Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-04-2018, 21:27   #601

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Lomborg has a whole web site devoted to his errors.

Lomborg Errors
Yes, by a disgruntled biologist after complaints against Lomberg's opinions were, in turn, validated, tossed out, resurrected, rebutted, critiqued, but apparently never quite "debunked." There was even "[a] group of scientists, Arthur Rörsch, Thomas Frello, Ray Soper and Adriaan De Lange [who] published an article in 2005 in the Journal of Information Ethics,</ref>[48] in which they concluded that most criticism against Lomborg was unjustified, and that the scientific community misused their authority to suppress Lomborg."

Misuse of authority and suppression of ideas?? Say it ain't so!

Talk about cherry picking. If nothing else just read the guy's wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjørn_Lomborg

Exile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:28   #602
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
"Debunked"?? You mean critiqued, right? So articles which may support Cristy's work would necessarily "debunk" the articles cited above? How about articles from credentialed, respected climate scientists which criticize some aspect of the mainstream science? We commonly see this when it comes to trying to explain the high variability of Arctic sea ice. Is this mainstream science then "debunked" too?

It sounds like what you're really trying to say is that you disagree and therefore disapprove of a certain scientific opinion or theory. But then you're not a professional climate scientist, are you? Probably for the best since derision, disrespect, and conclusory statements devoid of analysis are not conducive to rigorous and objective scientific review.
Real Climate is written by real climate scientists.

try this one.

https://thinkprogress.org/quoting-jo...-414c7bc89cac/

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:32   #603
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
no sun no life so yes it has everything to do with everything on this planet co2 is almost a non starter but whatever helps you sleep at night jack .
Btw I still stand by my prediction for the temperature for 2018 annual .
The sun does provide the earth with the vast majority of its energy, it just plays an insignificant role in climate change.

I am holding you to that prediction. We are about to ENSO neutral.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:45   #604

Quote:
Real Climate is written by real climate scientists.

try this one.

https://thinkprogress.org/quoting-jo...-414c7bc89cac/
So Christy is not a "real" climate scientist? I don't understand what you're trying to get across here. And why on earth are you citing the thinkprogress.org article? Sounds like a hyper-politicized hit piece on Christy worthy of a late night TV comedian, not someone trained or even knowledgeable about climate science. Comparing Christy to Dick Cheney, and accusing the NYT of being darlings of the Bush/Cheney administration? How far along on the leftist "progressive" scale are you Jack?
Old 23-04-2018, 21:48   #605
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Here comes the Calvary fresh off of MMGW slaying in the hot bed of the Cult in San Francisco at the Sail and Pacific Boat Show....where to start....
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:59   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well then, let me introduce you to the CC world of spectacular failure....

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/...e-predictions/
You'd think that, rather than simply citing all the events that were accurately predicted but ignoring the ones that turned out wrong, there'd be an effort to "debunk" some of the failure list's greatest hits. But that would turn into honest and maybe even effective debate, where reasonable minds can differ and all that. Instead this is getting rather comical.
Old 23-04-2018, 22:03   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Here comes the Calvary fresh off of MMGW slaying in the hot bed of the Cult in San Francisco at the Sail and Pacific Boat Show....where to start....
You have your choice of starting at the beginning, the middle, or the end, since it probably doesn't matter. It's actually worse than I thought. Rather than politics driving the presentation of the "science," it's more about using the "science" to drive the politics! I can't see it going anywhere but downhill for the climate scientists themselves and their chosen field.
Old 24-04-2018, 06:25   #608

A two-part documentary about The Search For The Northwest Passage

SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 06:39   #609
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
The sun does provide the earth with the vast majority of its energy, it just plays an insignificant role in climate change.

I am holding you to that prediction. We are about to ENSO neutral.
I don't recall did I post links to the scientific papers concerning the suns primary role in El Nino and LA Nina events? ( in this thread) I know I posted it just don't recall what thread)
if not let me know .
Old 24-04-2018, 06:45   #610

Quote:
But there is plenty of data prior to the industrial revolution and highly sophisticated ways of presenting it now in the form of animation and simulated photography. But that would mean a more balanced presentation that would defeat your efforts to sway people through alarmism & doomsday scenarios. I think you need a more credible approach, Vivaldi notwithstanding.
Not sure why your tail is so tied in a knot. No one is stopping you from creating all the presentations you want using "animation and simulated photography." I, for one, would appreciate your doing so. I think it would demonstrate what Earthtime also showed -- which is that we humans clearly have the ability to adversely alter our environment, and that too often we humans value short-term gain over long-term consequences.
Old 24-04-2018, 06:47   #611
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
I can't see it going anywhere but downhill for the climate scientists themselves and their chosen field.
I actually feel a bit sorry for the MMGW believers because as data, facts and reality disprove their religious beliefs I worry that they will blame "Science" for leading them astray. As a Scientist myself that is what I worry about when I see "Science" used to push an agenda regardless of the Facts behind it. The MMGWC is so sold on the Doom that they have to minimize, ignore, and excuse away (and even Fake) the data. The Scientists KNOW what they are doing is wrong, but they are so down the road now in the Hoax, they can't give it up or their Government Funded grant money will Melt faster than the April Snows they told us would be OVER due to warming temps.

The Good news in this all is that they will go back to funny things like Bran Muffins, Alar and telling us Margarine is better than butter. Those "Science" pushes are now laughed at....just like MMGW will be. It will just take longer and cost Billions...which isn't quite a laughing matter.
La Paz Cruisers Supply and Yacht Management
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 07:05   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ha ha ha....the Sun Provides ALL of the energy, not just the Vast Majority.
BUT...Viola...the source of ALL of the Earths energy "plays an insignificant role" in warming the planet, we are asked to believe.

Folks...that is so absurd on it's face that it shows what we are dealing with here and exactly why I call this MMGW Hoax a Cult. To be able to type such nonsense and hit the Submit button tells you all you need to know. Which is the only thing that matters is the Cause...the Belief...facts and Science has no role today in the modern MMGW movement....or as we have been told...plays an insignificant role....hahaha
You are mistaken. Not only are you mistaken, but instead of just stating your understanding of physical processes, you go to extreme lengths to vilify the people you disagree with. I've flagged your posts, and have asked the moderators to ban you from further participation in this thread.

Earth's internal heat budget

Quote:
Earth's internal heat budget is fundamental to the thermal history of the Earth. The flow of heat from Earth's interior to the surface is estimated at 47 terawatts (TW)[1] and comes from two main sources in roughly equal amounts: the radiogenic heat produced by the radioactive decay of isotopes in the mantle and crust, and the primordial heat left over from the formation of the Earth.[2]

Earth's internal heat powers most geological processes[3] and drives plate tectonics.[2] Despite its geological significance, this heat energy coming from Earth's interior is actually only 0.03% of Earth's total energy budget at the surface, which is dominated by 173,000 TW of incoming solar radiation.[4] The insolation that eventually, after reflection, reaches the surface penetrates only several tens of centimeters on the daily cycle and only several tens of meters on the annual cycle. This renders solar radiation irrelevant for internal processes.[5]
Old 24-04-2018, 07:17   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You are mistaken. Not only are you mistaken, but instead of just stating your understanding of physical processes, you go to extreme lengths to vilify the people you disagree with. I've flagged your posts, and have asked the moderators to ban you from further participation in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%...al_heat_budget
C'mon SailOar. There's plenty of "vilification" of people who's opinions we don't like from all sides, whether CF members, journalists, or actual climate scientists themselves. The comments are not directed towards you personally but rather the side of the much larger debate that you and others have been trying to represent. The best remedy is always more speech, for example this little sub-debate that's developing about the source of the earth's energy.

Speaking of, I'm already curious about this part of your quoted response to Third Day which happens to go to the merits of the scientific issue (for a change):

"Despite its geological significance, this heat energy coming from Earth's interior is actually only 0.03% of Earth's total energy budget at the surface, which is dominated by 173,000 TW of incoming solar radiation."
Old 24-04-2018, 07:20   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Solar has everything to do with all climate change that is happening on this planet.
Warming or cooling disprove me.
You can't.
Newhaul,
You are consistently missing that that we are talking about climate CHANGE, not just climate. Because the sun's output is very constant, the sun does not create climate CHANGE. Other processes are responsible for the CHANGE, including the Milankovitch Cycle and CHANGES in Greenhouse Gas concentrations.
Old 24-04-2018, 07:24   #615

Quote:
C'mon SailOar. There's plenty of "vilification" of people who's opinions we don't like from all sides, whether CF members, journalists, or actual climate scientists themselves. The comments are not directed towards you personally but rather the side of the much larger debate that you and others have been trying to represent. The best remedy is always more speech, for example this little sub-debate that's developing about the source of the earth's energy.
Yes, we are not always as civil towards each other as we should be, and I apologize for however I've contributed to incivility. But I've noticed on many climate-related threads that as soon as SV THIRD DAY enters the conversation the level of discourse makes a very sharp downwards turn.

Tags
passage

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: