Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 17:18   #91

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

Im putting my money on a company that starts with B or J.

Again as in previous threads I am happy to be the bookie if anyone wants to start placing bets.
Old 26-05-2015, 21:35   #92

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Im putting my money on a company that starts with B or J.
I think most boat companies start with BJ's…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 21:56   #93

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I think most boat companies start with BJ's…

Mark
Or else, as the case may be, BS.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 22:19   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Okay ... now I get it ...

This is a joke, or a test to see what people would say ... right?

Cause there's no way I'm going to believe that someone with the money(or the financing), to buy a BRAND NEW 50 feet long yacht, doesn't have an attorney on retainer for the kinds of protection that people with this kind of money need.

Or is this a poor person who just won the lottery, doesn't understand the benefits/need of having an attorney on retainer, and still feels the need to ask questions of members of a boating forum about legal issues that need to be addressed by an attorney who has ONLY, your rights and protection in mind?

I go with the joke, or a test ... it's the only thing that makes sense.
Believe it or not.... some people actually work very hard to save up and make a major purchase like the OP has done . I don't know where you're coming from, but $500,000 is not a fortune in the boating world, in fact it's really just entry level when it comes to powerboats and buying a house in America in many markets. Some people n the cruising community sell the family home to finance their cruising dream, so no... most of us don't have an attorney on retainer. And when something unfortunate like this happens, it's not a joke... it represents a major setback.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:44   #95

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

If this thread isn't a joke, or a test to see what posters would say, then it must involve idiocy.

No one in their right mind spends 100k, 200k, 300k or whatever, regardless of whether they sold their house or their first-born to get the money, have these problems and post on a boater's forum for ideas of what to do ...

I still think this thread is a joke, or a test of some sort ... the alternative is too outlandish.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:56   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by replusted View Post
What harm would be done by letting us know who manufactured your boat. If this is a know problem with other owners of the same model, you may have a better chance of fast recourse. Does it start with "H"?
If he's still wanting the factory to make it right, draggin thier name thru the mud, isn't a good way to endear himself to them.

Name calling is something best saved until the manufacturer becomes uncooperative.

Likewise while talking to a lawyer may be a good idea, making it known to the manufacturer may not be the best approach if they are still being cooperative. Once you make it clear you are lawyering up, odds are the company will run everything thru thier lawyers and things that would have just been taken care of now are delayed or avoided entirely so as not to create the impression something was worse than it is.

With no pictures, we have no idea what really happened. This could be a minor warrantee item that is being blown out of proportion or a massive failure with the boat about to collapse in on itself.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 04:59   #97

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
If this thread isn't a joke, or a test to see what posters would say, then it must involve idiocy.

No one in their right mind spends 100k, 200k, 300k or whatever, regardless of whether they sold their house or their first-born to get the money, have these problems and post on a boater's forum for ideas of what to do ...

I still think this thread is a joke, or a test of some sort ... the alternative is too outlandish.
Lol, I must admit similar thoughts had crossed my mind. sad either way.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 05:00   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Here is where a manufacturer can step up and make this right for the boat owner - at the same time garnering some positive press from a bad situation.

Or, they can obfuscate, stonewall, prevaricate, delay, deny and bury themselves in a mound of negative BS, affecting sales and reputation and doing untold damage to their future existence.

I can guess how this will unfold.
This reminds me of the saying, no good deed goes unpunished.

If it really is something minor, they look like they are hiding something.
If it is something major, the good will won't outweigh the bad impression of publically admitting thier very new and very expensive boat is a stinking pile of....

Making it right with the owner is good buisness. Talking about it publicly is idiotic.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 05:46   #99

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Following.

My sympathies to the OP. This sounds like a nightmare from which he won't awake for a long time. I certainly believe he will never feel secure or happy with his yacht.

I also understand why he has gone quiet. I hope at some point he will come back & tell us the outcome.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:09   #100

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

If this thread is on the level ... given that the OP appears to be posting here before obtaining legal counsel, for ideas and thoughts ... or things to confront the builder with. The OP might consider what a wrong word here or there, a spoken thought, or the discussion of a compromise might effect the final result.

This isn't a $300 tuneup, or even a $5,000 motor ... this is out of the realm of flying by the seat of one's pants.

This involves serious money ... and if the OP feels the need for legal counsel is unwarranted, then let him/her suffer the consequences(or maybe the benefit) of keeping the discussion on a "personal" level.

But make no mistake, if the personal discussion is poisoned in any way and some wrong things are done or said(just discussing this with the manufacturer is, in and of itself, a form of negotiation) ... especially by the OP, he/she will want a way to turn back time, restart the clock and drive down this same path with legal counsel.

While posting on a forum like this for ideas might suffice when the damages are minimal, when the potential of damages reach this level, the damaged person should have absolutely no interest in posting on a public forum, details that eventually might not serve his/her purpose.

I still wonder if this thread is a joke or test. If it's not, the OP should look for counsel ... no! ... the OP should already have legal counsel, who has already told him/her not to post anything to a public forum.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:38   #101
cruiser

Quote:

You sound like the type of person who takes great joy from seeing other people fall down and hurt themselves. Apparently, the harder they fall.... the louder you laugh.

I assure you, that it won't be so amusing when it happens to you someday.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:56   #102

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You sound like the type of person who takes great joy from seeing other people fall down and hurt themselves. Apparently, the harder they fall.... the louder you laugh.

I assure you, that it won't be so amusing when it happens to you someday.
That's quite an unfair assumption kenomac, there was nothing in his post to suggest he was making light of what has happened, yet alone taking pleasure in it.

But for the reasons others have suggested, this whole discussion on a subject that has so much finance tied up in it, hundreds of thousands(?), it is really unbelievably naive to be seeking first advise on cf.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:04   #103

Until I see pics, I refuse to believe a word of it.
Old 27-05-2015, 07:37   #104

There is an established point at law called an implied warranty. An implied warranty goes beyond a manufacturer's warranty. Not knowing where the transaction took place, where the manufacturer is domiciled, or where the buyer lives and sent his money from makes knowing the legal jurisdiction could be used to demand making good or make a replacement. For what it is worth you need to look at consumer laws and pick the best jurisdiction to stake your legal claim in. If for instance you live in the USA and you wired money for the purchase to let's say a French boat builder then you could take action in the USA courts. I would also suggest that you look at civil criminal action along with using consumer protection laws. For instance wire fraud and deceptive practises could be used if you can get some evidence that this is not a one off issue and the manufacturer is hiding this fact from buyers. You don't even need to prove that at this point. File and allege and then under discovery grill the manufacturers employees under oath. You never know what you will discover.

Basically legal action is an act of war. You need to hire a lawyer because as another poster said you may easily compromise your rights by dealing yourself with the manufacturer. And as with any war strategy.... pick your field of battle (country of jurisdiction) and hit the enemy with everything and without mercy. Who knows if you prove prior knowledge of a defect you could even seek punitive damages. And my guess if the manufacturer receives a law suit claiming criminal wrong doing and seeking real and punitive damages they will set things right immediately if they have half a brain.

By the way I'm sick of reading about the shoddy treatment of new boat owners especially by the French boat builders. I want to shout....We Won't Take It Anymore.

Good luck.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 07:49   #105

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Structural engineering 101. Weight increases as the cube of length. Strength increases as the square of length. The bigger you build it the greater the stress.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Right...the ol'e Square-Cube law....the reason that an ant has such thin legs in proportion to its form, compared to an elephant, or taking it further, look how nature had to increase leg bone diameters up even more on a brontosaurus than just what a proportional scale up from an elephant would warrant.

The best book on the topic I ever found at a paperback clearance shelf at Barnes and Noble-

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=DcwYAQAAIAAJ
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote