Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 05:32   #1

10 hours at sea after handover major problems

We have just taken delivery of a 50 foot cruising yacht. She is brand new. Only motor sailed for 10 hours total since handover in very light winds and sea conditions. During the journey we experienced severe vibration and noise. Headed for nearest safe port where we are forced to stay.

Upon investigation we initially found cracks around the anti slip near the traveller. Next day we found another 28 cracks . We went out on a sea trial two days ago only to come back to port to find even more. This vessel now has over 30 separate fractures on her coach roof. These are on both sides.

Frankly I want to hand the boat back. I have been told not to sail her in strong winds by a surveyor. - so what's the point if she is not fit for purpose? The suggested repair process is is to cut off the foredeck and replace the anti slip. Sounds a massive job. Why should you have to tolerate this on a two day old boat?

Where do you stand legally? Manufacturer wants this to be a warranty issue.
Snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 05:34   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

Lemon law?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 05:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

What make.. Sounds like an Oyster..or maybe a Swan.. definitely not a Bene..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 06:12   #4

At this stage I am refraining from naming the marque but she is more mainstream than the ones you mentioned.

I just cannot believe that the manufacturer just wants to treat it as a warranty claim.
Old 24-05-2015, 06:13   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't fully understand. Is this a brand new boat? Why wasn't it surveyed before handover? The cracks are on the coach roof, so why cut off the foredeck? The manufacturer is treating this as a warranty issue, so what is the problem? Just send it back and have them fix it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 06:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop View Post
At this stage I am refraining from naming the marque but she is more mainstream than the ones you mentioned.

I just cannot believe that the manufacturer just wants to treat it as a warranty claim.
More mainstream than Bene? Cat or mono?

I think your first course of action will have to be letting the manufacturer treat it as a warranty and give a good attempt at making you happy. Perhaps you should try to get them into an agreement that a surveyor chosen by you will be involved in isolating the problem and assessing the fix?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 24-05-2015, 06:31   #7

The boat is brand new. With the benefit of hindsight a surveyors input may have been useful. But the fractures were not visible at handover.

The problem now is that the fracturing on both port and starboard sides of the coach roof look stress related and shows no sign of stopping. This is no I believe cosmetic. After two sea test with both an independent surveyor and a rep of the company new fractures are evident.

The anti slip on both sides of the coach roof which borders the teak deck needs to be apparently cut/ ground off and re- laid. I am told that trying to do this and achieve a factory finish is extremely difficult. And this is assuming the problem is specific to one area. If the layup process has been rushed and air pockets are visible I could end up with one very expensive hard boiled egg that has been badly attacked at breakfast.
Old 24-05-2015, 06:42   #8

Quote:
which borders the teak deck
Ugh. How are you to know what is going on under the teak? If cosmetic gelcoat issue, then no problem under the teak. If structural….

I doubt there is any legal recourse that doesn't start with letting the manufacturer have a go at it under warranty.

Again, get a qualified surveyor to agree with the cause of the problem and the solution.

Mark

Old 24-05-2015, 07:09   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

It sounds like they are telling you that the cracks are in the surface gel coat layer. I presume by anti slip you mean the pattern in the gel coat that helps shoes grip the deck. Is the non skid surface some kind of hex or square pattern in the gel coat or is it a paint with sand like particles?

If the cracks are just in the gel coat then it can be repaired. But it is not easy to do. It requires a skilled technician.

If the cracks are in the gel coat that does not mean the underlying structure is bad. A surveyor may be able to tell you if it is structural but that's not an easy determination to make.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:47   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
During the journey we experienced severe vibration and noise. Headed for nearest safe port where we are forced to stay.

Upon investigation we initially found cracks around the anti slip near the traveller. Next day we found another 28 cracks . We went out on a sea trial two days ago only to come back to port to find even more. This vessel now has over 30 separate fractures on her coach roof. These are on both sides.

If the first indication of a problem was severe vibration and noise why would we suppose the problem is cracking of the gel coat? Something is going on that is causing the gel coat cracks, not just a bad layup. You need an independent survey to try to figure out what is the structural problem.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:04   #11

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

10 hours total at sea. How long had it been in your possession when you first noted a problem?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:07   #12

Kinda stuck on the vibration issue. Of course, it almost doesn't matter - a new boat should survive getting a chunk of line caught on the prop, but if you know what the vibration was, it can be ruled out as an issue, which should be the first step. Without knowing the make and model, it is impossible to suggest looking anywhere else. Just off the top of my head I would say the entire deck structure is flexing something awful, maybe even visibly. Out in left field sits a problem with the gelcoat - too thick and too hot. Still, it shouldn't crack this fast.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:11   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

If this is such a mainstream manufacturer, but this is not a known problem with this model, perhaps they have another one they could give you sooner than it would take to make these repairs?

Also, as someone noted, have you determined what was causing the vibrations and noise initially?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:18   #14

You have my greatest sympathy. I bought a new tug type vessel built in America and in a short time the transom around the stern gate started to crack, as did the area around the stanchions. The makers suggested that I get it repaired. I had repairs done in the UK but the makers did not reply to my emails and never reimbursed me. I sold the vessel at a great loss. This was my last boat after a lifetime of sailing. I am now 74 and very sick of the thought of being so treated.

I think the suggestion of a survey before accepting a new boat is very wise, although I assume that by completion of the vessel a deposit has already been paid. Perhaps buying a recent second hand vessel, say a couple of years old, after survey would be wiser.
Charlie Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:19   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Snowdrop, if you really want them to give you a new one, you're going to need a lawyer.

It seems you would need to feel content that the boat could be prepared to as good as, or better than, new condition if you were to accept the manufacturer's offer. The question (I think) to ask yourself is "could I ever be happy with this boat--or this type of boat, given what I know now?"

Sorry for your troubles,

Ann