Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 14:53   #31

Catalina 22 sailboat for sale in Virginia
What do you think of this Catalina 22? And what do you think of the drop keel? It kind of scares me because I have heard them sinking because of the drop keel malfunctioning.
Patrick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:34   #32

The nice thing about Cat 22s is that they "tend" to be realistically priced simply because there are so many of them - it's easy to comparison shop. In its various iterations, it is probably the most popular small sailboat ever made. If everything works, it's probably a good deal.

I don't think there is much danger of one sinking because of a malfunctioning drop keel. I do think the drop keel design is a little clunky and intrusive, but the boat either leaks or it doesn't. These are basically good little boats. Their performance is too often unfairly compared to pure racing boats of similar length. For one or two people it could be a fun little boat in the Gulf or the Keys. However, if as you previously suggested, you are talking about 4 people, well, I would go bigger. Unlike the Columbia 34, more people and more stuff will make a big difference.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 16:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Catalina 22 sailboat for sale in Virginia
What do you think of this Catalina 22? And what do you think of the drop keel? It kind of scares me because I have heard them sinking because of the drop keel malfunctioning.
It's missing the bow and stern pulpits, stanchions and and lifelines. First time I've ever seen a Cat 22 without them. Plenty of others available.... I'd pass on this one for that reason, unless the price is dropped accordingly.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 16:57   #34

slomotion- Thanks for the information. I have read stories on cables breaking and leading to sinking. I'm sure that's not the sole reason though, media tends to change it. And who knows out of how many boats it is, media like bad news better then good.
speedoo- thanks for noticing that, it didn't say anything of the sort but I'm going to pass on it.
Thanks for the replies
Old 08-07-2010, 17:24   #35
Eternal Member

The Catalina 22 is a terrific design, possibly the most popular one-design ever. There were some 18,000 of them built. I had one for 10 years. They sail very well, are easy to handle, take fairly rough seas well, and are extremely well supported by the users group and store in California. You can order any part for the boat, including teak trim.

At $1,500 with a 5HP outboard and trailer, I'd say this could be a very good value if it's in good condition. Mine was in excellent condition; I kept it well, added self-tailing winches, etc. to make it easy to single-hand. I sold it for well over $5,000 without a trailer, so this is a great price.

Don't worry about the swing keel. It's a nice feature and highly unlikely to sink your boat, even if the cable were to break.

The Catalina 22's came in several models. I believe all had "pop tops", i.e., you could raise the after part of the cabin to give you great ventilation at anchor and standing headroom.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 18:52   #36

I am glad to hear of your great experience with the Catalina 22. Have you checked the one on Yachtworld that I posted a link to? It looks in better condition in my opinion tbh. I am looking for a deal I can afford that isn't a wreck, since there are so many Catalina 22's, I'm bound to see/hear of a couple. Can I have a link to the users group/store you mentioned? Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 19:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

The Catalina 22's came in several models. I believe all had "pop tops", i.e., you could raise the after part of the cabin to give you great ventilation at anchor and standing headroom.

Bill
I'm pretty sure not all Cat 22's have a pop-top. I think it was an option and I think it was added as an option after the boat was introduced.

Patrick, you can find a good deal on one that is closer than Virginia by doing a google search with "catalina 22 craigslist" There are literally hundreds for sale probably within less than 1000 miles of your location.

Example: Catalina 22 Sailboat

Looks like it's been very well maintained, with a good trailer and a bimini. Pop top is not mentioned.

There are several up here in the northeast that are priced lower, but there's a cost to come and get one so far away.

And by all means check ebay.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:45   #38

Thanks for the info. I have been constantly checking and at the moment, cash is the only reason I don't already have a boat. As for the distance, we take roadtrips up to about Virginia and sometimes as far as Massachuesetts in a 2003 Yukon with towing package and hitch. And right now it's summer and prime time to take it so I'm not overly worried about it, but it is something to consider.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:50   #39
Eternal Member

CatalinaOwners.com - Home
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:05   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day again Patrick,

I think that you are headed in the right direction now, mate.

I can add some data to the Cat-22 queries;

Not all were pop-tops for damn sure. I bought hull #61 directly from Frank Butler in Nprth Hollywood (what a hell of a place to build yachts!) in 1970 (or maybe it was '71?). It was not a pop-top... pop tops were not available at that time. IMO, if you are thinking about even coastal cruising in one, the pop-top is not the best option, for they are often the source of leaks when water is getting on deck, and to some degree they compromise the structural integrity of the hull.

2. The keel cable breaking will not cause the boat to sink. Period. All it does is raise the swing keel to the horizontal position for trailering or shallow water use. Should it break, the keel will be left in its most stable position... hanging straight down.

Beyond doubt, there are better trailer sailors... better looking, better sailing, nicer below decks and so on. But the C-22 is competent, sails reasonably well, can handle the wind and chop of SF Bay surprisingly well, and is ubiquitously available at very reasonable prices. You can (and I did) learn a hell of a lot in one!

Again, good luck!

Jim
Old 08-07-2010, 20:10   #41

Patrick, here's one in the NY area that's pretty cheap, if you're willing to come this far north.

22' CATALINA SAIL BOAT WITH TRAILER

Point is, there are a lot of great bargains around. You just have to do your research and find one that's in good shape.
Old 08-07-2010, 20:33   #42

Btrayfors- Thanks for the link.
Jim Cate- Thanks for the info. And I wasn't sure that I liked pop-tops anyways, and on a boat that size for the use we will have is only to duck out of bad weather, sleep or make sandwiches where the headroom won't matter as much as the structural integrity and less chance of leaking.
Speedoo- Thanks for the ad. I am taking your advice. About that specific c22, the interior looks to need work, but I'm not positive from the pictures.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:56   #43
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
The Catalina 22 is the only choice, there are many. A buddy of mine just found a 26' American. It was bought from the family of the original owner. It was sailed for two years, then the owner got sick, eventually died and the boat has sat on it's trailer in a car port ever since. Tom, (my buddy) paid the full asking price of $1,500 for it. It's sails are nearly perfect, the standing rigging old, but unused, the running rigging shouldn't be trusted and he's replacing it, the interior has been cleaned of it's mold and is perfect, cushions and all. It just needs a gel coat buff and some minor cosmetics.

This is a rare example, but a classic story of what is available, particularly in this down market. If it hadn't happened to a friend of mine and I'd not seen the pictures, I wouldn't have believed it. There are amazing deals out there, you just have to look (a lot). I'm not sure where you are, but I know of several 25' boats for not much. How about a 1980 25' Pearson for $2,000. It's in the water and actively sail currently.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15   #44

I thought I mentioned where I was before. If not, sorry, I'm in Fort Myers, FL. I have been looking at Catalina's and think that 1500 dollars is the top I can go right now. The part that restrains me is docking/morring (or lack thereof). If I get a boat where I am forced to dock or moor, I don't have a steady income so I can't guarantee being able to pay it. Thanks for the info and what a nice find by your friend.
Old 09-07-2010, 13:23   #45

What about a Morgan 22? 1970. It is ready to sail, has a trailer and the interior is in good shape minus cushions. It has a leak or two in the cockpit where previous instruments were. Someone cut a hole in the watertank and it wets cushions in rough waters. Otherwise it has everything. Any Ideas? What about the design? It has a drop keel that is 26/30 in when up and 4 ft when down.

Tags
columbia