Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 20:07   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
1975 Morgan -to buy or not to buy???? HELP

Ok, folks
It seems that someone else is very interested in the boat that I posted about earlier (swing keel). We would be blessed to have your opinion regarding the purchase.

Would you buy this boat unseen?? Please respond as quickly as possible. We might be jumping a plane this weekend..if there is still time. Jen

eBay Motors: 1975 Morgan Out-Island 51 Cutter/Ketch Rigged Yacht (item 170218671684 end time May-22-08 05:05:44 PDT)
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 20:16   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Personally, I wouldn't spend $46K on anything unseen.

Also, I wouldn't let myself get pressured into anything. That's how mistakes are made. Remember, it's a buyers market and there's always another boat.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 21:07   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
Unseen

No. Boats are like w_ _ _ n. There is no shortage and yes you can fall in love more than once.

Slap yourself around a little or have someone do it for you.

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 21:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybug View Post
Ok, folks
It seems that someone else is very interested in the boat that I posted about earlier (swing keel). We would be blessed to have your opinion regarding the purchase.

Would you buy this boat unseen?? Please respond as quickly as possible. We might be jumping a plane this weekend..if there is still time. Jen
Wow. You have it bad. You are frantically asking on the internet if you should buy a boat unseen? Jumping on a plane?? Blessed to have our opinion?

Yes, I agree: You are confused. I would also add you are consumed with passion. A rather unsteady combination, no? Take a cold shower.

No, do not buy the boat unseen. In fact, dont even buy the boat after you have seen it. Your thinking is clouded right now.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 01:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Look at the picture of the engine...

Look at the picture of the engine.

It will give you an idea of what the boat is like when the rose coloured glasses come off.

Do you have any idea of how long it takes to restore a 33 year old 51' sailboat , or how much it costs?

Why do you want this boat anyway?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 01:38   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Though I fully understand the passion element (which is intensified by boats I think) and while maybe this boat is worth a look . . will you have a proper survey by the time bidding ends? Is the boat the right size for your needs? Big boat = big berthing, upkeep, insurance, etc etc . . . Why not try for a survey and if you are really convinced, bid up until the reserve is met? But remember the old saying, "Buy in haste, repent at leisure". If this boat was not a "fire-sale" it would probably be with a broker. . . .
Old 16-05-2008, 03:16   #7

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
No!

No, no! Run away from it and never look back! Just look at the electrical installations and the state that the interior is in! I have looked at enough used cars and boats to know that if you can see flaws on the pictures, it's 10 times worse in real life. I'm currently doing a "sailing restoration" of my 22 year old 31 feet double ender. It's a lot of work and expensive. Just imagine what it would be like on a 30 year old 51 feet boat!

The engine looks like it could be used as a decent anchor though

/Hampus, Sweden
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 03:45   #8

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Its a buyers market. I too say "No" to an unseen purchase...I have a friend who did on a boat he was passionate about. He offered 20% though, and they took it! And it turned out to be a real beauty.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:20   #9
jzk

This boat may very well be a fine opportunity. Yeah, it looks a bit of a mess, but a 50 foot boat for under 50k?

However, this is not the right way to buy a boat. Go down there and look at it first hand before the auction ends.

Then comes the question of a survey. I would not buy a 50k boat without one.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:34   #10

And, just because the auction ends doesn't mean someone will buy it. If they don't have a winning bid then you're in a better position to dicker with them if you really decide it's the boat for you.

I was looking at that boat just a few ours ago and was thinking similar thoughts -- then I looked more closely at some of the pictures and realized my wife would leave me if that was our first boat.

I watched Captain Ron again the other night and realized again how we men look right *through* what is and see the what could be. Women look at the same thing and go, "Ewww!"

Jay Jennings
Jay Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:52   #11
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Tell ya what, give me the 46k and after 6 months I will give you 26k back that way you will only loose 30k
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:56   #12

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Did you see this??? It sounds as if you don't do it 'their way' and mitigate the bidding process for a straight sale transaction, then they will strip the electronics and sell them separately.... what will they leave behind if you win by bid.

There are over $15000.00 worth of new electronics, that comes with original receipts and waranty cards.
The full package of electronics is available with Buy It Now Option Only!
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 05:08   #13
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jennings View Post
I was looking at that boat just a few ours ago and was thinking similar thoughts -- then I looked more closely at some of the pictures and realized my wife would leave me if that was our first boat.

I watched Captain Ron again the other night and realized again how we men look right *through* what is and see the what could be. Women look at the same thing and go, "Ewww!"

Jay Jennings
Don't be too hard on the tubby Morgan. It has its place, and I suspect if you clean it up, a woman might be drawn to the interior volume and especially the bathtub! I am told this is a strong boat that was designed for charter such that it was hard to hurt even if run aground, etc. I knew a few people that retired on them and they loved them. A few of them didn't come from a sailing background, so the "looks" of the vessel wasn't really a problem for them!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 05:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Don't be too hard on the tubby Morgan. It has its place, and I suspect if you clean it up, a woman might be drawn to the interior volume and especially the bathtub!
Yes, for sure! But my wife is "iffy" on the whole proposition, so I'm going to try and err on the side of caution.

And still not spend a million. =:)

Jay Jennings
Jay Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 05:57   #15

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
Well the decision has been made: Too much of a risk purchasing a boat unseen. My husband & I sat down last night and discussed it at length. Together we decided that we didnt like the feeling of being rushed OR buying a boat unseen. What we needed was some one on one face time to discuss it.

Yes, I agree: You are confused. I would also add you are consumed with passion. A rather unsteady combination, no? Take a cold shower.

No, do not buy the boat unseen. In fact, dont even buy the boat after you have seen it. Your thinking is clouded right now.

Michael, I wouldnt say that our judgement is clouded, after all we didnt buy it.
We just like having input. We've been looking for over a year now....it's an exciting venture, but sometimes we both wish that we would find "the one".

I thoroughly appreciate everyone's opinion. I will be a lot more lax in the future when it comes to posting..I promise.

Thanks again!!
Jen

Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan