Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2017, 08:56   #196
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 259
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring it rejected the results | Independent

Ironically, so rapid was the temperature change at a weather station in Utqiaġvik, the most northerly town in Alaska, that the computer analysing the data detected an "error" and stopped recording the correct temperature.

Low levels of sea ice in the region caused the air temperatures to rise quickly. The computers NOAA use to automatically record climate data have in-built algorithms that ensure the information they record is accurate. In this case, the temperature change was such a shock to the system that the computer “disqualified itself” from the Alaskan temperature analysis.

The data from the station was missing for all of 2017, and the last few months of 2016. This left northern Alaska as reporting colder temperatures than what actually happened.
__________________

SailOar is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 09:10   #197
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in Nova Scotia heading to Italy
Boat: Oyster 62 Cutter, Oyster 53 Cutter (for sale)
Posts: 9,326
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Arctic global warming so rapid that computer measuring it rejected the results | Independent

Ironically, so rapid was the temperature change at a weather station in Utqiaġvik, the most northerly town in Alaska, that the computer analysing the data detected an "error" and stopped recording the correct temperature.

Low levels of sea ice in the region caused the air temperatures to rise quickly. The computers NOAA use to automatically record climate data have in-built algorithms that ensure the information they record is accurate. In this case, the temperature change was such a shock to the system that the computer “disqualified itself” from the Alaskan temperature analysis.

The data from the station was missing for all of 2017, and the last few months of 2016. This left northern Alaska as reporting colder temperatures than what actually happened.
Yeah right.... I just heard that Boston, Manhattan and most of Floriduh was swallowed up by the rising ocean earlier today. Run for the hills!!
__________________

Kenomac is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 11:09   #198
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 259
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yeah right.... I just heard that Boston, Manhattan and most of Floriduh was swallowed up by the rising ocean earlier today. Run for the hills!!
Glad you're paying attention.

Miami Beach's Tidal Flooding Has Jumped by 400 Percent in the Past Decade | Miami New Times
Quote:
Talk to certain native Floridians about sea-level rise, and they'll scoff at the idea that the floods regularly swamping cars and drowning businesses in South Beach are anything new. "Why, I remember a flood in 1962 that you can't imagine!" they'll say.

Sorry, old-timey climate-change deniers. Miami Beach's flooding is definitely unprecedented, and it's happening at a shockingly more frequent rate.

That's the conclusion of a team of University of Miami scientists that used a wealth of data from everything from tidal records and rain gauges to insurance claims to look at how often Miami Beach's streets have ended up underwater. They found that since 2006, rain-based floods have increased by 33 percent and tidal flooding by an astounding 400 percent....

SailOar is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 11:31   #199
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,801
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
where is the link to the actual study report that they based this bit of creative journalism on? I would be interested in reading it.
They say a 400% increase in tidal flooding how many times a year did it used to flood was it one time a year and now it happens 4 times or what ? Would love to see the raw data.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 11:39   #200
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 259
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
where is the link to the actual study report that they based this bit of creative journalism on? I would be interested in reading it.
They say a 400% increase in tidal flooding how many times a year did it used to flood was it one time a year and now it happens 4 times or what ? Would love to see the raw data.
A link to the study can be found in the Miami New Times article, third paragraph, first sentence, RED font color. Let me know if you need more assistance.
SailOar is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 11:54   #201
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,801
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
A link to the study can be found in the Miami New Times article, third paragraph, first sentence, RED font color. Let me know if you need more assistance.
ok thanks I'm more used to citations being listed at the end of an article.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 11:57   #202
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,801
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Here is another article that makes me sceptical of the data presented by the university of Miami.
Miami Business Leaders Meet About Sea-Level Rise Opportunities | Miami New Times
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 15-12-2017, 15:34   #203
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,748
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
When the boffins start blaming a localised anomaly on a supposedly global phenomena, it's time to get some replacement boffins.
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 19-12-2017, 17:42   #204
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 11,530
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

loss of albedo is 3.5 square miles against the 3.5 million square miles decrease each year during melt season

Interesting. This albedo study is adequate for albedo, but all the effects of chopping a 620 mile passage are not fully understood or accounted for.

Multiply that one ice breaking trip by increasing trade routes and cruise ships and ships may become a very significant factor in acceleration of loss of albedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Ice breakers do not have any significant impact on sea ice extent.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/iceligh...anging-climate
rgleason is online now  
Old 19-12-2017, 18:20   #205
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 8,039
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
When the boffins start blaming a localised anomaly on a supposedly global phenomena, it's time to get some replacement boffins.
By localized anomaly do you mean global? Like the islands in the Pacific that are disappearing or or having to move the villages to higher ground. Or New York city that has budgeted for higher sea levels? Other areas along the US Atlantic coast? Towns in northern Canada that have had to move? Alaska flooding of town sites? Or tidal flooding in Denmark? Just to name a few.

Or do you think these are all made up by "boffins"?
__________________
Global Warming is really better named Human Caused Climate Change
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 19-12-2017, 18:23   #206
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 8,039
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

I think I need to go back and review this Youtube video.

__________________
Global Warming is really better named Human Caused Climate Change
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 19-12-2017, 18:25   #207
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,801
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
By localized anomaly do you mean global? Like the islands in the Pacific that are disappearing or or having to move the villages to higher ground. Or New York city that has budgeted for higher sea levels? Other areas along the US Atlantic coast? Towns in northern Canada that have had to move? Alaska flooding of town sites? Or tidal flooding in Denmark? Just to name a few.

Or do you think these are all made up by "boffins"?
that all was coverd a long while ago the islands are sinking .
Higher sea levels I doubt it is due to MMGWC . When an undersea volcano erupts forming new islands where does all the water it displaces go? That is a natural occurrence so I guess it doesn't count .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 20-12-2017, 03:11   #208
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 259
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
...When an undersea volcano erupts forming new islands where does all the water it displaces go? That is a natural occurrence so I guess it doesn't count .
And the question for you is "where does all the volcanic material come from that creates the new islands?"

The answer is that it comes from a magma source lying underneath the new island. As the magma source is depleted (sort of like a balloon deflating), the ocean floor above it subsides. Thus, the water displaced by the formation of the new island fills in the subsiding ocean floor, and so there is no net increase or decrease in sea level.

...Unless we want to think about that portion of the island that is now above sea level. In that case, the sea floor is subsiding more than it is being filled in by water being displaced by the new volcanic material. So actually the creation of volcanic islands causes the sea level to go down.

...Unless we want to think about how a new island is like a person sitting on a waterbed (the Earth's crust). The localized weight of the island/person causes the crust/waterbed to sag downwards under the weight, which makes some other portion of crust/waterbed to bulge upwards.

...Unless we want to take into consideration that the extra mass of rock forming the new island has increased the local gravity, which causes the more water to be drawn towards the new island (which raises the local sea level), but which also causes sea water to be sucked away from the rest of the ocean (causing the sea level to go down for the rest of the world).

It's all very complicated (and mostly irrelevant for the creation of a small volcanic island).... <LAUGH>

Maybe this video will be of interest.



This thread is drifting badly away from the topic of the Northwest Passage. Oh well, the thread is due to expire in just eleven more days. Season's Greetings to all.

SailOar is offline  
Old 20-12-2017, 03:35   #209
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 259
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

For those with extra time on their hands this holiday season, and an interest in some of the historical aspects of discovery of the Northwest Passage, here are some YouTube videos of the ill-fated 1845 Franklin Expedition.













SailOar is offline  
Old 20-12-2017, 04:39   #210
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,748
Re: Northwest Passage - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
By localized anomaly do you mean global? Like the islands in the Pacific that are disappearing or or having to move the villages to higher ground. Or New York city that has budgeted for higher sea levels? Other areas along the US Atlantic coast? Towns in northern Canada that have had to move? Alaska flooding of town sites? Or tidal flooding in Denmark? Just to name a few.

Or do you think these are all made up by "boffins"?
Well I could just argue that quoting a handful of localised anomalies does not a global phenomena make. You know the sea covers, like, 71% of the globe right?

Anyhow, here's some stuff to Google that may expand your mind a little or maybe even a lot:
  • Floods
  • Subduction
  • Interglacial sea level rise
  • Ground water depletion
  • Subsidence
  • Erosion
  • Tectonics
  • Gravity variations
__________________

Reefmagnet is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
passage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising the Pacific Northwest and Alaska's Inside Passage Divtruk Powered Boats 35 16-06-2018 10:45
Crew Wanted: Caribbean to Newport passage May 2017 elangley Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 17 06-05-2017 09:04
Fiona Completes the Northwest Passage. anotherT34C Cruising News & Events 7 22-09-2009 13:12
Northwest Passage Colorado Dreamer Polar Regions 22 01-09-2008 12:05
The Northwest Passage is OPEN FOR BUSINESS ssullivan General Sailing Forum 0 13-09-2007 16:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.