Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2017, 16:23   #121
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

To many idiots in ice rated vessels destroying multi year ice .

Old 01-09-2017, 19:57   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
To many idiots in ice rated vessels destroying multi year ice .
Still grasping at straws, eh?

Quote:
Do icebreakers contribute to climate change?

When icebreakers travel through sea ice, they leave trails of open water in their wake. Dark open water does not reflect nearly as much sunlight as ice does, so sometimes people wonder if icebreakers speed up or exacerbate sea ice decline.

In summer, the passages created by icebreakers do increase local summertime melting because the ships cut through the ice and expose new areas of water to warm air. However, the melt caused by an icebreaker is small and localized. Channels created by icebreakers are quite narrow and few in number compared to natural gaps in the ice. In winter, any openings caused by icebreakers will quickly freeze over again. So, scientists do not think that icebreakers play a significant role in accelerating the decline in Arctic sea ice.
Frequently Asked Questions on Arctic sea ice | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 17:30   #123

Cyan - this year
Red - last year
Green - record-setting 2012

Quote:
On August 17, the Russian nuclear powered icebreaker 50 Let Pobedy [50 лет Победы] reached the North Pole in just 79 hours, the fastest time yet.
National Snow & Ice Data Center
Old 05-09-2017, 21:05   #124
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nope not grasping at straws voicing my opinion that the disruption of multi year ice by breaking it up is causing ireperable harm. Also that making it seem like a good thing to set and break records like how early they get thru the nwp or the nep or how fast they break their way to the north pole . Will imo cause more harm in the years to come. Time will tell.
Old 05-09-2017, 22:54   #125

Quick routing trough the NW passage gives approx the same 10'000NM from UK to Tahiti. Interesting alternative to avoid the inofficial and official crime around the Canal.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:28   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Time will tell.
A line popular with those who lack foresight.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:41   #127
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A line popular with those who lack foresight.
Actually jack this is one of those times where we really wont know the full effects of curent and near future arctic shipping incursions into that fragile environment untill its to late to do something about it.
Acording to research the last time the arctic was ice free in summer a good portion of north america was under many thousands of feet of ice. ( we coverd this a couple years ago remember)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43   #128
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back to the topic of this thread it appears that the nwp wont be ice free this year. ( passable yes but not ice free)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:37   #129

Quote:
Back to the topic of this thread it appears that the nwp wont be ice free this year. ( passable yes but not ice free)
I suppose this year's season is already over...
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41   #130
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I suppose this year's season is already over...
Real close to the end. I expect it to start refreezing within the next couple weeks. ( jmo)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:03   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Real close to the end. I expect it to start refreezing within the next couple weeks. ( jmo)
Usually around September 15.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Of course opinions don't mean anything here, do they. Of course that's just my opinion. Scientific evidence however is worth its weight in gold, so the saying goes. Another opinion, I suppose.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:02   #133

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

What is the definition of "Central Arctic Ocean" ?

I'm afraid I'm curious and somewhat suspect as to these claims

"Arctic Mission’s furthest North was 80 degrees 10 minutes North, 148 degrees 51 minutes West"

"It is believed Arctic Mission has sailed further north from the coastlines surrounding the Arctic Ocean than any vessel in history without icebreaker support."

During a recent Photography expedition to photograph Polar bears in mid July this year, we circumvented the 5 islands group north of Spitsbergen and reached 81 degrees, 30 minutes North (20E), in a small class 1 ice vessel (NOT an ice breaker), and this was the edge of the icepack.

There were a couple of yachts in the vicinity who were over 80 north. (One day I hope to get there in my own boat !)

I've been travelling to the High Arctic and Antarctic since 2010 and continue to be amazed at the rapid changes, shrinking of the sea ice, and the retreat of glaciers even in that short time.

We can argue all we like about why, but that change it occurring is fact...
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 15:09   #134

A report on the Northwest Passage | National Snow & Ice Data Center

Quote:
Of particular interest each year are the ice conditions in the Northwest Passage. Our colleagues, Stephen Howell and Michael Brady of the Climate Research Division at Environment and Climate Change Canada, provided a status update based on sea ice charts produced by the Canadian Ice Service.

Figure 4b
As of August 28, the northern route of the Northwest Passage was blocked by high concentration ice at the western (Parry Channel) entrance (Figure 4a), but overall extent in the passage is still tracking below the 1981 to 2010 average (Figure 4b). The record low seasonal extent in the northern route was in 2011. Low ice years in the northern route are typically the result of early breakup associated with above-average sea level pressure over the Beaufort Sea and Canadian Basin; this pattern tends to displace ice away from the western entrance. Conversely, low sea level pressure over the Beaufort Sea, such as seen this summer, packs ice up against the western entrance. It is unlikely the northern route will open in this year. Ice concentrations are much milder in the southern route (Amundsen’s Passage) but some ice still blocks the eastern part of that passage. This is primarily first year ice that may melt out in the coming weeks. During low ice summers, thick multi-year ice originating from the Arctic Ocean is typically advected into the channels of both the northern and southern routes, representing a significant hazard to transiting ships.

The Crystal Serenity luxury cruise ship, accompanied by an icebreaker, is attempting a repeat of last year’s cruise through the passage. Professor Christian Haas of York University in Toronto, who is providing sea ice expertise on board the ship, sent us a first-hand account of conditions:

“On August 29 and 30, we encountered some high concentration ice, up to 90 percent, just before entering Bellot Strait. The ice was mostly first-year ice, with about 30 percent multi-year ice having thicknesses greater than 2 meters (6.5 feet). Due to the relatively severe ice conditions, we were supported by the Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker Des Groseilliers, which helped clear some ice on our route into Franklin Strait. Overall, ice conditions have been much more severe than during the first transit of the Northwest Passage of the Crystal Serenity in 2016, when no ice was encountered at all.”

Figure 4c shows conditions along the route. The ship’s latest position is available at the cruise’s blog.

Also of note, the Finnish icebreaker MSV Nordica, set a new record for the earliest transit through the passage on July 29, traveling 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) in 24 days.

On the other side of the Arctic, the Northeast Passage (or Northern Sea Route) along the coast of Siberia appears largely open as shown by NSIDC data, though operational analysis by the U.S. National Ice Center shows some remaining ice along the coast of the Taymyr Peninsula.
Old 10-09-2017, 16:46   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
They did it! The Bestevaer 55ST 'Morning Haze' completed their North-West Passage safely this week, after 56 days from the start in Aasiaat, Greenland. Currently she's moored in Nome, Alaska, but they will head further south soon. From the 3.993 miles, they sailed for 2.121 of those.
In the middle of Canada, in Cambridge Bay, they met with the Bestevaer 56 Tranquilo who is sailing the NWP in the opposite direction. In 2013 the yachts also met in Greenland.
Jokingly they stated:
"Today, Saturday August 19, 2017, KMY built Bestevaers 56 'Tranquilo' and 55 'Morning Haze' congregated in Cambridge Bay, Canada on their respective journeys east-bound and west-bound through the North West Passage.
"Well, I tend to meet these guys always when I cross from one ocean to the other" says Tranquilo's skipper. "Funny thing, that Tranquilo always comes from the east, need to think about it", wonders Jochen, Morning Haze's skipper.
Eeuwe Kooi, CEO of KMY comments: "These guys are where they belong, far away in the cold at uninviting places. They asked for boats to be built for that purpose and now they really enjoy it."
;-)
Very proud of the crews for their accomplishment and the yachts for keeping them safe on their journeys!
https://www.facebook.com/KMYachtbuil...09124999130572

Tags
passage

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: