Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 16:50   #286
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Well, I thought kangaroo piss, but figured I wouldn't REALLY know what that tastes like. I'd always heard that about Fosters - kind of like Corona from Mexico. Ugh.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 16:52   #287
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So no - you dont got it. I was being humorous earlier - serious now, your way is not the only right way, neither is mine, you pays your money you takes your choice according to what your needs are. As I said to wheels earlier all threads like this - and a similar one in the multi section do is cater to and reinforce bias and predjudice.
Only if you're not open to other ideas and thinking. If you are and I think most are, they can actually help people decide one way or another if they are at the 50/50 point in their project. Some people do have a very set idea and just won't open their minds up. That's human nature so understandable even if, like me, some find it a bit weird.

I'm one of the 'don't cares' as to what I'm sailing as long as its safe, not a complete dog and suits the job I want it to do at the time. This thread alone has mentioned things I hadn't really thought about in any detail, in both monos and multis. That's a good thing.

I think it would only be reinforcing any bias and prejudice that already existed. Generally those with views that strong can't easily be changed anyway.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:06   #288
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
222 - The helmsman(woman) is IN the cockpit, engaged in the action/converstation, rather than on a "throne" acting like a king/queen of his/her vessel.
Or on the bow - Don't forget the bow...

Who doesn't like a woman in leather gloves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wcday3-064.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	5410  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:24   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

What matters is that it "feels" like sailing, - now as far as I can understand "feels" like sailing means that you have to have one leg shorter than the other, that you need to nuture melanomas and suffer exposure, that you have to clamber over a pedastal to get from one part of the cockpit to another, that because the thing needs a huge rudder you have to have a wheel with a beam bigger than your boat.
Many posts in this thread are "mocking" the biases. Mockery points out that biases are often unfounded and a matter of opinion.

I have watched the cat/mono debate here for a couple of years. No one boat does everything well. We all just have to accept that fact.

No Christian can convert a Muslim. No Republican can convert a Democrat. These are belief systems.

We must accept other people's belief systems in order to have relationships with them. If I were a dedicated mono person - you could tie me up, water torture me and I would never believe that a cat could be better.

The reality is that they are both good at different things.

Egos are in the way of allowing that fact in evidence.

Quote:
Got it! So... If it doesn't FEEL like sailing, I'm not really sailing.
The problem is that this is one dimension of one belief. It works for the person who believes it. And BTW - What does "sailing" feel like. If it feels different on a cat vs. a mono and it does then by this definition one of them is not sailing and that is patently false.

I could believe that unless the deck is heeled 20 degress you aren't sailing. I could believe that unless you had a tiller in your hand you aren't sailing. I could believe that unless you had a full keel you aren't sailing.

All BS...

Quote:
P.S. Fosters tastes WAY worse than any US beer. Well, most US beers. Well, anyway, some us beers. And, in our boat, there are probably 15 different beers - more than 1/2 are not US. But no Fosters.
OK - this one is not open to debate. America makes crap beer. Even Fosters is better than American beer. And Fosters is crap.

VB on the other hand is very tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret, I dont think ANYONE in Oz drinks Fosters.
Because Fosters is crap beer...

Note - No one in Australia drinks Miller either because Miller is crap beer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

I think it would only be reinforcing any bias and prejudice that already existed. Generally those with views that strong can't easily be changed anyway.

That's why I am enjoying this thread so much. It's about mockery of ingrained prejudices and paradigms.

1 - Some races have "smaller" brains.
2 - The world is flat
3 - Everything in the universe rotates around the earth

Now let's get back to drinking beer...
Old 08-10-2008, 18:31   #290
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, I thought kangaroo piss, but figured I wouldn't REALLY know what that tastes like. I'd always heard that about Fosters - kind of like Corona from Mexico. Ugh.
Comparing Fosters to roo piss is pretty insulting to the roos - you should apologize -

When I was 17 we'd drive to Tijuana and buy cases of Corona for a nickel (5 cents) a bottle. We'd hammer up and sleep on the beach in Rosarito.

Then some "genious" put a slice of lime in the top and it's now a fashionable 5 bucks!

Oh, and then some other genious decided that you need parental permission to leave the country if you are under age. What's that all about -
Old 08-10-2008, 19:03   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
#223 - Visibility, #224 - Higher lifelines

#223 Monos have better visibility

#224 Monos have higher lifelines
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 19:54   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
#224 Monos have higher lifelines
My old mono had lifelines around 600mm. The cat's are 750mm.

Mono's NEED higher lifelines though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 21:05   #293
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Nope, Factor it's you that doesn't get it. And maybe a few other Multi guys don't get it either. But it has been well said many times. It's simple really. Multi guys get wound up and Mono guys can not understand why, but we find it fun to wind you all up because you bite so well. We Mono guys really don't care what boat anyone has. Understand that? We don't care. If the owner enjoys it, then that is all that is important. I am happy to have either a Mono or a Multi raft up with me, don't care which, if the evening is one of good stories and good drinks. Whether it be the case or not, we mono guys get the feeling it would not be the other way around. I just simply do not know why you guys can not let it go. Nobody hates Multis' nor want to pick on multi owners in any malicious way. But you guys just don't seem to get it. This entire thread is totaly fun tongue in cheek purely because you bite and it probably wouldn't be as fun if you guys didn't bite. And Bite you have. All the way through it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 21:07   #294

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Who doesn't like a woman in leather gloves?
I prefer them in black patent leather thigh boots myself

{Mod edit - wrong piccy link posted}

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 21:24   #295
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
........ This entire thread is totaly fun tongue in cheek purely because you bite and it probably wouldn't be as fun if you guys didn't bite. And Bite you have. All the way through it.
Very well put Mr Wheels.

Reminds me of going Barra fishing and finding a hole full of CATFISH. You will never catch a Barra (or anything else) until the CATFISH are fished out of the hole - they never let anything get near the hook, they bite so well. At least in Far Northern Aussie.

Interestingly, it is the multis who can get into the river mouths - darn the keel on the mono.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 22:57   #296
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
OK - this one is not open to debate. America makes crap beer. Even Fosters is better than American beer. And Fosters is crap.

VB on the other hand is very tasty!

Because Fosters is crap beer...

Note - No one in Australia drinks Miller either because Miller is crap beer too.
Here here.

In Aussie and out one night. The wife wanted a Budaburg rum. I went up and ordered one and the barman said "So how's your visit going?" to which I replied "how do you know I'm a visitor?" and he said "Aussies don't drink Bundaburg only the tourists do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Nobody hates Multis' nor want to pick on multi owners in any malicious way. But you guys just don't seem to get it. This entire thread is totaly fun tongue in cheek purely because you bite and it probably wouldn't be as fun if you guys didn't bite. And Bite you have. All the way through it.
That's why it's so much fun, the bites I do suspect some of our Multi mates are having just as many giggles and know full well they'll get a mono bite back though, and good on them for doing so, that's what's made it so fun.

Now I'm off to the Multi thread to pick on monos
Old 08-10-2008, 23:20   #297
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
In Aussie and out one night. The wife wanted a Budaburg rum. I went up and ordered one and the barman said "So how's your visit going?" to which I replied "how do you know I'm a visitor?" and he said "Aussies don't drink Bundaburg only the tourists do"
You must have been in that wierd country called victoria. Us good queenslanders drink nothin else. Bundy is our first choice, or liquid sunshine as we prefer to call it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 23:23   #298

Quote:
I prefer them in black patent leather thigh boots myself

{Mod edit - wrong piccy link posted}

Dave
Hey mods, you may want to get rid of my link.

That is not what it was meant to go to, I had a scantily clad but unoffensive chick in black boots but now it seems to be something else

Sorry

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 23:26   #299

Quote:
You must have been in that wierd country called victoria. Us good queenslanders drink nothin else. Bundy is our first choice, or liquid sunshine as we prefer to call it.
Nup, dont like it either, too much like petrol for me

Inner circle is much better IMHO, as are any of the good pot stilled rums
INNER CIRCLE RUM

These you can drink straight without the fire

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 23:31   #300
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hey mods, you may want to get rid of my link.

That is not what it was meant to go to, I had a scantily clad but unoffensive chick in black boots but now it seems to be something else

Sorry

Dave
Sorted and thanks for the heads up. It was a bit off track.