Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 16:59   #1

Boat: 1975 Catalina 22
1975 Catalina 22 Swing Keel Maintenance

We bought the boat a couple of months ago and I am wondering when the swing keel last received any maintenance. Since I don't know, it seems like a good place for me to start with the overall maintenance of the boat.

Where can I get some help (written material or maintenance guide) to help me with this project?

Does anyone have any - really, you don't want to do what I did stories?

Thanks,
Ron Osceola
ronosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:08   #2

I am doing the same thing. Catalina Direct has a dvd on the process. I assume that you are refinishing the keel and not just replacing the cable etc.
fhp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 19:14   #3

Re: 1975 Catalina 22 Swing Keel Maintenance

I had a 22 Catalina many, many years ago, one time while launching, the keel fell off! Luckily I was still at the dock, and the cable used to raise and lower the Keel held. I was able to recover the keel. The large pin holding the keel to the hull corroded and snapped in two, there was also a lot of corrosion where the pin inserts into the keel, I took the keel (and a new pin for hole sizing) to a metal shop, they rebuilt the keel attachment point. I would definately check out the pin sometime!
peeceebee57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 05:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ron and fhp3, and peeceebee57.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 05:27   #5

Boat: Catalina 22

I have a 1977 Catalina 22 which I purchased recently. What I experience is that the boat leaks water around the keel trunk unless the keel is kept partly lowered. I have not been able to spot the exact source because the leak is very slow. Another issue is that I cannot locate the pin on which the keel swings. It appears that it is encased in fiberglass. Also, There does not appear to be any way to lock the keel in the down position which could be dangerous in a knockdown. Comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Peter Hollings
phollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:10   #6

Boat: Yamaha 33

We just bought a '75 Catalina 22 ourselves. One of the attractions was that a number of the mods were already done.

As mentioned in post # 2, Catalina Direct is a good source of information and wallet-draining goodies for this boat. There are technical briefs on most maintenance, plus DVDs for lots of projects.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:34   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by phollings View Post
I have a 1977 Catalina 22 which I purchased recently. What I experience is that the boat leaks water around the keel trunk unless the keel is kept partly lowered. I have not been able to spot the exact source because the leak is very slow. Another issue is that I cannot locate the pin on which the keel swings. It appears that it is encased in fiberglass. Also, There does not appear to be any way to lock the keel in the down position which could be dangerous in a knockdown. Comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Peter Hollings

Peter
your bolt or pin is under the boat at the leading edge of the keel.. the pin is held to the boat with a clamp on each side..
Inside at the forward edge of the trunk and might be inside the seat area is a bolt with a "T" handle.. once you lower the keel, tighten up on the "T" handle to secure the keel..
you can easily check the wear on the keel pin.. when on the trailer, lower the keel and then grab the rear of the keel and try to move it from side to side.. if it wobbles, it needs work... Catalina direct will tell you how to do it..

I've owned 3 catalina 22s in the past.. The last one was a 22MKll with the wider beam.. Had it built for racing and a capri keel installed..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, keel, maintenance