Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 03:52   #1

Boat: Spencer 35
1960s Spencer 35 MK1. Too Old? Worth it? Anyone one have info on them?

My girlfriend and I recently viewed an early 1960s Spencer 35, for around $15K. We can afford about $20K to fix it up. Owner had an in-the-water insurance survey a few months ago in October, 2016; everything seemed okay, gave it a "Good" condition. We're a little concerned with the age though, and not biting off more than we can chew/afford.

I didn't notice any corrosion or damage on the rigging, but we assumed we'd have to replace the rigging very soon as it's over 15 years old, and the chainplates are glassed in and probably haven't been inspected for probably even longer than that.

We're not so sure about the mast, though. It has a leak that the owner thinks originates higher up, runs down the mast, and through the hole for the wires that goes through the deck under the mast, so who knows the corrosion in there. There does look to be some corrosion I think (photos below). Does this look only cosmetic, or will we probably need a new mast?

Solid FG hull and deck. Didn’t see any stress cracks anywhere, just chipped paint. I couldn't find any rotten bulkheads. One little leak in the hull-deck join in the V-berth. All electrical and electronics work and look in good shape. Engine run, had a little bit of white smoke on start-up, but that was it; has 4000 hrs, is a bit rusty, the pulleys have corrosion and wear the v-belt too quickly.

It would be our first boat, so we're very cautious/nervous. (We're looking for an offshore-ish boat, in this price range, in an area with very, very few of them. So we viewed this one asap)

Anyone know anything about these boats, such as how the chainplates are embedded? Not much info on them online on how they're built

Anything in particular we should be checking that would make this a definite no-no?

Do you think it's worth getting a surveyor to look at it and going after?
Mafiakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 1960s Spencer 35 MK1. Too Old? Worth it? Anyone one have info on them?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mafiakitty.

I suspect it's way over priced.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:27   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mafiakitty.

I suspect it's way over priced.
I think you may be right. A guy in the pen next to me just bough his Spencer 45 of a similar vintage for less than AU$5K and I thought THAT BOAT was overpriced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no boat snob, but I know heartache when I see it.
Old 27-03-2017, 07:01   #4

See if you can find a copy of Hal Roths book "AFTER 50,000 MILES" I am pretty sure it was a Spencer 35 and they wrote about the good and the bad of it. That book was one of my main references when setting up my first cruising boat. Very conservative by todays standards, but nothing in the book that would lead you astray. I didnt see that you mentioned your location, but I agree that you can probably find a better deal than that boat, but boats from that era are often built very strongly, and IF WELL MAINTAINED are good low cost cruisers. Best of luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 07:37   #5

Boat: Heritage 35

Spencers were made in Vancouver I think. Have/had a very good reputation. The Roth's first boat was a Spencer If you can find the video. Two against Cape Horn you can see one in action.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 07:43   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafiakitty View Post
My girlfriend and I recently viewed an early 1960s Spencer 35, for around $15K. We can afford about $20K to fix it up. Owner had an in-the-water insurance survey a few months ago in October, 2016; everything seemed okay, gave it a "Good" condition. We're a little concerned with the age though, and not biting off more than we can chew/afford.

I didn't notice any corrosion or damage on the rigging, but we assumed we'd have to replace the rigging very soon as it's over 15 years old, and the chainplates are glassed in and probably haven't been inspected for probably even longer than that.

We're not so sure about the mast, though. It has a leak that the owner thinks originates higher up, runs down the mast, and through the hole for the wires that goes through the deck under the mast, so who knows the corrosion in there. There does look to be some corrosion I think (photos below). Does this look only cosmetic, or will we probably need a new mast?

Solid FG hull and deck. Didn’t see any stress cracks anywhere, just chipped paint. I couldn't find any rotten bulkheads. One little leak in the hull-deck join in the V-berth. All electrical and electronics work and look in good shape. Engine run, had a little bit of white smoke on start-up, but that was it; has 4000 hrs, is a bit rusty, the pulleys have corrosion and wear the v-belt too quickly.

It would be our first boat, so we're very cautious/nervous. (We're looking for an offshore-ish boat, in this price range, in an area with very, very few of them. So we viewed this one asap)

Anyone know anything about these boats, such as how the chainplates are embedded? Not much info on them online on how they're built

Anything in particular we should be checking that would make this a definite no-no?

Do you think it's worth getting a surveyor to look at it and going after?
Ok no mention on where you are so here is a shot in the dark.
Is this a spencer built in canada? SPENCER 35 MK I sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com Or is it one.of those scarry ones which were built in Australia
Just an fyi we just sold dads spencer.42
Old 27-03-2017, 07:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Read Marine Survey 101 and then go have another look before you hire a surveyor.
Old 27-03-2017, 08:13   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

That's a hell of a high price for a boat in that age and shape. Even a good boat, which I consider the Spencer 35 to be as a safe cruiser (if cramped by today's standards).

A great deal of how I would proceed would depend on how I was going to use it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:25   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar w/ Spencer's and don't have enof experience to give you an opinion on the mast, but am in the process of re-fitting a 1978 Bristol 35.5...list of items replaced/to replace: main sail, standing/running rigging (chain plates were like new), diesel fuel line-corroded, new alternator, interior cushions w/ new foam, added shore power, mounted new VHF, rebuild head & 2 faucets, new GPS, new transmission cable, new water pump. This was with a good survey. Had separate compression check done on diesel & oil analysis- all good.

Review the Oct, 2016 survey closely. What was the advice regarding marginal items? Typically doesn't include engine or rigging survey. Would agree if standing rigging is 15yrs old it may need replacing and definitely would pull the chain plates to inspect. Is that rust on he valve cover? why? where else? Does current owner have any maintenance receipts?

Lastly, would agree that listed price appears high.
good luck in your hunt.
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:31   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

spencer is a good solid boat. there are spencers sailing here and on west coast mexico. 15000 is a decent price for a 40 s ft boat. is a project. duh.
if the old ancient standard of 1000 usd per foot for used pristeen boats is used, 15000 is within reason. i would offer 10k and see what they say--counter offer--then offer 12500.
you will enjoy many decades of good cruising with it.
i have a friend extensively refitting one, and there is a boat neighbor here who annually takes his out into the pacific ocean to sail to other areas, with summering in various mexican ports.
they are beautiful tough boats.
make sure there is no stringer rot, that the hull to deck connection is good--pm me iof you wish to communicate with the friend who is completely refitting his. -- rebuild the engine, and wave bye bye to the naysayers on shore.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
spencer is a good solid boat. there are spencers sailing here and on west coast mexico. 15000 is a decent price for a 40 s ft boat. is a project. duh.
if the old ancient standard of 1000 usd per foot for used pristeen boats is used, 15000 is within reason. i would offer 10k and see what they say--counter offer--then offer 12500.
you will enjoy many decades of good cruising with it.
i have a friend extensively refitting one, and there is a boat neighbor here who annually takes his out into the pacific ocean to sail to other areas, with summering in various mexican ports.
they are beautiful tough boats.
make sure there is no stringer rot, that the hull to deck connection is good--pm me iof you wish to communicate with the friend who is completely refitting his. -- rebuild the engine, and wave bye bye to the naysIayers on shore.
One little note on the hull deck joint it was flanged bedded in glass mat and then solid glassed any leaks in that area are due to loosend bolts on the toe rail.
Also the decks in that area are solid glass so no core to rot or even absorb water
Old 27-03-2017, 10:08   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If the chain plates are glasses in and no history of replacement most buyers will run. You are "buying" a 35 foot boat but only getting a 30 foot based on water line length. Again will drive more potential buyers away.
With that said if you like the style of boat it not all bad.
Looks like the plates are almost at the rail so outboard plates could​ be a option. If you put a offer on this boat you may own it so start offering low. How low depends on you. It could be a $6000 boat.
Also might help to clarify your $20000. If this is all or after buying. If you pay $15000 your $5000 will not go far.
Forgot the most important, if you are not handy or the boat is located where you can't work on it don't buy it. Be honest with yourself about this.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:26   #13

It could be a good boat, but it will be expensive to get back in shape. I helped sell an old Spencer last year here locally for an estate. I think We got $2000 out of it. It had been neglected for 7 years though. A mess. No leaks in all that time though, dry inside. The diesel was froze up. Remember.... make a low ball offer nicely and see what you can do.

Plus: That looks like a yanmar diesel (?), if it's good that's a plus, that boat may have come with a gas engine originally.
No core in hull/deck is great thing, one big headache eliminated.
Con:
-Sail condition is a huge thing. Sails are very expensive now. If the sail are very good that's a plus. If not, It may be $15000.
-It looks like the mast needs to come off and be stripped and repainted, probably rewired and as you said new rigging. If you do it all yourself it's still gonna be a few thousand anyway.
-A boat that age can have bad fuel and water tanks, bad rudder/shaft etc. This can be pretty big deal involving getting the tanks out and dry dock expenses for the rudder etc.
-Watch for bottom blisters, if it has a bad case on a boat that old I would run away.
All in all it could be a good boat eventually, but don't underestimate the work. You could easily spend 2-3 years rebuilding her along the way.
The devil is in the details. Where are you?
If the sails and engine are good I might start off offering maybe $6k for the boat with a list of things needing done. Justify your offer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is some info to digest
The Spencer 35 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Old 27-03-2017, 10:31   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It could be a good boat, but it will be expensive to get back in shape. I helped sell an old Spencer last year here locally for an estate. I think We got $2000 out of it. It had been neglected for 7 years though. A mess. No leaks in all that time though, dry inside. The diesel was froze up. Remember.... make a low ball offer nicely and see what you can do.
Plus: That looks like a newer yanmar diesel, if it's good that's a plus, that boat may have come with a gas engine originally.
No core is great thing, one big headache eliminated.
Con:
-Sail condition is a huge thing. Sails are very expensive now. If the sail are very good that's a plus. If not, It may be $15000.
-It looks like the mast needs to come off and be repainted, probably rewired and as you said new rigging. If you do it all yourself it's still gonna be a few thousand anyway.
-A boat that age can have bad fuel and water tanks, bad rudder/shaft etc. This can be pretty big deal.
All in all it could be a good boat eventually, but don't underestimate the work. You could easily spend 2-3 years rebuilding her along the way.
The devil is in the details. Where are you?
If the sails and engine are good I might start off offering maybe $6k for the boat with a list of things needing done. Justify your offer.
Only two k heck I should have looked at her I figured at least 5 or 6 for her

Tags
enc