Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 07:18   #61

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A survey of a new boat is even more critical than a used boat IMO. And no one should every buy an expensive used boat without a complete survey. .
+1. I see people break that rule all the time and they pay for the consequences. Unfortunately human nature makes it difficult for the experience to be shared widely.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:40   #62

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
New boats always have inherent kinks to work out, hopefully nothing as big as this instance, I am with the others, I would press hard for another different vessel. I'll stick with my old boat and albeit a pain because of the extensive refit I am involved in, when I am done, I will know every nut, bolt & system, intimately

Indeed. Though it has to be said significant refits are a part of any boat's life that is actually used and not kept in a showroom. Ship of Theseus and all that. BTW, I used to skipper a Skookum 55 (60 with the sprit, as I remember) a number of years back. She was quite a trick astern, but sound as a pound and ACRES of room. Liked the ol' gal a lot.

Sorry for the slight thread drift.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:43   #63

Boat: Skookum 53'

Definitely have to work with the prop walk.
Old 25-05-2015, 09:11   #64
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getweh View Post
Ditto that - I would never be able to trust that boat (and probably that make) ever again in life!!
Now I'm not going to pick on Hunter, so Hunter owners don't get all defensive. I agree 100% with this comment. Our previous Hunter had a keel issue that was properly repaired (no thanks to Hunter) making the boat better than new, BUT my wife never ever trusted that boat again... Every time it healed over, she though we were going to die because the keel was going to come loose again.

The OP or his or her significant other is never again going to feel safe on that boat. Even if the manufacturer makes a repair.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 10:12   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've mostly purchased used things throughout my life, including my home/office building which is 150 years old... I'm only the third owner. And I've always expected with used items, that a certain amount of repair work would be required... Usually in the form of my own sweat equity.

But....

I feel that when one buys a new boat or home, there's an expectation that the purchase will fulfill the use for which its intended for and not begin falling apart with a few hours. So I don't think it's appropriate to "pile on" the OP. It's very easy to buy into all the boat show hype. I'm sure his or her expectations were that everything would be as promised regarding their purchase.

Ken
I hope it didn't come across that I was picking on the OP. That wasn't my intent. My comment was intended for other folks looking to buy new because they want a boat in perfect condition.

I also agree that you should expect the purchase will not be falling apart in a few hours but the fact is, this is a suprisingly common issue.

Get a survey prior to taking possesion. If it turns up major issues, you have a much better chance of demanding a different hull or walking away.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 17:19   #66

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A survey of a new boat is even more critical than a used boat IMO. And no one should every buy an expensive used boat without a complete survey. People make boats. People make mistakes. Therefore it is inevitable that some new boats will have mistakes. It is much less expensive to find these mistakes before you leave the dealer. So yes, a survey on a new boat should be expected. And the dealer should welcome the surveyor with open arms. If not, then that's another problem.
If I was having a new boat built, I would have a surveyor inspect agreed upon stages of the build process itself.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 18:37   #67
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It's highly unlikely a survey would have picked up anything in the OPs new yacht. Progress surveys..not likely on a production yacht.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:38   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If I was having a new boat built, I would have a surveyor inspect agreed upon stages of the build process itself.

Mark
Agree 100% - especially at the price level of today's 50' boats.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:39   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Progress surveys..not likely on a production yacht.
I would bet only a shoddy builder would say no to an in progress survey.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:42   #70

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If you're going to spend more on a new boat than a new house, shouldn't there be a documented inspection log or something?
Your new house has all sorts of nasty building inspectors annoying the builder.
If you buy a "production" car, it will have inspection marks all over it.
Just askin'.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:54   #71
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Oh of course it will be inspected by the builder, but asking Beneteau, Jeanneau, lagoon, FP etc if you can have a private surveyor inspect the build at stages would be like asking ford if you can have an engineer come inspect your car while it's being built.. Basically not an option. In fact they do sometimes allow a factory visit of not more than 1 hr, in the presence of the agent, but not to inspect the yachts build quality. Smaller volume builders are more likely to allow progress surveys so if that's a priority for a buyer, that's where they will have to shop.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 20:09   #72

Quote:
It's highly unlikely a survey would have picked up anything in the OPs new yacht. Progress surveys..not likely on a production yacht.
Well by the sounds of it one sure would pick something up now!
Old 25-05-2015, 20:12   #73

Quote:
Oh of course it will be inspected by the builder, but asking Beneteau, Jeanneau, lagoon, FP etc if you can have a private surveyor inspect the build at stages would be like asking ford if you can have an engineer come inspect your car while it's being built.. Basically not an option. In fact they do sometimes allow a factory visit of not more than 1 hr, in the presence of the agent, but not to inspect the yachts build quality. Smaller volume builders are more likely to allow progress surveys so if that's a priority for a buyer, that's where they will have to shop.
Well THAT in itself is a significant issue for me, were I ever to consider buying a new boat (not likely and frankly even with unlimited budget would mean I would commission and oversee every part of the build!). I know you are right. But I find it is a real issue. Fine if these boats are indeed, as I am generally given the impression (and I sail a lot of them!) like the mass produced family sedan with a spoiler you correctly reference… And used for weekend and coastal sailing. But increasingly people are taking them across Oceans, and in some cases to high latitudes… IMHO a bit like choosing a Ford Focus for a trans Saharan drive. Can it be done?… Sure, with good planning and restricted route. Does it invite disaster?… Yep. Would it have been better in a (especially 1980s in good condition) Land Cruiser? Ummm….
Old 25-05-2015, 21:47   #74

Boat: Racer/Crusier Columbia, 40

I have a big problem here! Your telling me that you've purchased a new sailboat and used it for only ten hours and found defects in this new boat and the manufactures saying to bad for you, we will only fix it under warranty, not replace the boat with a new boat! Who knows what other problems will happen down the road. I thought any kind of purchases that it be a car, toaster, or whatever! Their is at least a thirty day return. If some thing is defective than that is a return item which is up to you to have it fix or replaced! Now that sounds like a super law suit to me. Shame on you for not saying who the manufacture is and especially since they will not offer you a new replace boat! People need to know for their own awareness. For the money you are spending on a 50 ft boat! Their is no way in this life that I don't get a new boat! That is period end of discussion! Sorry to me that is total crap!
tbeargladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 22:15   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeargladd View Post
I have a big problem here! Your telling me that you've purchased a new sailboat and used it for only ten hours and found defects in this new boat and the manufactures saying to bad for you, we will only fix it under warranty, not replace the boat with a new boat! Who knows what other problems will happen down the road. I thought any kind of purchases that it be a car, toaster, or whatever! Their is at least a thirty day return. If some thing is defective than that is a return item which is up to you to have it fix or replaced! Now that sounds like a super law suit to me. Shame on you for not saying who the manufacture is and especially since they will not offer you a new replace boat! People need to know for their own awareness. For the money you are spending on a 50 ft boat! Their is no way in this life that I don't get a new boat! That is period end of discussion! Sorry to me that is total crap!
Welcome to CF!

A bit harsh on the OP, no? They are just asking for advice, are likely hurting and worried at the moment and don't want to make any legal missteps. Public shaming may perhaps be actionable (I have no idea but possible) etc. That is by the company, not by you, but, yes, seems harsh and unnecessary.

In litigation you may have to keep your trap shut.

As to the last sentence(s), it is unclear to what you are referring?