Old 23-02-2018, 15:52   #46
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Why would you think this statement

"If this heat were instantly transferred to the lower 10 km of the global atmosphere it would result in a volume mean warming of this atmospheric layer by approximately 36C (65F)"

means '36C = 65F'?

I'm self-taught on this stuff and may be wrong here (so I hope I'll be corrected by someone who knows better), but as the comparison of F/C is not linear, I think the point is that, in the temperature range around liquid water, 36C is about equal to moving the F temp about 65 clicks (for lack of a better word).

For instance in the chart below, looking at the Celsius side, from 0 - 35 equals 32F - 95F, or 63 degrees F (95 -32 = 63).

If you go from the Fahrenheit side, starting at (since they don't have zero) about halfway between 5 and -4 F (-17.5C), and moving closest to 65F that they have, 68, (20C), we find that the equivalent is range is 37.5 C (17.5 + 20 = 37.5).

That's the best I can do...

Jim read your chart 35℃ is equal to 95℉ I fail to see where you are coming from with your attempt to explain how it is anything different the facts speak for themselves.
If you raise the temperature by 36℃ you are raising it by 96.8℉

Old 23-02-2018, 17:14   #47

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jim read your chart 35℃ is equal to 95℉ I fail to see where you are coming from with your attempt to explain how it is anything different the facts speak for themselves.
Ok then, the temp with without the oceans would be 152F instead of 121...

Maybe this will help ya'll understand...

the facts (and figures) do indeed speak for themselves...if one's listening.

They're not saying that 36C is the same temperature as 65F, but that the amount of energy represented by the two is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f.gif
Views:	47
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	164708  

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 17:34   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
These experts appear to think 36C = 65F.
They are correct.

They are talking about changes in temperature, not absolute temperature.

Since 1C or 1K = 9/5F, A change of 36C or 36K is 65F
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 17:43   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sigh!

Absolute temperature is NOT the same as change in termperature. They have different "0" points as well as different sized units.

If you go from 0C to 36C (or 273K to 305K), you go from 32F to 97F that's a change of 36C (or Kelvin) and 65F
Old 23-02-2018, 17:51   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

They're not saying that 36C is the same temperature as 65F, but that the amount of energy change in temperature represented by the two is the same.
Fixed it for yah!

Amount of energy is measured in Joules, not degrees.

"Temperature of" and "amount of energy (aka "heat") in" a system are only VERY loosely related.

I can raise the termperature of a cup of water by 75C with a much smaller "amount of energy" than I need to raise the temperature of a gallon of water by the same amount.
Old 23-02-2018, 17:59   #51

Quote:
Double sigh!

It's so easy to be "confused or feel mislead" when you are a "casual reader".
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 18:01   #52
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Fixed it for yah!

"Temperature of" and "amount of energy (aka "heat") in" a system are only VERY loosely related.

I can raise the termperature of a cup of water by 75C with a much smaller "amount of energy" than I need to raise the temperature of a gallon of water by the same amount.
that makes it understandable they are talking about change in temp/ joules of energy.
Now it makes sense .
I still disagree with them about the oceans warming .
Old 23-02-2018, 18:39   #53

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC
Heavy icebreaker operating stern first? That's a new one to me. Icebreakers operate by heading into the ice and sliding the forward section of the vessel over the ice, breaking it. Stern first? How would the rudder and prop(s) sur
powered via azipods.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod
Eduard Toll, Teekay's First Icebreaker LNG Carrier Newbuilding, is Delivered - Teekay
here are some shots of her in Ruddock.
Launch of Teekay's First Icebreaker LNG Carrier - Teekay

Although the ship manufacturer's page you referenced does indeed say "breaking ice 1.8 metres thick at speeds of five knots astern", the timelapse YouTube video appears to me to show the Eduard Toll motoring in a forwards direction. I wonder if something was lost in translation?

SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 18:57   #54
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Although the ship manufacturer's page you referenced does indeed say "breaking ice 1.8 metres thick at speeds of five knots astern", the timelapse YouTube video appears to me to show the Eduard Toll motoring in a forwards direction. I wonder if something was lost in translation?

that is likely the case seeing how the bow is shaped it would ride up quite well on to the ice. I however seeing how she is shaped doubt a meer 1.8 meters more likely a working thickness of 2.5 or so she is a heavy vessel with a rather flat cross section for at least a third of her waterline length.
Old 23-02-2018, 21:37   #55

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:

They're not saying that 36C is the same temperature as 65F, but that the amount of energy represented by the two is the same.
Just needed to say an approximate C -> F conversion is (C/5)*9=F for relative conversion and (C/5)*9+32=F for absolute conversion.
Quote:
Ok, that was easily figured out. But is the 36C relative difference comparing a 1955 world with oceans to a 2000 something world without oceans? Because if it is, then that's some serious scientific drama queening.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 00:46   #56
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailoar here is an interesting vid I stumbled on about the rose ice shelf from national geographic.
https://youtu.be/fyjt5zpNAeg
I know its Antarctic not arctic but I thought you would like the information just the same.
Old 24-02-2018, 01:18   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just needed to say an approximate C -> F conversion is (C/5)*9=F for relative conversion and (C/5)*9+32=F for absolute conversion.
Not approximate. It's exactly 5:9 with a 32F offset
Old 24-02-2018, 02:11   #58

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Some pretty breathtaking incongruence between this statement

Quote:
and the first part of this one

Quote:

Ok, that was easily figured out. But is the 36C relative difference comparing a 1955 world with oceans to a 2000 something world without oceans? Because if it is, then that's some serious scientific drama queening.
but if Stu's mathematical explanation gets the message across, wonderful...though the original 'casting of aspersions' on the 'experts' seemed to indicate a certain, uhhh --uneasiness-- with their mathematical concepts.

As for 'drama queening', the statement

"We have estimated an increase of 24 1022 J representing a volume mean warming of 0.09C of the 0–2000 m layer of the World Ocean. If this heat were instantly transferred to the lower 10 km of the global atmosphere it would result in a volume mean warming of this atmospheric layer by approximately 36C (65F). This transfer of course will not happen; earth's climate system simply does not work like this. But this computation does provide a perspective on the amount of heating that the earth system has undergone since 1955."

is meant to illustrate the difference in heating water and heating air, probably primarily directed at those who might assume that '0.09C of the 0–2000 m layer' was insignificant; a trifling amount. As the statement itself says, its' purpose is illustrative only; meant to help understand a thing difficult to envision based on ordinary experience.

Quote:
Fixed it for yah!

Thanks.

You are certainly correct, the 'amount of energy' required to change the temperature of different amounts of matter is different.

We are however, not talking about (relatively speaking) different 'amounts
of matter', but the worlds' ocean, which, for simplicity's sake, is taken as a constant, fixed volume.

My unfortunate wording was meant to keep an apparently slightly confusing concept simple...after all, if x volume is at a given temp, and the temp changes by a certain amount, anything we call it, be it stus or jims or r/ms or n/hs or s/os or jewels or degrees f or c, is just a proxy representing 'Y' temperature change; an addition or loss of 'energy'...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 05:00   #59

Quote:
Some pretty breathtaking incongruence between this statement

and the first part of this one

but if Stu's mathematical explanation gets the message across, wonderful...though the original 'casting of aspersions' on the 'experts' seemed to indicate a certain, uhhh --uneasiness-- with their mathematical concepts.

As for 'drama queening', the statement

"We have estimated an increase of 24 1022 J representing a volume mean warming of 0.09C of the 02000 m layer of the World Ocean. If this heat were instantly transferred to the lower 10 km of the global atmosphere it would result in a volume mean warming of this atmospheric layer by approximately 36C (65F). This transfer of course will not happen; earth's climate system simply does not work like this. But this computation does provide a perspective on the amount of heating that the earth system has undergone since 1955."

is meant to illustrate the difference in heating water and heating air, probably primarily directed at those who might assume that '0.09C of the 02000 m layer' was insignificant; a trifling amount. As the statement itself says, its' purpose is illustrative only; meant to help understand a thing difficult to envision based on ordinary experience.

Thanks.

You are certainly correct, the 'amount of energy' required to change the temperature of different amounts of matter is different.

We are however, not talking about (relatively speaking) different 'amounts
of matter', but the worlds' ocean, which, for simplicity's sake, is taken as a constant, fixed volume.

My unfortunate wording was meant to keep an apparently slightly confusing concept simple...after all, if x volume is at a given temp, and the temp changes by a certain amount, anything we call it, be it stus or jims or r/ms or n/hs or s/os or jewels or degrees f or c, is just a proxy representing 'Y' temperature change; an addition or loss of 'energy'...
I'm guessing Skeptical science's "Hiroshima bomb-ometer" must really rock your socks.
Old 24-02-2018, 05:56   #60

Quote:
Not approximate. It's exactly 5:9 with a 32F offset
Too be pedantic; 5/9 has an infinitely recurring decimal value of 5, therefore it's not possible to perform an "exact" conversion. Just as it is not possible to get an exact value of PI.

Tags
passage

« Northwest Passage | - »