Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 11:13   #871
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is still over 1,000 times more CO2 emitted when the carbon cycle was in balance.
proof please of what is naturally occurring now please

Old 09-05-2018, 11:15   #872
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Btw jack I estimated high to allow for population growth to 10 billion people on the planet.
I have an estimate of 1 ton of co2 per year. Due to my winter usage of diesel and public transit.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:19   #873
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
proof please of what is naturally occurring now please
Huh? I have no idea for what you are asking!
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:31   #874
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Huh? I have no idea for what you are asking!
prove that 1 ton of co2 per person is 1,000 times more co2 emitted than when it was "in balance"
All I asked for was scientific proof of your assertion
Old 09-05-2018, 13:29   #875

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Perhaps . . . maybe . . . might . . . doesn't seem to equate to the level of certainty over the health hazards of tobacco, for e.g., that the advocates of CC like to analogize to. Wait, wasn't that the level of scientific certainty which led to efforts to tax tobacco products out of existence??

If only . . . .
If only it was that innocuous . The reason the Arctic is the star of this particular discussion is because it's presently acting somewhat on par with global warming beliefs. Even though their is plenty of real world observational evidence to suggest air and sea circulation is the prime driver of recent weather extremes, the pro camp won't have a bar of it.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 14:35   #876

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
prove that 1 ton of co2 per person is 1,000 times more co2 emitted than when it was "in balance"
I am presuming what he means is pre-industrial age levels of CO2 before we started treating the atmosphere as a "cesspool." Can't really argue against the use of this descriptor, but it also suggests a reticence to accept the realities of the modern age. Aside from a few, isolated scientists, I would imagine that "godsend" would be more likely the way people thought of fossil fuels up through the 1960's & maybe 70's, and the idea of MMGW or CC may have been out there but wasn't part of the popular lexicon until relatively recent times.

Besides, we just learned of a new study which suggests that the planet may be much more capable of absorbing C02 than previously thought. In fact it appeared again in a link at the bottom of one of SailOar's recent doomsday articles. But oddly enough, no commentary from the advocates . . . .
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 16:15   #877
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In the mid 18th century anthropogenic emissions emissions were 11 million tonnes per annum.

http://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/ftp/nd....1751_2010.ems

You accurately indication the current levels are 10 billion tonnes.

10,000,0000,000 / 11,000,000 = 909 (pretty close to 1,000)

BTW - your asking me to provide science is laughable, as you never provide any.
Old 09-05-2018, 16:31   #878
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In the mid 18th century anthropogenic emissions emissions were 11 million tonnes per annum.

http://cdiac.ess-dive.lbl.gov/ftp/nd....1751_2010.ems

You accurately indication the current levels are 10 billion tonnes.

10,000,0000,000 / 11,000,000 = 909 (pretty close to 1,000)

BTW - your asking me to provide science is laughable, as you never provide any.
I did not ask for anthropogenic emissions what are the natural emissions s you keep avoiding answering that one for many threads covering years on this forum.
Mans contribution to ghg is approximately 0.04% of the total ghg
Btw its all about the sun not man
Old 09-05-2018, 16:56   #879

Quote:
...Besides, we just learned of a new study which suggests that the planet may be much more capable of absorbing C02 than previously thought. In fact it appeared again in a link at the bottom of one of SailOar's recent doomsday articles. But oddly enough, no commentary from the advocates . . . .
Perhaps this is the study you are referring to:

Study reveals potential stability of ocean processes despite climate change | PHYS.org

I am in favor of posting both positive articles as well as negative ones. This particular one I did post in another forum that I participate in. I didn't here because it is pretty far off-topic for the Northwest Passage.

However, like I said a few weeks ago in this post, there is a large mass of scientific data being published that supports the "alarmist" view that the climate changes that are happening are likely to cause a great deal of distress to humanity. If the moderators would permit me to do so I would be happy to start another thread whose topic is explicitly about Climate Change, and post news articles about scientific studies which warn about what is happening, or what may happen.
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 17:00   #880

Quote:
...Btw its all about the sun not man
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 17:49   #881

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You know, before you discount Newhaul's claim that "It's the Sun, stupid" as trolling maybe you opposing guys should think about this for a moment...

It's entirely feasible that whilst sunspot activity may not affect the climate directly, it may have a not insignificant role in the generation of weather. If we focus on the Arctic, for instance, a lot of the on topic discussion has been discussing changes in weather rather than changes in climate. How do we know this? Easy. If we accept that the decline of sea ice in the Arctic has hovered around 3% per decade since the 50's (or so), this is climate changing. Conversely, extra-ordinary events like (satellite era) record breaking reductions in sea ice extent, or air temperatures approaching up to 20 degrees Celsius above average, or polar vortexes et cetera must be weather related.

Now with weather and climate is it the dog wagging the tail, or the tail wagging the dog? In any case, there's little dispute that climate and weather are inter-related. So a question becomes what influences weather? And guess what? Sunspot activity is embedded in the list.

Sunspots Do Really Affect Weather Patterns, Say Scientists - Hit & Run : Reason.com

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-link-s...-revealed.html

https://www.weatherworksinc.com/weather-sunspots

Exactly what influence sunpots have, I don't know, but interestingly it also seems that even the brightest minds studying their influence on weather don't have a complete understanding either. For me personally, I just can't quite "get it" why the Antarctic has shown a long term cooling trend that has had no shortage of studies attempting to explain away, (to the point where they start stepping on each other's toes), during a period where "hottest year ever" is a recurring headline.

So you never know. Sunspots might just have a role to play in this whole shin-dang.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 17:56   #882
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
The earth gets most of its energy from the sun. However, the sun is a not a significant factor in climate change.

I pity the person who fails to see the distinction.
Folks...
When you have to make statements so ludicrous to support your Position, you have Jumped the Shark. It's like Nate Silver stating on Election night 2016 that Hilary has a 95% chance of winning the presidency still having any credibly after the election went to El Trumpo.

Those that would say the Sun is not a significant factor in climate change are so far removed from the reality of real science that the question has to be asked (so I will ask it) are they lost. And by lost I mean, is their Religious Faith such that up is down....black is white and Tacos are Bad?
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:27   #883

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Perhaps this is the study you are referring to:

Study reveals potential stability of ocean processes despite climate change | PHYS.org

I am in favor of posting both positive articles as well as negative ones. This particular one I did post in another forum that I participate in. I didn't here because it is pretty far off-topic for the Northwest Passage.
Oh PLEASE, SailOar. After 59 pages and almost 900 posts, you're suddenly purporting to keep this thread confined to issues concerning the NW Passage?? Need I remind you that your very own Post #1 included a link to a resource for navigating the NW Passage, immediately followed in Post #2 with an alarmist link to the doomsday Scribbler site?? Have we not read again & again how warm Arctic temps & declining sea ice are the 'canary in the coal mine' for MMGW??

So first you threaten to have a poster with contrary views banned, then you label another poster with opposing views a troll, and now you're trying to quash debate on the grounds that it's 'off topic.' If your alarmist sources are so scientifically certain, then it begs the question what exactly you fear from opposing points of view?
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:32   #884
Marine Service Provider

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Oh PLEASE, SailOar. After 59 pages and almost 900 posts, you're suddenly purporting to keep this thread confined to issues concerning the NW Passage?? Need I remind you that your very own Post #1 included a link to a resource for navigating the NW Passage, immediately followed in Post #2 with an alarmist link to the doomsday Scribbler site?? Have we not read again & again how warm Arctic temps & declining sea ice are the 'canary in the coal mine' for MMGW??

So first you threaten to have a poster with contrary views banned, then you label another poster with opposing views a troll, and now you're trying to quash debate on the grounds that it's 'off topic.' If your alarmist sources are so scientifically certain, then it begs the question what exactly you fear from opposing points of view?
Friends....you have to understand the Jiad...the struggle...the MMGWC.
It's not enough for THEM to believe it. You are a THREAT to their belief system if you don't agree and MUST be taken out. You see it today on college campuses and anywhere the Intolerant Left is in control. Agree with me or I will (blow you up, silence you, attack you, attempt to discredit you, get you banned, fire you, take away your business and livelihood, et al). This is the new face of fascism who's sacrament is CO2 indulgences in the form of Carbon Credit.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:45   #885
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did not ask for anthropogenic emissions what are the natural emissions s you keep avoiding answering that one for many threads covering years on this forum.
Mans contribution to ghg is approximately 0.04% of the total ghg
Btw its all about the sun not man

The net accumulation has increased CO2 levels from 287 to 410 ppm over the past 2.5 centuries, a 43% increase which, using carbon isotope analysis, can be directly attributed to the burning of fossil fuels.

It ain't the sun - science says so.

Tags
passage

« Northwest Passage | - »