Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 18:50   #886
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
From your link. Please read what you post.

Quote:
'What we're seeing is UV levels affecting the distribution of air masses around the Atlantic basin. This causes a redistribution of heat so while Europe and the US may be cooler, Canada and the Mediterranean will be warmer, and there is little direct impact on global temperatures,' explains Sarah Ineson from the Met Office, lead author of the report.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:55   #887
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

The net accumulation has increased CO2 levels from 287 to 410 ppm over the past 2.5 centuries, a 43% increase which, using carbon isotope analysis, can be directly attributed to the burning of fossil fuels.

It ain't the sun - science says so.
ok so you say but here is my reply where did all that coal and oil come from?

Old 09-05-2018, 18:57   #888
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ok so you say but here is my reply where did all that coal and oil come from?
Sequestered carbon: diatoms and vegetation.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:58   #889
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Population Growth Trumps the CO2% increase...so is the BTU energy of heat given off by the larger human population responsible for Global Warming? By our Good Friend Jacks Logic above, the logic is YES......do you see the folly....
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:59   #890
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
I like the troll spray but its being used on the wrong person again.
Climate El Nino
Sun causes 'La Nina-like effect' on earth - ABC Local - Australian Broadcasting Corporation
See it is the sun.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:03   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Oh PLEASE, SailOar. After 59 pages and almost 900 posts, you're suddenly purporting to keep this thread confined to issues concerning the NW Passage?? Need I remind you that your very own Post #1 included a link to a resource for navigating the NW Passage, immediately followed in Post #2 with an alarmist link to the doomsday Scribbler site?? Have we not read again & again how warm Arctic temps & declining sea ice are the 'canary in the coal mine' for MMGW??
I agree that this thread has often gone far off-topic. I have no control over what others say, or don't say. What I meant to say was that I have chosen mostly to post topics regarding the Arctic -- which post #2 was about.

Quote:
So first you threaten to have a poster with contrary views banned,
Apparently the moderators agreed that a certain poster's rhetoric went outside the bounds of CF guidelines.
Quote:
then you label another poster with opposing views a troll,
In the particular post that I quoted he was clearly trolling. The sentence I quoted had nothing to do with the rest of his post. He offered no supporting data for his vague assertion. Furthermore, the topic had been argued numerous times before.
Quote:
and now you're trying to quash debate on the grounds that it's 'off topic.' If your alarmist sources are so scientifically certain, then it begs the question what exactly you fear from opposing points of view?
What debate am I trying to quash? I just don't want this thread to be shut down, as so many climate-related threads have, as you well know. What I am saying is that if we want to have a full-fledged AGW debate, and if the mods will permit it, I have a lot more to post than what I have been posting.
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:05   #892
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sequestered carbon: diatoms and vegetation.
via photosynthesis which requires sunlight. So kinda proves my point again it all comes down to the sun.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:08   #893

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
From your link. Please read what you post.
No need...

16th April...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Newhaul could be on the money. And we only need a handful of months to see if this is the case...

ICE AGE: Forecaster predicts 'coldest winter on record'
MINI Ice Ages, horrific thunderstorm and cyclone seasons, and a lot more floods - the future of Australia's weather looks grim according to amateur weather forecaster David Taylor.
Mr Taylor - who runs East Coast Weather Facebook page - has correctly predicted major weather events in the past, and his latest terrifying prediction was that Australia could experience its coldest winter on record.
Temperatures and snowfall could reach shocking levels compared to previous years, and icy conditions could impact huge areas of the country in periods.
Related Items

Mr Taylor previously told the Cairns Post while it will be "slightly cooler than normal in the north...the real cold will be in the southern states (NSW) and south-east Queensland".
He uses sunspots and interprets them with models to get readings of upcoming weather events, but the majority of weather sources, including The Bureau of Meteorology, don't use this method.
According to National Weather Service: "Sunspots are areas where the magnetic field is about 2500 times stronger than Earth's, much higher than anywhere else on the sun."
"Because of the strong magnetic field, the magnetic pressure increases while the surrounding atmospheric pressure decreases.
"This in turn lowers the temperature relative to its surroundings because the concentrated magnetic field inhibits the flow of hot, new gas from the Sun's interior to the surface."
Mr Taylor wrote a "winter update" on East Coast Weather on April 16.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
10th May...

Icy cold front to chill cities with coldest temperatures in decades

Quote:
WITH the freezing cold snap starting to hit southeast Australia, cities will experience their coldest days for as many as 50 years for some places.

The shock change comes after warmer temperatures across many capitals during April, with Sydney experiencing the hottest day on record for the month and what felt like an endless summer.
A stray low pressure system with a polar air mass behind it moving north from the Southern Ocean is responsible for the cold front, bringing rain, chilly air, thunderstorms, small hail and even snow.
Between 20-40cm of natural snow is predicted for the alpine region until Sunday.
Snow is also expected to fall in central and western Victoria and over the Central Tablelands in New South Wales on Friday.
Canberra is due to cop its coldest day in almost two decades.
Sky News Weather chief meteorologist Tom Saunders told news.com.au Canberra would hit a high of 9C tomorrow which is the coldest May day in 18 years.
“For this early in the year it would be the coldest day in 48 years,” he said.
Queensland will largely be spared the icy blast with a warmer maximum of 23C and only a slight drop in temperatures.
Certain parts of regional Queensland will still feel the cold when temperatures in areas such as Townsville plummet to 15C.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:09   #894

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Friends....you have to understand the Jiad...the struggle...the MMGWC.
It's not enough for THEM to believe it. You are a THREAT to their belief system if you don't agree and MUST be taken out. You see it today on college campuses and anywhere the Intolerant Left is in control. Agree with me or I will (blow you up, silence you, attack you, attempt to discredit you, get you banned, fire you, take away your business and livelihood, et al). This is the new face of fascism who's sacrament is CO2 indulgences in the form of Carbon Credit.
So let me get this straight. They claim that 97-99% of the science confirms all of their beliefs, few of them do much if anything to reduce their own CO2 emissions, wealthy people who have a huge carbon footprint are excused because their excessive lifestyles are "offset" by carbon credits (which are unaffordable to the rest of us), and people like you and Newhaul who actually live a low carbon lifestyle are dismissed because you "aren't doing it for the environment."

Meanwhile, the US is doing more than any other single nation to reduce its CO2 emissions thanks to fracking, there is absolutely nothing we can do to influence the fastest growing polluters, i.e. China & India, and the IPCC says that nothing we do now will make an appreciable difference over the next 100 years.

And yet, in light of all this, anyone who doesn't adhere to the same OPINIONS are stereotyped, labeled, and silenced. This is what goes for "liberal" thinking these days??
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:27   #895
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So let me get this straight. They claim that 97-99% of the science confirms all of their beliefs, few of them do much if anything to reduce their own CO2 emissions, wealthy people who have a huge carbon footprint are excused because their excessive lifestyles are "offset" by carbon credits (which are unaffordable to the rest of us), and people like you and Newhaul who actually live a low carbon lifestyle are dismissed because you "aren't doing it for the environment."

Meanwhile, the US is doing more than any other single nation to reduce its CO2 emissions thanks to fracking, there is absolutely nothing we can do to influence the fastest growing polluters, i.e. China & India, and the IPCC says that nothing we do now will make an appreciable difference over the next 100 years.

And yet, in light of all this, anyone who doesn't adhere to the same OPINIONS are stereotyped, labeled, and silenced. This is what goes for "liberal" thinking these days??
Yep that about hits the nail on the head. And its not liberal its leftist
Old 09-05-2018, 19:31   #896

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I agree that this thread has often gone far off-topic. I have no control over what others say, or don't say. What I meant to say was that I have chosen mostly to post topics regarding the Arctic -- which post #2 was about.

Apparently the moderators agreed that a certain poster's rhetoric went outside the bounds of CF guidelines.

In the particular post that I quoted he was clearly trolling. The sentence I quoted had nothing to do with the rest of his post. He offered no supporting data for his vague assertion. Furthermore, the topic had been argued numerous times before.

What debate am I trying to quash? I just don't want this thread to be shut down, as so many climate-related threads have, as you well know. What I am saying is that if we want to have a full-fledged AGW debate, and if the mods will permit it, I have a lot more to post than what I have been posting.
You're losing the plot, imho. The content and frequency of postings is far less influential than their credibility.

I can't form any conclusions myself from Newhaul's reliance on the sun as a significant influence on climate, but the back and forth that's ensued has been educational and seemingly not worthy of outright dismissal. Besides, if it's really that frivolous then the debate can only strengthen your position, right?

Way back when and in a different thread I had a post deleted and was warned that calling another poster a "troll" was not nice and therefore "outside the bounds of CF guidelines." And I have news for you, this thread has already been a "full-fledged AGW debate" since the inception.
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:34   #897
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's something for y'all to ponder there have been 173 spotless days since September 15th 2017.
With a total of 236 days between then and now that's 73% of the total days spotless kinda explains the colder earth doesn't it
Old 09-05-2018, 19:35   #898
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're losing the plot, imho. The content and frequency of postings is far less influential than their credibility.

I can't form any conclusions myself from Newhaul's reliance on the sun as a significant influence on climate, but the back and forth that's ensued has been educational and seemingly not worthy of outright dismissal. Besides, if it's really that frivolous then the debate can only strengthen your position, right?

Way back when and in a different thread I had a post deleted and was warned that calling another poster a "troll" was not nice and therefore "outside the bounds of CF guidelines." And I have news for you, this thread has already been a "full-fledged AGW debate" since the inception.
read my latest post
Old 09-05-2018, 19:46   #899

Quote:

I didn't make an "outright dismissal" of Newhaul's claim. As far as I'm concerned he is welcome to make any claim he wants -- provided he supplies the appropriate scientific support -- which he clearly didn't. It was just a throw-away line that he added to the end of a post on a different topic. Thus, he was trollling, and I called him on it.
Quote:
Maybe for you and for certain others it is a "full-fledged AGW debate". For me it isn't. I've pulled my punches, so to speak.
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:53   #900
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I didn't make an "outright dismissal" of Newhaul's claim. As far as I'm concerned he is welcome to make any claim he wants -- provided he supplies the appropriate scientific support -- which he clearly didn't. It was just a throw-away line that he added to the end of a post on a different topic. Thus, he was trollling, and I called him on it.

Maybe for you and for certain others it is a "full-fledged AGW debate". For me it isn't. I've pulled my punches, so to speak.
SailOar I just posted the single line this time but I have posted the technical data on El Nino and solar connection several times before in this thread. Sorry I should have posted the links again with my assertion.

Tags
passage