Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 07:23   #661
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
PDF copies of a version of the accepted manuscript for the paper and its Supporting Information, along with an article giving information about the paper and its findings, is available on Nicholas Lewisís personal web-site,

https://www.nicholaslewis.org/peer-r...sitivity-2018/
thanks for that link Stu

Old 25-04-2018, 07:31   #662
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
For those interested in the article written by Nicholas Lewis and Judith Curry, the abstract may be read here. The full article appears to be behind a paywall.

If Lewis' and Curry's analysis holds up, it could be good news.
their analysis will be even better news than they think considering that they used CMIP5 for their analysis which has now been superseded by cmip6

Old 25-04-2018, 08:45   #663

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Federal Trade Commission has investigated at least one predatory publisher.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...blisher-OMICS/

OMICS journals are a favourite of the folks at notrickszone.
Looks like good old fashioned fraud and deceptive trade practices that the FTC is appropriately investigating. I hope punitive action is taken if the misconduct can be proven. In the meantime, the court's issuance of a preliminary injunction is an early victory.

The problem is that it appears as though not all of these publishers are so nefarious, and some even provide opportunities for what some would consider scholarly works that otherwise may not have access to publication. In those circumstances, transparency for the work itself has traditionally been considered the best disinfectant since it can be openly critiqued. Labeling, blacklisting, defaming . . . casts too wide a net so comes at the risk of quelling honest and open debate. But then some will go to great lengths to prevent opinions they don't like from seeing the light of day.

Your own response to Newhaul's article and data is a perfect example. Rather than responding to the merits (or did you??), you tried to discredit the source because it appeared in a publication that one person has labeled "predatory," presumably hoping that the "taint" of the publisher would necessarily discredit the article and its data. For all I know the work could be bogus or valid, but that should be revealed on the merits and not on mere supposition. Surely you know 20th century history well enough to understand how these sorts of tactics can just as easily be turned around and used to repress opinions and research that others happen to fear or loathe. I would hope that traditional peer-review processes could come up with a more responsible mechanism for dealing with these types of practices.
Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:55   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
peter this is an unacceptable personal attack
I go after jack all the time but I do it within the general context of where ever the thread drifts at the time .
Agreed. Jack's or any other poster's personal practices don't have a whole lot of bearing on the issues being discussed, although it is rather discrediting when wealthy celebs with excessive "carbon footprints" jet around preaching the "cause." I know, I know . . . their payments of "carbon credits" absolve them. But then that just feeds the old quip about "all the liberalism one can afford."

Then again, there is a certain irony of Newhaul and Third Day probably having one of the smallest "carbon footprints" of anyone else who's posting. Do as I say and not as I do??
Old 25-04-2018, 08:59   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
April 2018 Puzzler | NASA

Every month on Earth Matters, we offer a puzzling satellite or aerial image of Earth. The April 2018 puzzler is above. Your challenge is to use the comments section to tell us what we are looking at and why this place is interesting.

Answer: The image above shows curious holes in Arctic sea ice, located about 50 miles northwest of Canadaís Mackenzie River Delta. Guesses from readers included everything from ice broken by marine animals to breathe to ice that had been thawed by methane hydrates. Itís a challenge to know the source of the features based on a photograph or satellite image alone, but several scientists offered their hypotheses in our April 21 Image of the Day.
Well, one of the scientists mentioned "thin ice." I assume that means there will be an article coming soon that attributes it to MMGW.
Old 25-04-2018, 09:09   #666
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Agreed. Jack's or any other poster's personal practices don't have a whole lot of bearing on the issues being discussed, although it is rather discrediting when wealthy celebs with excessive "carbon footprints" jet around preaching the "cause." I know, I know . . . their payments of "carbon credits" absolve them. But then that just feeds the old quip about "all the liberalism one can afford."

Then again, there is a certain irony of Newhaul and Third Day probably having one of the smallest "carbon footprints" of anyone else who's posting. Do as I say and not as I do??
I personally don't know my carbon footprint and don't feel a need to actually calculate it .
I probably use about 10 to 15 gallons of diesel a year I use about 5 gallons of propane . I am electrically independent with solar and wind.
I only use my feet ,bicycle or public transport.
I don't do any of this for reduction of carbon footprint . I'm totally self serving in that I do these things because I'm a cheapskate.
Old 25-04-2018, 09:32   #667

Quote:
I personally don't know my carbon footprint and don't feel a need to actually calculate it .
I probably use about 10 to 15 gallons of diesel a year I use about 5 gallons of propane . I am electrically independent with solar and wind.
I don't do any of this for reduction of carbon footprint . I'm totally self serving in that I do these things because I'm a cheapskate.
Ha, yes! But the planet appreciates it, no matter the motivation!
Old 25-04-2018, 09:39   #668
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are proof positive that a low carbon footprint is economically viable.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 10:43   #669
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just came across a great for viewing Arctic sea ice conditions extent, thickness and speed/drift.

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/GLBh...12/arctic.html

Here is September 15 2017 extent - just about the minimum last year.

here is the March 17 ice thickness -
Old 25-04-2018, 10:47   #670
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You are proof positive that a low carbon footprint is economically viable.
yes jack in a small scale but god knows how much co2 I helped feed plants with while I drove for a living ( my trucks averaged around 7 to 8 miles per gallon) truth be told I don't care .
If they really wanted to reduce co2 emissions they could stop adding ethanol to gasoline.
A gallon of pure gasoline produces approx 20 lbs of co2. But one with 10% ethanol produces 23 lbs. ( alcohol is for drinking not burning as fuel. )
Old 25-04-2018, 13:25   #671

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
yes jack in a small scale but god knows how much co2 I helped feed plants with while I drove for a living ( my trucks averaged around 7 to 8 miles per gallon) truth be told I don't care .
If they really wanted to reduce co2 emissions they could stop adding ethanol to gasoline.
A gallon of pure gasoline produces approx 20 lbs of co2. But one with 10% ethanol produces 23 lbs. ( alcohol is for drinking not burning as fuel. )
The thing with using ethanol is the co2 it releases was only recently extracted from the atmosphere and is just being returned so net C02 contribution is zero.

But....
The energy used to manufacture the ethanol (that hasn't been derived from burning the plant waste) contributes additional C02. whether this is more or less than the manufacturing energy used to produce the equivalent energy content of fossil fuel, I don't know.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:20   #672
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The thing with using ethanol is the co2 it releases was only recently extracted from the atmosphere and is just being returned so net C02 contribution is zero.

But....
The energy used to manufacture the ethanol (that hasn't been derived from burning the plant waste) contributes additional C02. whether this is more or less than the manufacturing energy used to produce the equivalent energy content of fossil fuel, I don't know.
most distillation plants use more energy than the ethanol produced does. Many operate on natural gas . So overall a net energy loss.
Next if the corn wasn't made into alcohol the carbon it sequester would not be immediately released into the atmosphere ( think animal feed. ) then poo which sequester a lot of carbon. ( yes people are animals to)
Old 25-04-2018, 15:23   #673
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some humour to brighten everyone's day.

Old 26-04-2018, 04:49   #674

A couple of lectures by David Thoreson about the Northwest Passage in general, and his 1994 transit aboard Cloud Nine.

SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 19:31   #675
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Melting Arctic sends a message: Climate change is here in a big way

Tags
passage