Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 10:00   #331
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack we are cooling .
I really don't see where you get 40% from from what is a mere 3% of a .0409% total in the atmosphere. I.e. 12.27 ppm
9 of the 10 warmest years in the instrumental record have occurred since 2002:
1. 2016
2. 2015
3. 2017
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2015
7. 2013
8. 2009
9. 1998
10. 2007

It is warming, not cooling. shown by the data from Spencer and Christy at UAH.





Some math for you.

CO2 - 1750 280 ppm

CO2 - 2018 408.35 ppm

(408.35 - 280) / 280 = 45.8% Using carbon isotope analysis, that increase is totally due to the burnong of fossil fuels.

From evidence from Lake El’gygytgyn the last time atmospheric CO2 was at 400 parts per million was during the ancient Pliocene Era, three to five million years ago.

- Global average temperatures were 3 to 4 degrees C warmer than today (5.4 to 7.2 degrees F).
- Polar temperatures were as much as 10 degrees C warmer than today (18 degrees F).
- The Arctic was ice free.
- Sea level was between five and 40 meters higher (16 to 130 feet) than today.
- Coral reefs suffered mass die-offs.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:28   #332
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

A link to the missing graph
http://www.woodfortrees.org/graph/ua...2002/to:2018.3
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:33   #333
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
9 of the 10 warmest years in the instrumental record have occurred since 2002:
1. 2016
2. 2015
3. 2017
4. 2014
5. 2010
6. 2015
7. 2013
8. 2009
9. 1998
10. 2007

It is warming, not cooling. shown by the data from Spencer and Christy at UAH.
.
Jack check your typing how can 2015 be the second warmest and the 6th warmest.
Funny that your list when corrected as I noted
It follows the sunspot numbers .
Bet this year will be even cooler than last year ( I actually expect it to be somewhere between 2010 and 2009 temperature wise.) this is by sunspot numbers to date and extrapolated to the end of the year. ( to date 60% spotless days. )
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:02   #334
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Just thought people would enjoy these pictures of icex 2018
https://www.dvidshub.net/feature/ICEX2018
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 20:11   #335
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack check your typing how can 2015 be the second warmest and the 6th warmest.
Funny that your list when corrected as I noted
It follows the sunspot numbers .
Corrected

9 of the 10 warmest years in the instrumental record have occurred since 2002 Mid year sunspot numbers in parentheses:
1. 2016 (41.5)
2. 2015 (72.1)
3. 2017 (22.2)
4. 2014 (114.1)
5. 2010 (24.6)
6. 2005 (44.5)
7. 2013 (90.9)
8. 2009 (4.1)
9. 1998 (NA)
10. 2007 (12.8)

here are the sunspot numbers - show me the correlation.

SWS - Solar Conditions - Monthly Sunspot Numbers

Notice anything

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 20:23   #336
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It follows the sunspot numbers .
Here are the UAH TLT data

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt

Here are the sunspot data

SWS - Solar Conditions - Monthly Sunspot Numbers

Please show me the correlation.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 21:00   #337
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Here are the UAH TLT data

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt

Here are the sunspot data

SWS - Solar Conditions - Monthly Sunspot Numbers

Please show me the correlation.
sunspot numbers and actual temperatures are directly corollary.
That is if the actual land temperatures are used and not the adjusted ones.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 21:04   #338
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Here are the most recent years up to today.
Current Stretch: 6 days
2018 total: 58 days (60%)
2017 total: 104 days (28%)
2016 total: 32 days (9%)
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)
Updated 07 Apr 2018
Notice any corollary now.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:02   #339
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,368
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ok I would have to assume by your lack of specifics you are referring to the dragonfly 44 galaxy . It doesn't consist of entirely dark matter but due to its size and relatively few stars ( as big as the milky way but just 1% as bright) it needs dark matter to hold it together.

In other words, van Dokkum and his team found evidence of way more mass than they could actually see. Only 0.01 percent of the galaxy is made of ordinary, visible matter: stuff that is made of atoms containing protons, neutrons and electrons. But the other 99.99 percent of Dragonfly 44's mass is the ever-elusive dark matter. Of all the stuff in this Milky Way-size galaxy, we can see almost nothing.

Does that satisfy your curiosity
Umm, the question was mostly rhetorical--tongue in cheek, meant to illustrate the incongruity and irony of someone placing confidence in a theory based, literally, on nebulous starshine from 2,100,000,000,000,000,000,000 years away (what is that?, 2.1 octillion?), combined with what some would say is an ad-hoc hypothesis, about something that is not 'dark', but unseen, and is not 'matter', but rather demonstrates no properties of matter as we know it, except possibly gravity (which of course would seem to make it not matter, since we've never [not] seen anything that induces gravitational effects except matter), over the proved, tested and demonstrable-in-your-backyard inverse square law as applied to solar irradiation.

For planets with atmospheres, the average temperatures are controlled primarily by the composition of their respective atmospheres. This has been demonstrated empirically on, and verified by, comparisons of the four inner planets of our solar system.

That you continue this misguided, quixotic mission of solar-irradiance-caused-CC, complete with somewhat bizarre and eclectic trusts and alliances, does indeed shed some light on the role of human nature in the variety of 'religious' experiences...perhaps we should rename dark matter 'god', reflecting it's unseen, yet mysterious forces pervading, apparently, the entire universe...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:17   #340
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
sunspot numbers and actual temperatures are directly corollary.
That is if the actual land temperatures are used and not the adjusted ones.
Show us the coefficent of correlation. Are at least, a scattergraph.

http://www.statisticshowto.com/proba...cient-formula/

The graph I posted shows sunspots number and temperature diverging.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:25   #341
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here are the most recent years up to today.
Current Stretch: 6 days
2018 total: 58 days (60%)
2017 total: 104 days (28%)
2016 total: 32 days (9%)
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)
Updated 07 Apr 2018
Notice any corollary now.
You claimed a correlation with sunspot numbers, which I posted. This is not not sunspot numbers.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10   #342
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,551
Images: 1
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
sunspot numbers and actual temperatures are directly corollary.
That is if the actual land temperatures are used and not the adjusted ones.


UAH temperature data trend (Increasing) and sunspot numbers (Decreasing).

This is a classic negative correlation.

I am out for the rest of the day refereeing at squash tournament.

I look forward to your coefficient of correlation. Feel free to post woodfortrees graphs that support your assertion as well.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:12   #343
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You claimed a correlation with sunspot numbers, which I posted. This is not not sunspot numbers.
you are right I did say that so I suppose I should have been more precise and not have given you wiggle room .
Instead it should have been posted as sunspot number days.
That should fit better with high school math and science classes.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:14   #344
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Umm, the question was mostly rhetorical--tongue in cheek, meant to illustrate the incongruity and irony of someone placing confidence in a theory based, literally, on nebulous starshine from 2,100,000,000,000,000,000,000 years away (what is that?, 2.1 octillion?), combined with what some would say is an ad-hoc hypothesis, about something that is not 'dark', but unseen, and is not 'matter', but rather demonstrates no properties of matter as we know it, except possibly gravity (which of course would seem to make it not matter, since we've never [not] seen anything that induces gravitational effects except matter), over the proved, tested and demonstrable-in-your-backyard inverse square law as applied to solar irradiation.

For planets with atmospheres, the average temperatures are controlled primarily by the composition of their respective atmospheres. This has been demonstrated empirically on, and verified by, comparisons of the four inner planets of our solar system.

That you continue this misguided, quixotic mission of solar-irradiance-caused-CC, complete with somewhat bizarre and eclectic trusts and alliances, does indeed shed some light on the role of human nature in the variety of 'religious' experiences...perhaps we should rename dark matter 'god', reflecting it's unseen, yet mysterious forces pervading, apparently, the entire universe...
sorry I thought you were asking a serious question.
Btw its called dark matter theory for a reason.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:18   #345
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 5,008
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
.

For planets with atmospheres, the average temperatures are controlled primarily by the composition of their respective atmospheres. This has been demonstrated empirically on, and verified by, comparisons of the four inner planets of our solar system.

...
actually its not the composition of the respective atmospheres it is atmospheric pressure . That determines the base temperature. Then solar forcing accounts for variances.
__________________

__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
passage

« Northwest Passage | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northwest Passage Colorado Dreamer Polar Regions 23 19-04-2018 11:12
Crew Wanted: North Sea passage to Shetland- Scotland- june 2018 roda Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 2 16-04-2018 16:30
Time for Northwest - Passage 2018 jackdale Polar Regions 98 26-01-2018 13:42
Crew Wanted: ARC Europe - BVI to Portugal May 2018 to June 2018 jhill82 Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 0 10-12-2017 06:30
Crew Available: French-Californian sailing couple for east-west passage beginning of January 2018! PerrineNate Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 0 23-11-2017 09:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.