Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 17:04   #1
Registered User
 
Dollydagger's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pacifica ,ca
Boat: challenger 32 '
Posts: 18
1974 Challenger 32 Designer

im trying to find out who designed this boat. thanks .
__________________

__________________
Dollydagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 17:20   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
TaoJones's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 9,850
Christian Van H could most likely answer that question for you, Dollydagger. If he doesn't see this thread, you might try sending him a PM.

TaoJones
__________________

__________________
"Your vision becomes clear only when you look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks within, awakens."
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961)
TaoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 11:30   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
I believe the designer to be Robert Perry. His Challenger 40 looks very similar and he worked for Challenger. wwwsailboatdata.com
__________________
karlhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 12:24   #4
Registered User
 
Maddog's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhead View Post
I believe the designer to be Robert Perry. His Challenger 40 looks very similar and he worked for Challenger. wwwsailboatdata.com
I emailed Bob Perry about this and He is not the designer. I'll see what I can post when I get home.
__________________
It's kind of like tearing up $100 bills while standing in a cold shower.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 19:04   #5
Registered User
 
Maddog's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 318
Check out this web site. All of the old brochures.

Challenger Yacht Corp
__________________
It's kind of like tearing up $100 bills while standing in a cold shower.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 19:47   #6
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
Hi Dolly! The designer was N.A. Hector Ballester. I have an ad from Challenger that mentions his name. Email me your address if you want a copy. Thanks, Chris
__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 13:43   #7
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhead View Post
I believe the designer to be Robert Perry. His Challenger 40 looks very similar and he worked for Challenger. wwwsailboatdata.com
Dear Mr. Van Horn:

I have never had any connection with Challenger Yachts.



Bob Perry



-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Van Horn [mailto:nomasfilms@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:58 PM
To: RHP@perryboat.com
Subject: http://www.perryboat.com/+Enquiry+from+your+Web+site



Hello Mr. Perry! Someone on the Cruisers forum suggested that you had some involvement with Challenger Yacht Corp. If this is true I would love to hear of your experience working with them. Your impressions of the operation, owner, etc... Thank you for your time, Christian Van Horn (Owner of Challenger Yachts Anacapa 42, hull #1)
__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 15:07   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Dear Mr. Van Horn:

I have never had any connection with Challenger Yachts.



Bob Perry



-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Van Horn [mailto:nomasfilms@comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:58 PM
To: RHP@perryboat.com
Subject: http://www.perryboat.com/+Enquiry+from+your+Web+site



Hello Mr. Perry! Someone on the Cruisers forum suggested that you had some involvement with Challenger Yacht Corp. If this is true I would love to hear of your experience working with them. Your impressions of the operation, owner, etc... Thank you for your time, Christian Van Horn (Owner of Challenger Yachts Anacapa 42, hull #1)
Sailboatdata.com must be mistaken. I looked up Challenger 32 and there was no designer listed for the boat. I then went to the other boats that Challenger Yacht Corp. listed and the Challenger 40 was listed with Robert Perry as the designer. Both the 32 and 40 look very similar. Sailboatdata must have gotten it wrong and Hector Ballester designed them both. There is nothing in google about a Hector Ballester that I could find. There is a Challenger 32 in YW with him as the listed designer.
__________________
karlhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 16:47   #9
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
I couldn't find Hector Ballester anywhere either...THE MYSTERY CONTINUES...
__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 07:24   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
I wonder if Mr. Perry knows that he is associated with Challenger Yacht Corp.? The Challenger 40 attributed to him is a departure from most of his designs.
__________________
karlhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT USA
Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Posts: 102
Challenger 32, 40, error

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhead View Post
Sailboatdata.com must be mistaken. I looked up Challenger 32 and there was no designer listed for the boat. I then went to the other boats that Challenger Yacht Corp. listed and the Challenger 40 was listed with Robert Perry as the designer. Both the 32 and 40 look very similar. Sailboatdata must have gotten it wrong and Hector Ballester designed them both. There is nothing in google about a Hector Ballester that I could find. There is a Challenger 32 in YW with him as the listed designer.
I'm sailboatdata.com and I happened to see this thread. It does seem like it is an error. I wish I could remember where that information came from. I know that many of Mr. Perrys designs were stolen or hulls designed by him have been 'splashed'. But he would certianly know if the design was his. It appears that the boat shown in the photo and drawing (listed as the Challenger 40) is actually the 38. Of cource, after looking at the brochures at the link above, (which I have never seen before) the dimension and everything are way off. It also seems obvious that the Challenger 42 Anacapa could never have built by the same company. (another error). Don't know anything about Hector Ballester either. Possibly an in-house designer. I notice he's only listed as the designer for the 32.
Thanks to all for alerting me to this error which I am now in the process of correcting.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
Sailboatdata.com
__________________
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 13:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,586
Images: 240
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Randy.
Thanks for the very useful and informative SailboatData.com website. Itís a treasure!
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:51   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT USA
Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Posts: 102
Thanks for the compliment. Glad you've found it useful.
rb
__________________
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 19:20   #14
Registered User
 
Christian Van H's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, NJ
Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Posts: 2,097
Images: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Post View Post
It also seems obvious that the Challenger 42 Anacapa could never have built by the same company. (another error).
The Anacapa 42 was designed by Ted Carpentier, and built first by the Anacapa Boat Works (San Pedro Boat Works), followed by the Challenger Yacht Corp. headed by Howard Stern. See my website here: Anacapa Pilothouse Motorsailers - Home

As Robert Perry's email said, he never designed anything for Challenger Yachts.
__________________
www.anacapas.com

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT USA
Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
The Anacapa 42 was designed by Ted Carpentier, and built first by the Anacapa Boat Works (San Pedro Boat Works), followed by the Challenger Yacht Corp. headed by Howard Stern. See my website here: Anacapa Pilothouse Motorsailers - Home

As Robert Perry's email said, he never designed anything for Challenger Yachts.
Wow! Great stuff.
So the Anacapa WAS built by the same Challenger (eventually). I may have had it, at least, partly right after all! I'd like to add your site to my database (of owners groups and such) if you don't mind. How does the Aculpulo 40 fit in to the picture? ACAPULCO 40 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English) I'll warn you. I have a bit of an obsession for this stuff. My wife has suggested therapy.

rb
__________________

__________________
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
designer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's The Designer? Bequia Chief Monohull Sailboats 16 23-01-2016 18:28
Catalina 27 (1974) inishowen Monohull Sailboats 29 25-07-2014 12:38
Yacht Designer Ted Carpentier, NA... Christian Van H Monohull Sailboats 3 17-10-2011 05:20
1974 Pearson 28 sloop for sale..$5K CSY Man Classifieds Archive 6 09-01-2009 20:04
NZ Designer Assistance DHHong Kong Construction, Maintenance & Refit 24 17-06-2007 01:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.