might answer some of your questions re quality issues and the Transpac claim.

Lancer 36 Sloop - SailNet Community
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23   #7

Today I took the boat from channel islands harbor to ventura harbor. I am a concerned that it may be underpowered. As it turns out it has a 2 cylinder yanmar. Seamed slower than it should be. It felt to me like it may not beat against the weather very well under power alone. Is this a serious concern? After being a sailor for years the past year I have been a power boater with a fairly quick inflatable. Possibly I'm just used to going faster.? Does not have a knot meter nor GPS.
Thanks
Old 24-03-2011, 12:07   #8

Re: 1979 Lancer 36

I don't like the weight at 10,500 for a 36. The keel is fin and the rudder is not supported so the bearing will wear fast. Just seems way under built.
LANCER 36 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
lonabishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 09:39   #9

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

Dude, it is a BILL LEE (fast is fun)design! The Santa Cruz 50' (which I owned) was 16,000 lbs and I would take that boat anywhere. Some people like to go fast and some like to go at a snails pace (Wetsnail 32 comes to mind).
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicyachty View Post
Dude, it is a BILL LEE (fast is fun)design! The Santa Cruz 50' (which I owned) was 16,000 lbs and I would take that boat anywhere. Some people like to go fast and some like to go at a snails pace (Wetsnail 32 comes to mind).
Hal Roth raced a Santa Cruz 50 around the world in the BOC (twice) . That should tell you how tough they are. Nothing wrong with his designs in my book.
Old 26-03-2011, 16:35   #11

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

Nothing wrong with a Wauquiez either....they make sweet boats!
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 18:14   #12

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I was looking at one of these a couple of years back and discovered, if I remember correctly, that William F. Buckley's last boat, "Patito", was a Lancer 36. Googling "William F. Buckley Patito" pulls up some interesting stories.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lancer