Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 19:37   #316
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage - 2018

To many people with to many letters ( either real or imagined) after their names.

Old 06-04-2018, 20:55   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
To many people with to many letters ( either real or imagined) after their names.
Two many people with to few letters don't understand the difference between "two", "too", and "to".

SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 21:16   #318
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Two many people with to few letters don't understand the difference between "two", "too", and "to".
ok corrected. Too many letters.
I accept responsibility for the minor grammatical error.

Sorry I was and am preoccupied with an astrophysics report on dark matter .
Old 06-04-2018, 21:39   #319

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Oh the irony!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 21:47   #320
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Old-school technology for when your GPS fails

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

[/B]Using models instead of experiment when you can experience the phenoma directly is indeed bad science.
OK Let us conduct a controlled experiment on climate change. Planet A will be the experimental subject; planet B will will be the control subject. On planet A we will increase the CO2 levels by burning fossil fuels; On Planet B we will allow the natural cycles only. Planet A will be Earth and Planet B will be .... Oh right, there is no planet B.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 21:57   #321
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The first sentence of your link:

In science, a model is a representation of an idea, an object or even a process or a system that is used to describe and explain phenomena that cannot be experienced directly.

Using models instead of experiment when you can experience the phenoma directly is indeed bad science.
OK let us use empirical data.

Troposphere warms, stratosphere cools

Troposphere warming

Stratosphere cooling

Heat trapped by anthropogenic GHG's, i.e., CO2

BTW the tropopause is also increasing in altitude as a result.

BTW -predicted by

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/bibliograp...les/sm8001.pdf

All detected by satellites.

If solar activity had any role in climate change, the troposphere and stratosphere would warm / cool in unison. As well, solar activity is declining as temperature increase. The Maunder Minumum / Little ICe age analogy does not works, as the MM occured in the middle of the LIA and cold not have caused it. se: https://academic.oup.com/astrogeo/ar...2/2.17/3074082

The GHG qualities of CO2 have been known for nearly 2 centuries.

Using carbon isotope analysis, the 40% increase in atmospheric CO2 can be directly attributed to the burning of fossil fuels. It is called the "Suess effect". (Not the Grinch one.)
Old 06-04-2018, 22:16   #322
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Not sure whether that's Muphry's Law or deliberate. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 22:20   #323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
OK Let us conduct a controlled experiment on climate change. Planet A will be the experimental subject; planet B will will be the control subject. On planet A we will increase the CO2 levels by burning fossil fuels; On Planet B we will allow the natural cycles only. Planet A will be Earth and Planet B will be .... Oh right, there is no planet B.
Says the guy who loves to incorrectly call "strawman" at every occasion

Please explain the similarities between earth's climatic system and a piece of calcite.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 22:43   #324
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The anthropogenic part is less than 3% of the total co2. Which means that as of April 3 of 2018 with the co2 at 409 ppm the part that is anthropogenic is 12.27 ppm.
Also according to the Science concerning the relationship between temperature and co2 according to the vostok ice cores
Is that co2 increases follow temperature increases by aprox 800 years.
Which would mean the current co2 concentration is responding to the Medieval Warm Period. Which peaked aprox 1200 AD
Old 07-04-2018, 00:47   #325

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:

Please explain the similarities between earth's climatic system and a piece of calcite.
Uhh...strawman

straw man
ˌstrô ˈman/
noun
noun: strawman
an intentionally misrepresented or misleading proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

You were the one who asserted by implication that any science not carried out empirically, or used models, was 'bad science'.

Jack's response was an example or metaphor illustrating just one aspect of the need for models and a reason that they have such a highly respected place in all science, and has nothing to do with either calcite or climate change, and yet you insert a 'strawman question', apparently to obfuscate the issue...though maybe you think you're just being 'cute'...
jimbunyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:31   #326

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
ok corrected. Too many letters.
I accept responsibility for the minor grammatical error.

Sorry I was and am preoccupied with an astrophysics report on dark matter .
Well...in keeping with the spirit of thread drift so evident here, it's technically an orthographic error, not a grammatical one...

An orthography is a set of conventions for writing a language. It includes norms of spelling, hyphenation, capitalization, word breaks, emphasis, and punctuation.

In linguistics, grammar (from Greek: γραμματική) is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language. The term refers also to the study of such rules, and this field includes phonology, morphology, and syntax, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics.

But I think really we're just splitting hairs...

Perhaps when you've finished with your dark matter report you can explain to me how the recently discovered 'dark matter galaxies' can exist, given this definition for galaxy

gal·ax·y
ˈɡaləksē/
noun
noun: galaxy; plural noun: galaxies
a system of millions or billions of stars, together with gas and dust, held together by gravitational attraction.

since, last I heard, dark matter is detectable only by it's gravitational signature.

And don't try and fool me with that there 'metaphor argument', cuz that's just plainly bad science...
jimbunyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:33   #327
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The anthropogenic part is less than 3% of the total co2. Which means that as of April 3 of 2018 with the co2 at 409 ppm the part that is anthropogenic is 12.27 ppm.
Also according to the Science concerning the relationship between temperature and co2 according to the vostok ice cores
Is that co2 increases follow temperature increases by aprox 800 years.
Which would mean the current co2 concentration is responding to the Medieval Warm Period. Which peaked aprox 1200 AD
Using carbon isotope analysis the 40% increase in atmospheric CO2 over the past 2.5 centuries. is directly attributable to the burning of fossil fuels.

The 800 year lag existed before we decided to add the CO2 all by ourselves.

According to Milankovitch cycles which drive the ice ages we should be cooling.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:40   #328
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I am not sure what you are after. But calcite will remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Apparently not fast enough to keep those levels at those that existed for at least the past 800,000 years. Part of that might be due to the release of CO2 in the manufacture of cement.

So one similarity might be that human activity has messed up both the natural climate cycles and the calcite cycle.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:44   #329
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Using carbon isotope analysis the 40% increase in atmospheric CO2 over the past 2.5 centuries. is directly attributable to the burning of fossil fuels.

The 800 year lag existed before we decided to add the CO2 all by ourselves.

According to Milankovitch cycles which drive the ice ages we should be cooling.
Jack we are cooling .
I really don't see where you get 40% from from what is a mere 3% of a .0409% total in the atmosphere. I.e. 12.27 ppm
Old 07-04-2018, 09:05   #330
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Well...in keeping with the spirit of thread drift so evident here, it's technically an orthographic error, not a grammatical one...

An orthography is a set of conventions for writing a language. It includes norms of spelling, hyphenation, capitalization, word breaks, emphasis, and punctuation.

In linguistics, grammar (from Greek: γραμματική) is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language. The term refers also to the study of such rules, and this field includes phonology, morphology, and syntax, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics.

But I think really we're just splitting hairs...

Perhaps when you've finished with your dark matter report you can explain to me how the recently discovered 'dark matter galaxies' can exist, given this definition for galaxy

gal·ax·y
ˈɡaləksē/
noun
noun: galaxy; plural noun: galaxies
a system of millions or billions of stars, together with gas and dust, held together by gravitational attraction.

since, last I heard, dark matter is detectable only by it's gravitational signature.

And don't try and fool me with that there 'metaphor argument', cuz that's just plainly bad science...
ok I would have to assume by your lack of specifics you are referring to the dragonfly 44 galaxy . It doesn't consist of entirely dark matter but due to its size and relatively few stars ( as big as the milky way but just 1% as bright) it needs dark matter to hold it together.

In other words, van Dokkum and his team found evidence of way more mass than they could actually see. Only 0.01 percent of the galaxy is made of ordinary, visible matter: stuff that is made of atoms containing protons, neutrons and electrons. But the other 99.99 percent of Dragonfly 44's mass is the ever-elusive dark matter. Of all the stuff in this Milky Way-size galaxy, we can see almost nothing.

Does that satisfy your curiosity

Tags
passage