Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 16:57   #181

Boat: Pearson 26
Re: 1.5 Mil. to Spend….

I'd probably be looking at Hylas if I had that kind of money to spend.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 18:47   #182

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up Re: Hylas Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Get back out there soon, Shane
There is a good video of the Hylas 56 on the Cruising World website. Looks like one nice ship; makes me a bit envious at the choice of well built cruising yachts you people have in the US. I seem to be surrounded by racers and the odd cruising yacht that is destined to go nowhere. It is all a bit depressing. The Cruising World site also has a lot of other useful articles that make you want to get out there,

http://www.cruisingworld.com/videos/most-recent-videos/hylas-56

(For some reason I could not quote the above post, so I took the long way around.)
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38   #183
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Cross-Over Forum Links ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
That is probaly an excellent idea. And if you really want to explore the very shallow Bahamas you might just consider a multihull. Resale on these multi's can be pretty good as there aren't as many around.

Maybe a 'picnic' cat like this one:
Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - YachtForums.Com

..or a powersailer like this:
HK40' - Power Sailing Catamaran.

...or a 62' power cat like this one that belongs to a friend:
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -

Appears as though my postings have been censored in some way ??

Is it now allowable to link to other forums?

I just didn't want to try and duplicate all the photos and discussions that I created on those sites over here. There is a wealth of info there, including replies from other parties that may never cross over in forum contibutions.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05   #184

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Cross-Over Forum Links ?

Quote:

I just didn't want to try and duplicate all the photos and discussions that I created on those sites over here. There is a wealth of info there, including replies from other parties that may never cross over in forum contibutions.
I'm guessing its the commercial/advertising nature of the posts since you appear to be in the brokerage business.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:05   #185

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:

They work just fine for me if logged in

If not I get this and need to click on the bold bit
Quote:
NOTICE: By following the "Continue to External Link" below you will be leaving Cruisers & Sailing Forums web site and entering a web site hosted by another party. Cruisers & Sailing Forums does not have any responsibility for, or control over, any of these sites, their content or their privacy policies. We do not endorse or make any representations about them, or any information, products, or materials found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the linked third parties, you do so entirely at your own risk.

Continue to External Link
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08   #186

Boat: Pearson 26
Re: Hylas Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
There is a good video of the Hylas 56 on the Cruising World website. Looks like one nice ship; makes me a bit envious at the choice of well built cruising yachts you people have in the US. I seem to be surrounded by racers and the odd cruising yacht that is destined to go nowhere. It is all a bit depressing. The Cruising World site also has a lot of other useful articles that make you want to get out there,

http://www.cruisingworld.com/videos/most-recent-videos/hylas-56

(For some reason I could not quote the above post, so I took the long way around.)
There's also a review of the Hylas 56 in the July issue of Lattitudes & Attitudes.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 17:07   #187

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Hylas Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
There's also a review of the Hylas 56 in the July issue of Lattitudes & Attitudes.
Yes, they look like nice boats. Nevertheless, being a bit more realistic, I am wondering if for starters someone like the poster might be better off with something smaller and more manageable. Most usually you will plan to have all those extra bunks and all you really get is more room for mutineers who will depart swiftly after having annoyed you to the point of insanity. Not to mention the headaches when all those complicated systems start to fail.

This is why I really admire designs like the Gozzard 30/36 or the copy cat Island Packet Estero. As a couple you could go anywhere in either of these boats in comfort and there is provision for extra bunks if required. Their owners seem to be the meticulous types, so there are some immaculate second hand boats out there. Then if you do buy new and keep them in good condition they obviously have decent resale values. You might not be going anywhere too fast, which might even help a beginner control the boat, but you will get there surely and steadily in style?

http://www.gozzard.com/brokerage.php?area=&cid=1&aid=250

http://www.gozzard.com/boat_information.php?aid=3

http://ipy.com/ShowBoat.asp?bEarly=0&sBoat=Estero
Old 25-08-2011, 14:33   #188

Boat: Catamaran

It would be good to offer 1.4m for a used Lagoon 620. I have seen a couple that are a few dollars more, but with the current economic situation would be surprised to see a seller turn down the cash.

Lagoon 620 (Only the best)
RiskyCatamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 23:33   #189

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Get a nice big cat with that kind of money,even German Frers & the Fins are going multi;

OQS - Ocean Quality Systems Ab Oy

Cheers,

JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:05   #190
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
In making this decision I’m also deciding to take a hit on the backside. No problem, considering other than the initial boat buy no other funds need to come out of future retirement. I make more than enough to pay for all expenses out of my business income.
I would worry a little on how long it would take to sell a 46’ boat. Do I now concentrate on a major brand, Amel, Southerly etc., knowing there are fewer on the market than say an IP and I have a better chance to sell when I want to???
Sheesh, always tradeoffs…..
Had an interesting conversation with a catamaran builder from SA during the Annapolis Show. He indicated that in the current economy it was harder to sell those 'midrange' size and price vessels than the much more expensive ones. I'm sure there are several factors at work here including available (limited available) financing.

Mark, last we heard you were going to attend a number of fall boat shows. That season is just about finished. Wonder what you found (or didn't), and what new opinions have been formed in your search....power, sail, whatever?
Old 02-11-2011, 15:43   #191

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
They work just fine for me if logged in

If not I get this and need to click on the bold bit

Not the dreaded EXternal Link Dangerous
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 20:53   #192

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: $1,500,000 to Spend . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I’m outta here in three years….
We want to spend the first 10 years cruising the world. At first we were looking at Trawlers, Fleming and Nordhavn 55’s, and we’re going to ship then across instead of cross ourselves. Now, we both are leaning towards sail, which I’m very happy with.
I need some direction not knowing too much about what’s available now. We plan on attending all the shows starting with Newport this September. We’ll be chartering starting next summer and ordering the summer after that, if we decide on a new boat. I have no problem with the initial drop in price of a new boat IF we decide to go that way.
I’m sure we’ll have our kid’s and friends visiting us for some of the times so I’m leaning towards a larger boat. Also I’ll be able to put enough aside to generate 15% of boat cost in income for the duration.

Now, experience….
I have never owned a boat!
BUT, (I know this sounds funny) I surfed for 20 years, 6 professionally.
I KNOW MOTHER OCEAN!!!!
I have sailed all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean, actually crewing on a 100 foot sloop for a while and am at home in the water….
I have completed Chapman’s’ advanced courses both in seamanship and engines. We will take the first year in the Caribbean before making the journey so I’m confident we’ll make the right decision at the time.
Would like a little direction on well built, blue water sailboat manufactures….
Sorry for being so long winded…
Thanks

Mark
Here’s my recommendation that involves several steps.

Buy a Cal 40 , Cal 43 or Cal 48 right now. This will be a starter boat. They can be had for $65k-150k in good condition. They all have pretty good performance, are well built and most importantly are fairly forgiving to sail. Have any obvious defects fixed but go sailing soon. Get a delivery crew to take it to the cruising destinations of your choice. Go out on long weekends or whenever you can.

You need to start sailing right now if you want to hit the trail in 3yr and not find yourself in the deep end. It will also give you a better idea what to look for when you look for the round the world boat.

Assuming that it will mostly you and your wife sailing the boat with occasional guests then a lighter boat will be more manageable: smaller sails, lighter anchoring gear, easier maneuvering.

Boats in the 50’ range, would be about right, large enough to handle copious guests, good performance, ability to carry plenty of cruising gear without being overloaded, and generally impressive without being so large as to become unmanageable despite the light weight.

Sundeer 56 or 60: Sundeer 56 - Yachtworld, Sundeer 60 - Yachtworld
J160: J160 - Yachtworld, J160,
Santa Cruz 50 or 52: Santa Cruz 50, Santa Cruz 52, SC 50, SC52 - Yachtworld, SC50 - Yachtworld
Valiant 50: Valiant 50 - Yachtworld
X50 or -55: X-50, X-55, X50-Yachtworld, X55- Yachtworld
All of these boats are under 40,000lb.

My personal preference would be the SC50 for lightness, very functional layout, and long term reputation and most room for guests. The drawbacks to this model would be gear capacity would be a bit more constrained since this is the lightest boat and use of the checkstays will take more sailing skill.

Frankly, if you get the Cal 43 or 48 you may be happy enough with either to stick with them and forget the bigger boats.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 21:06   #193

Call Robert Perry - pay him a small consulting fee - fly up to see him and spend the day.
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 21:06   #194

Boat: Hunter 37C/Helms27

Discovery 55, nothing more to say.

Pilotocopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:38   #195

Hey Mark. Check out the Marlow 70E if you're still considering powerboats...there's one for sale for $1.5MM near here and if you like Flemings and Nordhavns then you should see a Marlowe... very well-built and well-thought out....I spent some time on a Marlow 76 and it was awesome....You also owe it to yourself to check out a Lagoon 560 and Lagoon 620 sailing cat. They are naturally more stable than powerboats, have HUGE salons/cockpits/flybridges and widely-spaced staterooms so it feels bigger. A 620 has as much interuior space as a 80' monohull and you don't need any extra crew to run it... A couple can do it all....I prefer the galley up versions because the breakfast bar becomes the cozy pub/nightclub at night. If you want to go long distances, sailing will save a lot in fuel costs. There's one Lagoon 620 available for $1.5MM and several 560's for less than that.
BOATaHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote