Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 19:50   #1

Boat: 1975 Cobalt 18
1975 Catalina 22

For those of you with a little knowledge tell me what you think about this one. I have emailed the marina that has the boat for sail for a few more details. It will be a first boat and I will be taking my family along for day sails and such (if the boat pans out). It looks to have been neglected for the past 2+ years as evident by the registration. Any comments on what to look for would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Zeus.

BoatTraderOnline Additional Photos
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 19:52   #2

It obviously needs a bit of elbow grease to at least look presentable.
Old 22-01-2007, 07:53   #3
cruiser

Zeus, I don't see anything immediatly wrong with this boat. In fact, it reminds me a great deal of my first boat, a 21' Kells, made in Fall River, MA. I like the sight of the compression post below, which will take the mast's pressure. My Kells didn't have one. I had to put my own in. Another good feature is this boat comes with the trailer. Now, I have one question: For $3k, where is the outboard? Are you planning to purchase one in addition to the boat?

Here are some things to check for:

1) Check that the trailer is not rotted out or in any way not going to be street legal. Check for title, etc... Check trailer wiring to see that brakes, blinkers, etc.. work

2) Jump up and down on the deck and try to test for any soft spots. Take a block of wood and give the hull some taps to check as well.

3) Check that the pintles and gudgeons are in good shape and securely fastened and that the tiller is not spit or cracked in any way.

4) Double check sails and all inventory

5) Fire extinguisher? Safety equipment?

That's a start. Once you go an investigate a little bit, you will probably have more specifics, I would assume.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 10:25   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zeus,
Sean makes some good points. My first boat was a Catalina 22 about the same vintage. Mine was a fin keel model not a swing keel. So, I would check the operation of the swing keel as much as you can on the trailer to see if the pivot point is nice and tight.
The first problem I had with mine after purchase was that the rudder was delaminating a bit so had to be repaired. Not a big deal but at the time I didn't know how to do it myself so had someone else do it. It didn't cost much but took him longer than I wanted.
Trailerable boats usually have pretty good rigging because it doesn't get worked while on its trailer but check each stay and shroud for "fishhooks" and rust spots anyway.
Catalina 22 swing keels are pretty good quality but mainly for lakes or bay sailing. Not off shore and good for coastal cruising only if the weather is light. I enjoyed mine for off leeward island coastal sailing and sailed it single handing much of the time. It was really easy to sail which gave me the opportunity to learn a lot because even if I only had a couple hours of sunlight after work I could jump aboard and cast off.
Good luck on your decision.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 11:06   #5

Boat: C&C 27
The price is a little high in my opinion. Here is what I see. The port bulkhead has caused a hard spot on the hull. This is common on some C22s that have been raced. The windows leak and will need to be rebedded. You might be able to look around down here on the coast and find a similar boat for a little less. The outboard will cost you some money (I bought a new 5HP Mercury for $800 at Academy) but check the length of the shaft. A dingy or johnboat outboard may not be long enough. Check out the trailer. If it has been used in salt water that should be another mark against it.

Welcome! You are looking at a good starter boat, if not this boat this model. Just try to get the price down. Oh, and by the way you may want to buy a bunch of stiuff after you get it. Go to the discount sporting goods store for most of it. The marine retailers can be very high.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 13:52   #6

Catalina 22

Zeus,

I have owned a C22 for about 4 years and we have sailed it alot.

The swing keel would be my first area of concern, how much wobble does the keel have, has the keel ever had any work done to it. Bushing, cable, turning ball, winch any of these been replace?

The windows can be fix. All it takes is time.

I had to replaced the bulkhead in mine, not a major job.

The second area of concern would be it the deck has any soft or spongy spots. A sure sign of water damage and big problems.

If I had it to do over again I would go with a C25 wing keel. That is what I have now. When you compare the room in the cabin between the two, it is truely amazing how much more room the C25 has.

My C22 is for sale, but it is located in Ga.

I hope this helps some. There is one really great site about the C22 online, Chip Ford is the administrator. You would have to do a search to fine it.

Greg
gop711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 14:38   #7
cruiser

Zeus. I missed the retractable keel portion of the ad. Sorry about that. I would also say that is the most important part to check out. Maybe if you need shoal draft, you can look at a boat with a shoal draft? The C25 wing (if it's as inexpensive) might make a good choice.

I know that old Kells I had had a fixed, shoal draft keel.
Old 22-01-2007, 17:53   #8

Thanks all for the reply. Unfortunately the marina has not contacted me. I found a MacGregor 25 down the street that I am going to take a look at. Per the ad most everything has been replaced/refinished. The asking price is 3300. I have an appointment Sat. to look at it. Let ya'll know.
Old 22-01-2007, 20:58   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zeus,
I have nothing against MacGregors but do realize they are lightly built. Please check it thoroughly especially on the foredeck where it should not have a spongy give when walking around up there.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 04:50   #10

Boat: Contest 27 - 'Mon Bateau'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Zeus,
I have nothing against MacGregors but do realize they are lightly built. Please check it thoroughly especially on the foredeck where it should not have a spongy give when walking around up there.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
I agree, a Cat would be a better boat IMO.

First thiing, I would look at is the swing keel. Reach under and grab the end and push it around. See how much wobble you get.

The best thing about Catalinas is that parts are a dime a dozen and are all over the place. Plus rigging and sails can be purchased premade to the 22 from West Marine.

I have looked at Grand Pappy Point before and I dont think that they would mislead anyone. I actually went up there to look at a boat and they told me that it would be better if I looked at another they had on hand. It was only several hundred dollars more but it fit what I was looking for.
Old 23-01-2007, 05:52   #11
cruiser

I also agree with John. In this size range, the Catalina is going to be better built than the McGreggor.
Old 23-01-2007, 08:07   #12

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Catalina 22s are cool good looking boats. I second everyones suggestions and I too think it is a little over priced. Have you looked at a Cal 25?

Good luck!
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 14:18   #13

Boat: Contest 27 - 'Mon Bateau'
I suggest you check out Dallas Craigslist. A gentelman in Dallas has a US25 for sale for only $1050. I dont know what condition the interior is but the exterior looks kind of clean.

There is also a Ericson 27 for sale for $3000 but he claims he dropped the rudder when he pulled the tiller. He says the rudder is sitting on the bottom of his slip. This boat is at GrandPappy right now.
Old 24-01-2007, 02:28   #14

Good info guys, thanks
Old 24-01-2007, 02:32   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Please do keep us updated on how things work out / progress.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina