Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2007, 18:40   #1

Boat: 41' Formosa Ketch
1979 Cheoy Lee Perry Ketch (fiberglass blistering questions)

Hello!
my name is Dan G - this is my first post to the monohull section of this forum (i'm the guy from the "is this a Piver" thread in the multihull forum)

at any rate - we've started looking at monohulls. I recently stumbled across a 1979 Cheoy Lee Perry Ketch, which you can see here:
The Sailing Life (Portland, OR)

we recently made the drive to Portland to check this boat out, and for the most part she's gorgeous. at first, i was a little curious why the price was so reasonable, and why she's been on the market for so long.

Here's the scoop:

the broker gave us copies of two different surveys taken on this boat, since it's been on the market. The first was from 2005, the 2nd was from march of this year.

in the first survey, the masts were found to be rotten, and as such the owner purchased and installed new, aluminum masts and rigging. neat!

also mentioned in the first survey was the following:
"during haul out, the vessel was observed to be covered with blisters less than 0.5 inches in diameter. examination of some blisters found delamination occurring below a barrier coating but not penetrating into the hull of the vessel. it is not possible to determine if any of the blisters penetrate the hull until the failed/blistered barrier coating is removed. percussion testing of the hull revealed no structural delaminations."

flash forward to the 2nd survey,

on the front page, it mentions "some blisters less than 1 inch in diameter"

however, further into the survey (page 7 ) it says "numerous osmotic blisters are found on the bottom of the hull. some approach or exceed 1 inch in diameter"

so...

it's hard to tell exactly what's going on down there. they appear to be growing in size, at any rate. aside from the blistering problem, i'm very excited about this boat - it's the right size, rig, and in decent enough shape that i would very much consider buying it.

however - i'm worried about the blisters. how worried should i be? how long can this wait before it's a necessary fix? how much of a project is this to fix (in terms of time, cost, etc)?

in short - is this a deal breaker? or something i can fix/live with for a while?

sorry this was so long winded. advice is greatly appreciated!
-d
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 19:02   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha d,
Each blister needs to be popped, ground out and glassed over with epoxy, mat, cloth, etc. depending how deep. If this is something you think you can do at a haulout then it should not be a deal breaker. I'd get an estimate at a reputable yard and then dicker with the owner about a lower price.
I don't believe anyone has lost their boat due to osmotic blistering but I know that some have opted not to sail their boat without having it repaired.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 19:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You may get differing opinions on this but here is mine. This is the cheapest Cheoy Lee on boats.com over 40ft. There are 12 boats listed between 40 and 46 feet with years from 1978 to 1982.

Before getting serious I would definitely consider looking ot some of the other boats.

The owner is highly motivated and based on the survey doesn't not know the extent of the problem. One survey says non-structural. One survey indicates the blisters are getting bigger.

If I owned the boat I would probably have it checked at each haul out and would consider fixing it next time bottom fouling was needed. The repair for this may require extended time out of the water for drying after the distressed areas are uncovered.

If I was buying the boat I would have to explicitly understand what I was buying and understand that unless it was fixed I was going to take a bath if I tried to sell.

There are 3 boats in the 41 foot range within 10 grand of this price.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 22:44   #4

It's a pretty boat, for sure, and well equipped. But the blisters problem means it's definitely not selling for $80k. I would assume that the new owner is going to have to address this problem, and I frankly wonder why the current owner has not done the repair (blister problems that are not structural are not difficult to repair). Why did the barrier coat "fail"? Is that an indicator that the problem goes deep into the laminate? If so, I would stay away.

Another thing I would be concerned about is the tanks. This is a 30 year old boat and unless the tanks have been replaced, or are bulletproof in terms of how they are constructed, they will have to be replaced at some point and depending on where they are located this can be very expensive.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 22:57   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If it's just some blisters, it's not to serious. If it's under a barrier coat then they were probably there before the coating and it'll be under the glass not just the coating.

Repairs are a long drawn out process. It's not just a weekender. It would be best to put the boat on the hard for a while where you can do the work and take your time. If you hire someone you will not know the quality of the work.

Once you start stripping you'll most likely find more then the surveyor. The mid to late 70's were bad years for hulls. I got lucky with mine.

Blisters take time to really dry out and just popping them is NOT the way to go. Check out this thread from a while back........................._/)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ters-9419.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 02:09   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I would be more concerned with the age of the rigging and sails. There is where some real money comes to play.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 17:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
I would be more concerned with the age of the rigging and sails. There is where some real money comes to play.
Keep your eye on the prize. I also noticed, if I am reading the ad right, that the battery banks are 9 years old (98). ka-ching$

The blisters are one element of a complete survey...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 23:04   #8

Boat: 41' Formosa Ketch
excellent advice!

some points that were brought up that you guys helped me catch:
- the masts/rigging is new (cost the owners around $40k, according to the broker)
- the sails are all listed as "servicable" on both surveys. i'm guessing this means they need replaced sooner than later
- the battery banks are indeed getting old...

we've been reading the surveys more carefully (it was incredibly nice of them to give us these copies, as on the surface this boat looks gorgeous)

another thing that has me worried is a comment from the 2007 survey:
"oil pressure guage is pegged, smoke coming from engine room, engine will not start"

this is wierd to me, as the broker insisted that the engine started and ran fine - but she didn't want to start it without the owner there. is that wierd, or standard practice? i felt a little wierded out at the time...

all in all - seems there's a lot more work that needs to be done to this boat than i might be immediately willing to do (we're attempting to live-aboard by the end of summer). more looking for a completed boat with a few small things wrong with it (every boat has a few things wrong with it, right?) than a major project undertaking.

we'll keep looking for now. i'll let you know what else we come up with.

thanks!!
-d
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 02:01   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Major project...

As I am now comming up to 1400 hours on my major project I can only endorse your decision.

You really need to have 2000+ hours up your sleeve and a good place to work (preferrably on the hard) to take on a boat that needs work.

And the price has to be very right.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 21:03   #10

Keep looking... It sounds like this boat is quite overpriced. Given what is happening in the markets right now - I think that you're going to find some incredible deals in late fall and early spring.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 08:17   #11

dang, here's a link to a thread in another forum about your query.
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...topic=49080&hl
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, fiberglass