Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2012, 16:41   #1

Boat: Boatless
1968 Islander 34

Anyone have info on some one sailing an Islander 34 around the world? Not to break any records mind you. More like a leasurely stroll. First major destination will be New Zealand leaving from Maine USA. With stops in between of course. I suppose the question is this boat suitable. Seems to be in good shape structurally. Rigging needs some help. Sails will be replaced. Engine….an A4 in good running condition with a nice three blade prop. ( I hate gas engines but it's the one I've got at present.) New thu hulls and proper graco seacocks, etc. Wind vane steering new! Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Old 18-07-2012, 00:28   #2

Boat: Islander 34'
Re: 1968 Islander 34

Be the first! I'll be right behind you.

Old 19-07-2012, 05:11   #3

Boat: Prout 35

You lost me at 1968, but my friend had One in the 80's and it was a good boat we spent alot of time removing speaker wire used for electrical service and many other short cuts the other owners had done, If you know the boat great but if you don't have someone that KNOWS what they are looking at go thru it. The true is almost every boat I look at after 1970 gets a failing grade from me, due to the amount of work it needs to be safe and seaworthy.
Old 20-07-2012, 19:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
You lost me at 1968, but my friend had One in the 80's and it was a good boat we spent alot of time removing speaker wire used for electrical service and many other short cuts the other owners had done, If you know the boat great but if you don't have someone that KNOWS what they are looking at go thru it. The true is almost every boat I look at after 1970 gets a failing grade from me, due to the amount of work it needs to be safe and seaworthy.
You may be right. No speaker wire on this one but the chain plate set up is suspect.
Old 20-07-2012, 19:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I've heard of one over down under somewhere, so probably not the first to cross the pacific.... Yours came from Cali, so if it did not travel east by truck, its already been a fair distance...
Old 20-07-2012, 20:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I've heard of one over down under somewhere, so probably not the first to cross the pacific.... Yours came from Cali, so if it did not travel east by truck, its already been a fair distance...
I think it probably went through the canal. The more I do to it, the more it seems worthy. I have retabbed a lot of bulk heads, etc, and now realized that's how they strengthened the boat. Seems a few longitudinal stringers would make her a tough old boat. And it's easy to do. So they journey continues. I have a Carter 33' but I'm thinking the Islander is the comfortable ride with it's noce full keel.
Old 20-07-2012, 20:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
And futhermore….and so forth etc….blah, blah…I did read an article about a couple buying one in NZ. So it must be worthy. People get tired not boats…..damn, I ought to remember that!
Old 20-07-2012, 21:47   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Looking at the 'structural' weight of the boat (displacement - ballast), adjusting for length and beam, the boat looks plenty fine assuming decent workmanship during original construction.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: