Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2007, 05:21   #16

Boat: C&C 27
Zeus,
Are you going to pull this thing around from lake to lake or leave it on a lake full time?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 16:50   #17

Boat: 1975 Cobalt 18
I have an uncle that lives 2 miles from the ramp so I will keep the boat at his house and launch it each weekend.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 18:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I have owned a similar size trailerboat for 20 years. I don't know what your home waters are but if daysailing is what your plan is and the boat lives on the trailer get a smaller boat. You may soon tire of launching, rigging, unrigging, and loading back on the trailer just for a day, even though with a little experience you may knock this down to a half hour each way. We seldom use our Sirius 22 for anything less than a full weekend. We also take at least one 2-3 week trip each summer. We use the 16 footer for daysailing and will take it out for just a few hours after work on Lake Calhoun here in Minneapolis. Now if you are looking at further horizons like the Padres Islands or Galveston Bay then something like the Catalina 22 would be a good choice. Our Siruis 22 is very similar in design to the Catalina and we have sailed all over Lake Superior and Lake Huron for 20 years and have experienced 4-6 foot waves many times and a few times waves 6-10 feet. These boats are more seaworthy than some of the big boat guys realize. IMO 25 feet is getting too big for a weekend trailersailer that lives on it's trailer. The desire is many times to get the bigger boat but the smaller the boat the more you will use it. A couple of other boats to check out would be West Wight Potter 15 and 17 and Montgomery 15 and 17. Both have small cabins and are more capable than the size would suggest. There are always alot of Catalina 22's available so you cant' go wrong there. Another of my trailersailer favorites is a San Juan 23 though this is a big 23 footer and tipping the scales at about 3400 lbs is at the upper limit of my size range.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 19:57   #19

I have thought and looked at a few smaller boats. The only thing is that I have three small children. I am not sure anything smaller than, let's say the Catalina 22, would work. As far as use, we the planned use is to lauch on Thurs/Fri and stay out on the islands until Sat evening. It is all up in the air right now but keep the opinions comming they are definately helpful
zeus
Old 25-01-2007, 01:45   #20

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Here is a MacGregor Forum if you want more info on MacGregor's

http://macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/

I have a 26M and have seen the 25's. For a couple and small children they are nice. Although the boats are light and more flexable than most. It will handle anything that you would want to put your wife and kids through.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 05:06   #21

Boat: C&C 27
Zeus,
Steve has hit on the point. If your boat is being moved around then a boat that trailers well and rigs fast is very important. It sounds like in your situation the trailer weight may not be as big an issue as the rigginig. Check the cataline 22 and catalina 25 groups. They are big classes and have come up with creative ways to rig a boat fast.

The San Juan 23 is a nice little boat. A friend had one on Joe Poole that he was selling for $2500 a couple of years ago. I nearly bought it, kind of like having an MGB in the garage.

Good luck...
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 06:27   #22

Boat: Contest 27 - 'Mon Bateau'
look what I found for ya.

Catalina 22
Old 25-01-2007, 12:12   #23

WOW! Thanks Raz. What lake do you sail on?
Old 25-01-2007, 14:19   #24

Boat: Contest 27 - 'Mon Bateau'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus
WOW! Thanks Raz. What lake do you sail on?

Not a problem. I sent an email to the guy but I havent heard anything on the boat. It seems to be a cleaner boat and NEWER than what you were looking at Lake Texhoma.

I use to live down in League City/NASA/Kemah/Seabrook (pick a city, theyre all about the same) before I was forced to move to Plano.

While I lived down there, I owned a Newport 16 that I purchased from the Boy Scouts none the less. I sailed it at Lake Conroe. Later I sold it and purchased a Conyplex Contest 27 which was based at Seabrook Shipyards. There, I sailed the bay and out into the gulf.

After I moved to Dallas area, I couldnt go to H-Town as much as I would have like and so instead of having the boat turn green from moldy neglect, I sold it. Right now, I am looking at purchasing another vessel which I plan on keeping up in Lake Texhoma.
Old 25-01-2007, 16:54   #25

Boat: Hunter, 335- Destiny II
OK, Meeee Tooooo...

I've owned two C22's a 1975 and a 1982. The 1975 I bought seemed to be close to the condition of the one you posted for $3,000.00. I paid $2,300.00 for my '75. I later found an excellent condition 1982 C22 that didn't leak, had a good sail inventory and a new 5 Hp Honda four stroke for $3,500.00. We sailed the 1982 C22 a good bit. In a 30 mph squal she did an honest 8.25 knots. (And I was Scared to Death. Hull speed on the C22 is about 6.25.) My opinion on the first boat, skip it and keep looking. I think the C25 will be a better fit also. Unless the Mac is cheap, I'd still say keep looking. Friends don't let Friends Drive Drunk (or sail Mac's). I'm sorry, I know there's a owner here. There's tons of used stuff available for C22 & 25's since there was thousands made.

Good luck!

Mike
MCathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 20:49   #26

I would rather sail with someone who can voice their disagrements with me, however strong, than with somebody who will not. The same with a forum.

One thing about sailors. They are willing do voice their opinons and live by their choices. One has to be willing to live with the differances, be it boats, anchors, rodes, places, repairs or not. The list is endless. If one is going to sail.
Old 27-01-2007, 18:16   #27

Took pics of two boat I looked at today. Check them out and then give me some feedback if you have any. Picasa Web Albums - Scott
Old 27-01-2007, 23:33   #28

Well, I have a MacGregor.

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures. Both boats look clean.
How tall are you and how tall is your kids. Bigger people need bigger boats. However, most of the time bill be spent on deck.

Do you have enough experience to check the boats out? Trailers? Motors?
Run a hose on deck and have someone inside and check for leaks. Inspect. West Marine has a used boat checklist, survey, winterization. All cover about everything. Check the swing keel bolts. I would replace anyway.

An interesting thing about trailer sailors, they do not get used much and stay on the trailer. If these have been Freshwater boats only, you should not have much problems with them unless they have been damaged by the owners.

All else being equal in the boats, The Mac will draw less water at the ramp and will have more room. As I said, I have a Mac. Both are good coastal cruisers.
Old 28-01-2007, 18:22   #29

Boat: Laguna 26
In defence of Macs

Our first boat was a Macgregor 25. Yep they are lightly built but seem to never have problems because of it. They are very plain and about as simple as you could possibalbly make a 25' boat. Because of this they are easy to fix and cheap to own. The swing keel hangs from a 5/8 ss bolt and is raised and lowered by a $40 winch. Sails are cheap. The 25 weighs less than 2500 lbs but has twice the useable room of a Catalina 22. Launch it in a mud puddle tow it with a S10. For a trailer boat the Mac is hard to beat.

BTW we sailed ours in 12' swells in the gulf and all over Lake Texoma in winds up to 30 kts. We never had a failure.

Since then I have worked on Valiants, Island packets, and most of the lesser boats. I have seen how a very high quality boat is made but I still have a soft spot for my cheap old Mac (Which my son still sails).

Like any boat with a cored deck be sure to check for soft spots around any hardware.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 21:53   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I will put in a plug for the Sirius 21/22 built in Canada by Vandestadt and McGruer. One of the more solidly built hulls in it's size range with the added benefit of foam flotation built in. The deck is foam cored and foam is also in between the hull and the interior hull liner. This boat has a rock solid hull and deck. Some of the area under the V berth and under the cockpit is also filled with foam and while this takes up some storage area it has never proven to be an issue and we take many 2-3 week trips and have the room we need. It also has a poptop for use when at anchor so you can stand up. The two versions are indentical inside the only differance being the cabin windows and the reverse transom on the 22 making it a foot longer. Commonly found in Canada and the Great Lake states with about 600 of the 21's and 100 of the 22's made. Comes in at about 2000 pounds. Last built in 1987. They seem to have a high asking price for a 20-25 year old trailer boat usually $5000-7000. I bought mine new in 1985.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina