Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 22:28   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Gotta have chicks, who else would change the sails, pull up the anchor, do the washing up and of course get the beers.

Stinky blokes just dont do it for me in bed either

Dave
Finally mono guys and cat guys have some common ground to build a friendship on - Virtual beers all round on me!

:c heers:

This thread can now be closed as far as I am concerned - Ha, ha, ha....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 00:08   #272
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Yup, got me agreeing to & maybe Ex Calif can arrange some cyber chicks get the virtual beers

Only 271 posts!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:01   #273
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Dave, I think you nailed it and found the universal common denominator that we (of various hull forms) can all agree upon.

Whether they slide gracefully over to the lee side to deliver the nectar to the mono captain, or carry a tray full up to the cockpit without spilling a drop on a multi…..

A good boat, a good woman with a cute rear end, justifies the means. Mabuhay Filipino!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00   #274
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

220: monos actually have a pedestal with a wheel so you can pass around it when working the sails. most cats have a wheel on the bulkhead. and to make matters worse .. they are usually on one side or the other.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09   #275

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
220: monos actually have a pedestal with a wheel so you can pass around it when working the sails. most cats have a wheel on the bulkhead. and to make matters worse .. they are usually on one side or the other.
WTF

Having a pedestal and wheel to fall over, taking up cockpit space is BETTER than having a clear roomy cockpit?

How does that work?

Give me a large spacious uncluttered work area anyday.

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 09:21   #276

Strokes and folks

221 - Monos come in a mindboggling variety of shapes, sizes, price tags, etc. Just like sexual partners.

I'm sure Dave's lack of interest in stinky blokes is sincere, but should it also apply to the women skippers? With monos one can usually find something that will work out; maybe not as well-endowed in all the best features as you'd prefer, but one you can get out on the water with. Which is, after all, the point.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25   #277
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
WTF
yep .. that's what i said and i'm stickin to it sorry if i offended you.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:49   #278
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
222 - The helmsman(woman) is IN the cockpit, engaged in the action/converstation, rather than on a "throne" acting like a king/queen of his/her vessel.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 14:52   #279
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
(In the spirit of Hhumour - with a touch of irony)

Dear Cat Man Do

I am somewhat suprised that you still exhibit amazement when patently illogical statements are made by some in this place. I have undertaken a review of the 840 self serving statments on this thread and have ascertained that what matters in a boat is not survivability in an extreme sense, its not comfort, its not speed, its not primary or secondary safety and its certainly not esae of maintenance when crusing.

What matters is that it "feels" like sailing, - now as far as I can understand "feels" like sailing means that you have to have one leg shorter than the other, that you need to nuture melanomas and suffer exposure, that you have to clamber over a pedastal to get from one part of the cockpit to another, that because the thing needs a huge rudder you have to have a wheel with a beam bigger than your boat.

So MR Cat Man Do, please undertake in future to keep logic out of your arguments, this discussion is actually about emotions, its about people with 50 years of commitment to one course of action and an inability to understand or accept change. To paraphrase the old proverb, God give me the strength to change the things I can the serenity to accept the things I cant and the wisdom to know that mono sailors are in the latter category.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 15:04   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got it! So... If it doesn't FEEL like sailing, I'm not really sailing.

Makes sense to me:

If it doesn't TASTE like a steak, yet it IS a steak, I probably don't want to eat it.

If it doesn't TASTE like a beer, but it is a beer... Why would I want to drink it?

If it one is having sex, but it doesn't FEEL like sex... Oh that's all I need - is someone telling me I'm having sex, but can't feel it!

You get the picture?
Old 08-10-2008, 15:56   #281
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Nope - you dont got it. 20 beers can taste all quite different (Guiness/Becks Corona etc etc), and still all taste great, there is no one beer TASTE. (Anyway, yanks shouldnt talk about the tatse of beer). Steak can taste remarkebly different depending on cut and cooking method yet still all taste great -There is no one steak TASTE, as for sex - well there are equally many ways to gain many feelings, they are all good.

So no - you dont got it. I was being humorous earlier - serious now, your way is not the only right way, neither is mine, you pays your money you takes your choice according to what your needs are. As I said to wheels earlier all threads like this - and a similar one in the multi section do is cater to and reinforce bias and predjudice.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 16:24   #282
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, I get it. When I drink a Guiness, or I drink a Miller Lite, or I drink a Heiniken, I can still tell it's a BEER. When I drive (note, not sail) a big cat, it's not sailing. Please realize (realise) I'm pulling your leg.

Seriously, I don't care what kind of boat I'm on, as long as I'm on a boat. We have good friends with a Catalac 34, and I love sailing on their boat.

BTW, calling a Texan a "yank" is like calling an Aussie a Brit.

P.S. Fosters tastes WAY worse than any US beer. Well, most US beers. Well, anyway, some us beers. And, in our boat, there are probably 15 different beers - more than 1/2 are not US. But no Fosters.
Old 08-10-2008, 16:42   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
(In the spirit of Hhumour - with a touch of irony)

Dear Cat Man Do

I am somewhat suprised that you still exhibit amazement when patently illogical statements are made by some in this place. I have undertaken a review of the 840 self serving statments on this thread and have ascertained that what matters in a boat is not survivability in an extreme sense, its not comfort, its not speed, its not primary or secondary safety and its certainly not esae of maintenance when crusing.

What matters is that it "feels" like sailing, - now as far as I can understand "feels" like sailing means that you have to have one leg shorter than the other, that you need to nuture melanomas and suffer exposure, that you have to clamber over a pedastal to get from one part of the cockpit to another, that because the thing needs a huge rudder you have to have a wheel with a beam bigger than your boat.

So MR Cat Man Do, please undertake in future to keep logic out of your arguments, this discussion is actually about emotions, its about people with 50 years of commitment to one course of action and an inability to understand or accept change. To paraphrase the old proverb, God give me the strength to change the things I can the serenity to accept the things I cant and the wisdom to know that mono sailors are in the latter category.
(In the spirit of Humour - with a touch of irony)

LOL, after reading bstreeps post again I've seen the error of my ways so I thought I'd go and see the boss and ask if I could trade in the big spacious office for the cluttered broom closet down the hall

That's a much better place to work isnt it?

Dave
Old 08-10-2008, 16:46   #284
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

THAT'S the spirit Dave!
Old 08-10-2008, 16:47   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post

P.S. Fosters tastes WAY worse than any US beer. Well, most US beers. Well, anyway, some us beers. And, in our boat, there are probably 15 different beers - more than 1/2 are not US. But no Fosters.
I'll let you in on a little secret, I dont think ANYONE in Oz drinks Fosters.

I think thats a special catspiss for overseas people who like wishy washy beer

Dave