Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2018, 21:02   #391
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Be sure to let us all know when they've figured it out then.
Nope. I think they will just pass you by.

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 21:11   #392
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Jack isn't it time to shovel the snow off your sidewalk again.
Its called global cooling .

Old 12-04-2018, 23:24   #393

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nope. I think they will just pass you by.
I won't need to be told anyhoo I should think. When things start looking like a real life Flintstones episode, I'll connect the dots.

Or are we heading to a brave new world powered and fed by unicorns and rainbows?
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 00:57   #394

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
I suspect in your reality that humankind's use of fossil fuels and other processes, for example, cement manufacturing are entirely discretionary.
dis·cre·tion
dəˈskreSH(ə)n/
noun

the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.

How on earth would they not be?

Or do you think the last 1500 years constitute the the entirety of human existence?

Clearly, your reality mirrors not that of the falsely accused lemmings, but that of the accurately and oft-described behavior of organisms destroyed, or soon to be destroyed, or in the act of destroying themselves, by the waste of their own suicidal activities.

The only difference is the non-sentient nobility of those organisms bent on fulfilling the basic drive to endure, as compared to the ignobleness of (supposedly) sentient organisms desire to ensure their individual, self-perceived (imagined?) best interest, oblivious and (to their delusionary minds) impervious, apparently, to the self-preservational efforts (intentional or not) of the millions of those that preceded them.

17,000 BP

30,000 BP

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 01:25   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack isn't it time to shovel the snow off your sidewalk again.
Its called global cooling .
Uh no, it's called early spring weather at 49N...and yet another verification of AGW theory's prediction of increased precipitation as a result of warmer air's ability to hold more water vapor...

Still no argument supporting your 'pressure causes temperature' hypothesis/assertion???
Old 13-04-2018, 01:45   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
dis·cre·tion
dəˈskreSH(ə)n/
noun

the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.

How on earth would they not be?

Or do you think the last 1500 years constitute the the entirety of human existence?

Clearly, your reality mirrors not that of the falsely accused lemmings, but that of the accurately and oft-described behavior of organisms destroyed, or soon to be destroyed, or in the act of destroying themselves, by the waste of their own suicidal activities.

The only difference is the non-sentient nobility of those organisms bent on fulfilling the basic drive to endure, as compared to the ignobleness of (supposedly) sentient organisms desire to ensure their individual, self-perceived (imagined?) best interest, oblivious and (to their delusionary minds) impervious, apparently, to the self-preservational efforts (intentional or not) of the millions of those that preceded them.

17,000 BP

30,000 BP

Ah, I see you live in Jacko's reality also. How are the unicorns and rainbows over there?

It may escape you to know that you can't participate in your Google-Fu for the purpose of projecting your faux intellectualism without, umm, spewing extraneous CO2 into the air at some phase of the process. So in the real reality, you're part of the problem.

But nice cave art bro
Old 13-04-2018, 02:49   #397

Quote:
Ah, I see you live in Jacko's reality also. How are the unicorns and rainbows over there?

It may escape you to know that you can't participate in your Google-Fu for the purpose of projecting your faux intellectualism without, umm, spewing extraneous CO2 into the air at some phase of the process. So in the real reality, you're part of the problem.

But nice cave art bro
Sooo, now there is a problem? Or are you just humoring me, which, if so, to us pseudo-intellectuals would say that you've lost the argument in a rather spectacular (though possibly unseen-to-real-intellectuals) way...

What you real intellectuals appear unable to grasp is the supposed dichotomy of, say, my ability to derive satisfaction earlier today of finally coaxing back to life half of a dual 502 Crusader installation (with the other half soon to follow), with full knowledge that doing so will contribute to the load already placed on the planet by human's disregard for themselves and their environment.

In my opinion, the problem with you real intellectuals is that you seem mired in the idea that change is something other than the norm; pretty much the defining characteristic of a member of an apprehensive elite class...

5th Avenue, Easter, New York City, circa 1900

Oh, and by the way, though I don't vote, I counseled friends and acquaintances to vote for the Trumpster...let's get this party started...<1 x 10e8 2100!!! (hate to think what that's gonna do to corporate profits...)
Old 13-04-2018, 05:26   #398
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Uh no, it's called early spring weather at 49N...and yet another verification of AGW theory's prediction of increased precipitation as a result of warmer air's ability to hold more water vapor...

Still no argument supporting your 'pressure causes temperature' hypothesis/assertion???
its looking like the opposite of what your leader Al gore said ( our children won't even remember what snow is)
its more like they won't remember what bare ground looks like.

not my job . Its jacks job to prove me wrong..
Old 13-04-2018, 05:59   #399

Quote:
Sooo, now there is a problem? Or are you just humoring me, which, if so, to us pseudo-intellectuals would say that you've lost the argument in a rather spectacular (though possibly unseen-to-real-intellectuals) way...

What you real intellectuals appear unable to grasp is the supposed dichotomy of, say, my ability to derive satisfaction earlier today of finally coaxing back to life half of a dual 502 Crusader installation (with the other half soon to follow), with full knowledge that doing so will contribute to the load already placed on the planet by human's disregard for themselves and their environment.

In my opinion, the problem with you real intellectuals is that you seem mired in the idea that change is something other than the norm; pretty much the defining characteristic of a member of an apprehensive elite class...

Oh, and by the way, though I don't vote, I counseled friends and acquaintances to vote for the Trumpster...let's get this party started...<1 x 10e8 2100!!! (hate to think what that's gonna do to corporate profits...)
I think you have misunderstood me jimbo. I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm just stating facts. Do feel free to provide a valid argument - sans circa 1900 photos and stories of how your day went - that demonstrate it's possible to "rapidly stop global warming", however.
Old 13-04-2018, 07:04   #400
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

New York the day after Easter 2018. ( April 2 2018)

https://www.google.com/search?client...X6eC_iFHAeW9M:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940985278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	168040  
Old 13-04-2018, 12:29   #401
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
its looking like the opposite of what your leader Al gore said ( our children won't even remember what snow is)
its more like they won't remember what bare ground looks like.

not my job . Its jacks job to prove me wrong..
I did prove you wrong.

There no correlation between sunspots and temperature.
Old 13-04-2018, 13:07   #402
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did prove you wrong.

There no correlation between sunspots and temperature.
you just proved you can't follow directions very well
( especially if the result won't fit your narrative)

i provided the sunspot days count for you to use and you instead used total sunspot numbers which are not the same data sets. Try again jacko
Old 13-04-2018, 13:43   #403
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
you just proved you can't follow directions very well
( especially if the result won't fit your narrative)

i provided the sunspot days count for you to use and you instead used total sunspot numbers which are not the same data sets. Try again jacko

Please provide a link to the sunspot days and I will do so. You must know where that is, otherwise your assertion is baseless.

Meanwhile

Quote:
The Sunspot Number, the longest scientific experiment still ongoing, is a crucial tool used to study the solar dynamo, space weather and climate change. It has now been recalibrated and shows a consistent history of solar activity over the past few centuries.
The new record has no significant long-term upward trend in solar activity since 1700, as was previously indicated. This suggests that rising global temperatures since the industrial revolution cannot be attributed to increased solar activity.
https://astronomynow.com/2015/08/08/...-solar-trends/
Old 13-04-2018, 14:32   #404
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Please provide a link to the sunspot days and I will do so. You must know where that is, otherwise your assertion is baseless.

Meanwhile

https://astronomynow.com/2015/08/08/...-solar-trends/
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
Here is the data just a day newer.
As I posted before

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 0 days
2018 total: 63 days (61%)
2017 total: 104 days (28%)
2016 total: 32 days (9%)
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)
Updated 13 Apr 2018
Old 13-04-2018, 14:33   #405

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Good to see the familiar cast of characters at it again, although a couple of you might benefit from changing your presentations a bit. They are getting all too predictable, albeit still somewhat entertaining.

Just to mix things up a bit, perhaps a tack back to the science surrounding the ability of the planet to absorb CO2 might be worthwhile at this point. I found it so in previous threads anyway.

Here's a piece that asserts that nitrogen has been underestimated by mainstream science, and more recent discoveries have confirmed that it does not just exist in the air as previously assumed, but that plants can tap into quantities that exist in the soil and even bedrock. If true, this could explain why the many predicted doomsday scenarios have yet to occur, and why the planet seems more resistant to increasing CO2 levels than previously thought.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...itrogen-rocks/

Now in a probably futile effort to save pages of mindless debate, IBD is unashamedly biased when it comes to its views on CC, exaggerates the titles of its articles & section headings, but imo appropriately sources its factual assertions and generally makes it clear when its merely advancing its own opinion. More than I can say for SailOar's countless blue-typed article headings which he apparently believes are so convincing to anyone other than himself.

In this case there's no need to attack IBD or its biases since the findings being discussed were published in respected (I think) scientific journals. I am not familiar with the scientists who published the research, but it wouldn't surprise me if Jack told us they were getting paid off by "Big Oil." Oh, and there is a quote from the ClimateDepot guy but I'm confident we can all work through it.

So my questions are:

1. Do the scientists, pseudo-scientists, intellectuals & pseudo-intellectuals who frequent these threads find these discoveries re: new sources of nitrogen & thus plant growth compelling, nonsensical, or merely inconsequential?

2. Will anyone dare admit that one of the largest contributors to the reduction of CO2 over the past 10 years has been the US fracking industry? (approx. equal to all the expensive "green" efforts of the entire EU combined). Do a quick google search guys, and post those charts & graphs!

3. Will anyone get off their unicorns long enough to answer Reef's question how we can rapidly eliminate MMGW? Other than the significant contributions from the fracking industry that is, and its production of cheap, cleaner burning natural gas. (see #2 above). You see, without such solutions and a degree of pragmatism, the advocates of the CC agenda risk having their cause relegated to . . . well . . . the outer reaches of an enthusiast sailing forum with a pretty limited following. Just sayin' . . . .

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage

« Northwest Passage | - »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: