Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-02-2011, 17:04   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True... but then I remember... its either mine or someone else long term home... not a stripped down racer..
I'm happy wallowing along... if I've a choice....
Well, as it happens, the last two boats in question here have been our long-term live-aboard cruising homes ( Palmer Johnson Standfast 36 and our current Jon Sayer designed 46 footer). In the case of the aforementioned round-up, which was on the PJ (an old IOR one-tonner, with all its well known shape issues), the round-up may well have been expedited by excessive stuff and weight on board!

Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable back in MBTBC marina, waiting for next eye jobs to be done
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:05   #47

Stuck up here, hard at work in the ever raining PNW I'd be pleased as punch to go wallowing with you anytime. I can wallow with the best of them.
" The jib is fine."

Sure, come on up the mooring is vacant right now. Let me know when you are coming and I'll cook up one of my hearty specaties.

bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:09   #48
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

Thats beautiful... she's going like $*#t of a Shovel......
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:09   #49
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I can't speak for long keel boats, but all of the fin keel/skeg rudder boats that I've owned have been easily controlled while at speed, including surfing at well over hull speed.
Different boats have different stability patterns on a plane. The best I ever experienced was a J 105, which actually seemed more stable up on a plane. Worst was an Express 37, which would overpower its own rudder and tended to want to broach capriciously. Most fun was an Olson 30, which on a good day could plane on just about every wave, provided you kept the crew weight aft and pumped the main at just the right moment.

My current boat won't even think about planing in anything less than 15' seas, and that's just fine with me. The few times we've seen her take off down a wave, we've had to laugh at how pretentious she is.

On the other hand, all she needs to hit ten knots in flat seas on a beam reach is a clean bottom. Some days I don't even need the gennaker to hit double digits.
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:29   #50

My Tasar dinghy (15' LOA) was just a peach on a plane. It belonged there. It made you feel like you were the King of the World. It got up on a plane effortlessly and just sat there screaming along. The transition to a plane was invisible. All of a sudden I wuld look at my wife and say "Hey we are screaming along". She'd usually respond with" Fine. Can I drive?"

Boats all have very individual personalities. If I go out of this world leaving one message ( and don't get excited I am still very healthy it would be this. Do not generalize about boats. And love them all for what they can do.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 20:51   #51

Hinterhoeller 28' two flavours!

Later Hull.. lines appear similar to Redwing 30 yes/no? Would be way-kewl for BP to comment on reason for design changes.

Early Hull

Later Hull

SunnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 21:43   #52

the top photo is like my boat and in my opinion for having seen both models in person...I say the later model HR-28 has too much this regard the redwing looks more like the older H28...when viewed side by side the only significan diference was a more tapered tail section of the fact I was surprised to see less storage on the redwing.

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: