Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2015, 02:53   #31

Re: Straits of Magellan

Not everybody has an unlimited amount of time....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 16-05-2015, 03:19   #32

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Not everybody has an unlimited amount of time....

I know that all too well, brookiesailor, but my point was that trying to do it all in an unrealistic timespan will guarantee that you won't even enjoy what little you end up doing. Norway to Patagonia in 6 months will only get you frustrated, tired and maybe put you in danger.

To me, supposing you're leaving from the East coast of North America, the logical way to get to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months would be Bermuda and Azores before the end of May, then straight to the Brazilian tip. A stop in Cabo Verde would be tempting but then starting in July you would be heading against the SW African monsoon. Then just follow the coast and you can make it realistically to Puerto Williams by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 16-05-2015, 03:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
I know that all too well, brookiesailor, but my point was that trying to do it all in an unrealistic timespan will guarantee that you won't even enjoy what little you end up doing. Norway to Patagonia in 6 months will only get you frustrated, tired and maybe put you in danger.

To me, supposing you're leaving from the East coast of North America, the logical way to get to Tierra del Fuego in 6 months would be Bermuda and Azores before the end of May, then straight to the Brazilian tip. A stop in Cabo Verde would be tempting but then starting in July you would be heading against the SW African monsoon. Then just follow the coast and you can make it realistically to Puerto Williams by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Thank you belle,
Sorry I got short. Restraint of pen and tongue is something I need to work on. The problem is we want to see it all. I agree that forcing the trip is just going to lead to frustration. That is why I am starting my planning two years in advance so I can get the knowledge of those that went before. And work out a reasonable agenda. I need to be able to fly home every six months for medical reasons. We have not one but two family farms that are working. We are hoping that my BIL will take them over so we can make our trip but that is not guaranteed. So all our planning and dreams might be reduced to day trips on the Chesapeake.
Our lives are complicated. Right now we are wannabes with a dream. So if we seem rushed I apologize.

Old 16-05-2015, 04:38   #34
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

^^ if you are in the Chesapeake area, we would be happy to get together with you and talk it all through (we live in Alexandria now). We spent 3 years in Patagonia in two visits, one approaching from the Atlantic and one from the pacific.

Just FYI . . . Our Atlantic approach was Iceland to canaries to cape Verdies to Uruguay. Our pacific approach was panama to gambier (French Polynesia) to chile.

There is a bunch of info scattered around our website Beth and Evans Home Page.

We have been round the world twice, and Patagonia is by far my favorite place . . . But it is a long way down there and quite challenging once you are there.
Old 16-05-2015, 07:15   #35

My friends,
I am going to put this conversation on hold for a few days. I travel to the U.S. On Wednesday and I have a tooth that needs to be pulled sometime between now and then. So my attitude isn't up to snuff. I really look forward to continuing this conversation. My husband and I have been saving for eight years to buy a boat and so we are doing everything we can to make this dream a reality

Tags
magellan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: