Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 01:53   #31

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Straits of Magellan

Not everybody has an unlimited amount of time....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 02:19   #32

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Not everybody has an unlimited amount of time....

I know that all too well, brookiesailor, but my point was that trying to do it all in an unrealistic timespan will guarantee that you won't even enjoy what little you end up doing. Norway to Patagonia in 6 months will only get you frustrated, tired and maybe put you in danger.

To me, supposing you're leaving from the East coast of North America, the logical way to get to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months would be Bermuda and Azores before the end of May, then straight to the Brazilian tip. A stop in Cabo Verde would be tempting but then starting in July you would be heading against the SW African monsoon. Then just follow the coast and you can make it realistically to Puerto Williams by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 02:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
I know that all too well, brookiesailor, but my point was that trying to do it all in an unrealistic timespan will guarantee that you won't even enjoy what little you end up doing. Norway to Patagonia in 6 months will only get you frustrated, tired and maybe put you in danger.

To me, supposing you're leaving from the East coast of North America, the logical way to get to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months would be Bermuda and Azores before the end of May, then straight to the Brazilian tip. A stop in Cabo Verde would be tempting but then starting in July you would be heading against the SW African monsoon. Then just follow the coast and you can make it realistically to Puerto Williams by the end of the year.

Thank you belle,
Sorry I got short. Restraint of pen and tongue is something I need to work on. The problem is we want to see it all. I agree that forcing the trip is just going to lead to frustration. That is why I am starting my planning two years in advance so I can get the knowledge of those that went before. And work out a reasonable agenda. I need to be able to fly home every six months for medical reasons. We have not one but two family farms that are working. We are hoping that my BIL will take them over so we can make our trip but that is not guaranteed. So all our planning and dreams might be reduced to day trips on the Chesapeake.
Our lives are complicated. Right now we are wannabes with a dream. So if we seem rushed I apologize.

Old 16-05-2015, 03:38   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ if you are in the Chesapeake area, we would be happy to get together with you and talk it all through (we live in Alexandria now). We spent 3 years in Patagonia in two visits, one approaching from the Atlantic and one from the pacific.

Just FYI . . . Our Atlantic approach was Iceland to canaries to cape Verdies to Uruguay. Our pacific approach was panama to gambier (French Polynesia) to chile.

There is a bunch of info scattered around our website Beth and Evans Home Page.

We have been round the world twice, and Patagonia is by far my favorite place . . . But it is a long way down there and quite challenging once you are there.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 06:15   #35

My friends,
I am going to put this conversation on hold for a few days. I travel to the U.S. On Wednesday and I have a tooth that needs to be pulled sometime between now and then. So my attitude isn't up to snuff. I really look forward to continuing this conversation. My husband and I have been saving for eight years to buy a boat and so we are doing everything we can to make this dream a reality

Old 29-01-2019, 10:31   #36

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
My husband and I are planning the purchase of our boat in the next two years and have started to look at our initial passage. Our plan is to sail from the east coast of the U.S. South and cross over to the pacific through the straights of Magellan. Has anybody here made the east west passage through the straits?

Hey brookiesailor, did this trip ever happen (you posted this three years ago)?

I'm contemplating this route myself so I would appreciate any insight

Fair winds
Paul
SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 20:52   #37

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailMoonShadow View Post
Hey brookiesailor, did this trip ever happen (you posted this three years ago)?

I'm contemplating this route myself so I would appreciate any insight

Fair winds
Paul
Since the original run of posts on this thread I have been back through the western end of Magallanes ( West of Cabo Froward to Faro Fairway) three more times... once eastbound in May/June, east/west in April, and finally west bound in September 2018.

My advice stands regarding entering from the Atlantic through the two narrows if you are on a smaller yacht. However in the last two years or so I have seen an increasing number of bigger.... ie over 14 metre .... yachts coming in this way. So big boat... fit crew... quite do-able. They have all entered in at Pta. Arenas then proceeded down to Williams via Canal Magdalena. So you pays your money ... you makes your choice.

A few words re our last voyage... left Pto Williams in the first week in September and then had a 5 day(?) 'wait on weather' event in Caleta Olla.
After that a dream run.... either calm or light winds from south or east almost all the way.... only 3 more 'wait on weather' days ... all north of Golfo de Penas.

Also had 3 'laydays'... either in port ( Eden y Aguirre ) or due to coming to anchor in the wee small hours of the morning and having a day of rest.

Quite cold but wonderful clear days... would now be my time of choice for a northbound trip up to Montt.

I wish you well with your trip.
Ping
Old 29-01-2019, 21:51   #38

Boat: Volkscruiser

EL Pinguino just curious what the issue is with going west through Magellanes in a small boat? To big a distance between anchorages or just bad conditions against the prevailing weather? Is the strait La Maire/Beagle channel the easier way if you are heading to the horn?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 22:45   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
EL Pinguino just curious what the issue is with going west through Magellanes in a small boat? To big a distance between anchorages or just bad conditions against the prevailing weather? Is the strait La Maire/Beagle channel the easier way if you are heading to the horn?
Cheers
The tides, the prevailing wind, and the lack of safe and sheltered anchorages are the problem.

Once you cross Banco Sarmiento and pass Cabo Dungeness you have about 50 miles to make to windward to get up to Punta Delgado. No anchorages along the way and a strong tide.... so if the wind and the tide are against you you are going nowhere.... if the tide is going your way but you have a fresh SW'ly you will be working into short steep seas and abject misery shall be your lot.

Having got up to Punta Delgado you can get safe anchorage east of the lighthouse by the pilot boats. You now have to deal with the Primera and Secunda Angosturas...the first and second narrows... and the bit inbetween.

Here the tide runs from slack to slack - by memory - at about 8 knots so no way you are getting through there in any sort of westerly weather. A few boats get through both narrows in one tide... most don't.

Once through the narrows you then have - I think - about 30 more miles down to Punta Arenas - still tidal for much of the way - and PA is wide open from south through east to north.

The entire area in the pic below experiences strong tides.....

I've done it once the other way with no issues.

Now, if you carry on down to Staten Island you can anchor at Puerto Hoppner, wait for a good weather window, pick your time for a run through Le Maire - tide is only an issue over a relatively short stretch - and be in Williams in time for tea..

Well not quite ... but with a dawn start from Hoppner you can be in Williams the following afternoon... and there are a number of good secure anchorages along the way on the Chilean side.

Ping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maga.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	184779  
Old 29-01-2019, 23:25   #40

Thanks Ping, it is always interesting hearing from someone who has done it. Have you been to Cabo Raper Lighthouse? I would love to see the old railway line ruins there.
railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/13elighthouses.html
Another question, whats the smallest yacht you have seen cruising on your travels down there? Half the time when I am reading this forum anything smaller than 40 foot seems to be thought of as camping!
Cheers
Old 29-01-2019, 23:47   #41

Haven't been to Raper.... but have been close enough inshore to see the big landslip across the track close south of the light before it turns inland and runs over to Pto Slight at the head of Seno Hoppner. Bet that gave them a bit of a start...

Did go into Pto Barosso last trip... on the east side of Pen Tres Montes... that was interesting country. Want to go back there and do the inside of Golfo de Penas around and up to Tortel.... lots of history in that area.

Smallest boats? Well... excluding two kayaks? One in Pto Williams.. the other in Tortuoso/ Magallanes....

Well there was a Mini Transat 6.5 came in from the Atlantic one year... maybe 12 years ago.... sailed back into the Atlantic and was lost...
Other than that about 28 foot... one was an engineless wooden H28 with a 70+ kiwi single hander.
I know of other *very* small stuff that has gone through the channels... hobie cats and stuff but haven't seen it.
Ping
Old 30-01-2019, 00:02   #42

I have read a few books about small boats going around the Horn? I think Yoh Aoki in his 21' plywood yacht was a pretty good effort.
Cheers
Old 31-01-2019, 12:31   #43

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The tides, the prevailing wind, and the lack of safe and sheltered anchorages are the problem.
Ping
That's kinda what I thought. I've no illusions that it could be a desperate slog. Not to mention the hundreds of miles of no habitation at the western end and once you are into the Pacific and heading north.

Still, if it were easy everyone would be doing it!

You mentioned yacht size varies - I have a Sigma 362. She's pretty robust (Lloyds #1) but I know any boat can get into bother given enough pounding.

I imagine September to March gives the best chance of a successful passage, is that right? Current plan is to do the normal Canaries - W Indies crossing late 2020 or early 2021 spend 4-6 months slumming it in the Caribbean 😉 then head south. Of course I might just chicken out and <whisper> use the canal </whisper>

All the best
SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 13:26   #44

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

ahh Ping, but the 5 days in Olla you got to hang out with me and I got to drink your rum..... lol

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 00:08   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
ahh Ping, but the 5 days in Olla you got to hang out with me and I got to drink your rum..... lol

LD
At least you didn't want spuds and onions... had that not once but twice in that general area.... boats that will be in town in a few days wanting to rat my sea stocks.....

You can buy rum in Eden... you can't buy spuds and onions....

Tags
magellan