Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 17:54   #1

Northwest Passage - 2015

While the minimum Arctic sea ice extant this past summer was less than the normal average for the past few decades, there was still too much ice to make for an easy passage. However, a few weeks ago NASA announced that on February 25, 2015, the Arctic Ocean reached its maximum extant of sea ice for this season's freeze cycle, and that it set a new record for a minimum amount of coverage -- since satellite coverage began in 1979. So for those of you who have a Northwest Passage in your bucket list, 2015 may be your year.

NASA | Arctic Sea Ice Sets New Record Winter Low

Old 26-03-2015, 19:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Northwest Passage - 2015

Here we go again.
Old 27-03-2015, 07:49   #3

Arctic Sea-Ice Extent for March 27, 2015.

2014, and record-setting 2012 also shown for comparison.

Charctic Interactive Sea Ice Graph | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis
Old 28-03-2015, 09:45   #4

Boat: 55 Steel Long Range Expedition Trawler

What is the consensus of the forum regarding the impact on a 2015 NWP if the maximum seaice extent was a minimum value - will a 2015 NWP yacht encounter more or less ice during the minimum ice navigation season?

My experience and NWP tracking says there will be more young ice drifting about and hence more ice encounters during a 2015NWP.

What say you forum? Why?

How many on the forum are interested in joining a 2015 NWP expedition?

See you outdoors... on the water!
Old 30-03-2015, 14:38   #5

Has Arctic sea ice returned to normal?
https://www.skepticalscience.com/Has...-recovered.htm
Arctic Sea Ice
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Northwest Passage Perspective - more ice has been blocking the NWP navigation routes in recent years requiring patience to wait for environmental conditions such as wind and current to move the ice before continuing navigation...

See you outdoors... on the water!
Old 30-03-2015, 22:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The NWP is a very narrow and winding route that is prone to being choked with ice. The winds often blow ice into choke point that block the route forcing the boats to wait for a wind shift. Last year much of the Arctic Ocean was free of ice but the NWP was choked for much of the season. However some boats did make it through.
Old 31-03-2015, 09:42   #7

DeepFrz et al,

NW Passage Narrow? Every passage through islands requires attention to navigation but only two of the 7 NWP Routes, 4 and 6 around King William Island (Gjoa Haven), would be considered 'narrow'.

Yes, indeed understanding the impact of weather on drifting sea ice plays an important part is picking where and when to navigate during a NW Passage. Bellot Strait and Franklin Strait during the previous two years has remained an ice blockage point and will likely once again this minimum ice season repeat as an ice road block. So approaching from the east it becomes important to stage on the correct side of Prince Reagent - if you don't you will become trapped from drifting ice - likewise when approaching from the west the same situation in Rae and Franklin can occur... so up to date and forecast weather information is extremely vital when planning your navigating... I strongly recommend Iridium with Delorme InReach backup.

No one here has mentioned interest in a NW Passage - any specific reason would be appreciated? I realize that what is attractive to some is not to others. What say you?

Standing by... see you outdoors... on the water!
Old 31-03-2015, 11:09   #8

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2015 View Post
DeepFrz et al,

NW Passage Narrow? Every passage through islands requires attention to navigation but only two of the 7 NWP Routes, 4 and 6 around King William Island (Gjoa Haven), would be considered 'narrow'.

No one here has mentioned interest in a NW Passage - any specific reason would be appreciated? I realize that what is attractive to some is not to others. What say you?

Standing by... see you outdoors... on the water!
IMO it's a narrow trap compared to NE Passage which in turn is more problematic due Russian bureaucracy..
Old 31-03-2015, 11:15   #9

I always enjoy brilliant statements... where are you in the Arctic Ocean... considering it is ice right now... maybe you can explain or update your user details.

Did you complete your boat? Any specs or pixs online?
Old 31-03-2015, 11:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG2015 View Post
I always enjoy brilliant statements... where are you in the Arctic Ocean... considering it is ice right now... maybe you can explain or update your user details.

Did you complete your boat? Any specs or pixs online?
Not yet complete, few years more before I get it wet..
I'm located on the coast of Barents sea, mostly in Norway.
Old 31-03-2015, 12:19   #11

How to turn a hull - Boat Design Forums pictures in the OP
BR Teddy
Old 31-03-2015, 12:32   #12

Boat: Niagara 35

Thank you, Sail Oar. Very interesting data. I look forward to watching how this year progresses.

As GG says, it seems that low overall ice doesn't necessarily mean the choke points are free.
Old 31-03-2015, 14:13   #13

Since you live in the Barents Sea region with plenty of ice what influenced you to build using FRP and wood strips? I'm exhausted just looking at the pixs. How much build-up thickness will there be in the final boat at the keel and waterline? Or maybe asked another way - why didn't you build using welded steel?

Once you complete your boat are you planning to cruise south of the Arctic Circle?

One of the crew who is looking to buy a boat has said he will only consider a metal boat after sailing through the Northwest Passage in 2014. I think he is making a good decision because he wants to cruise high latitudes both North and South.

Thanks for your reply,

Smooth seas!
Old 31-03-2015, 14:56   #14

Boat: First 45f5

Good evening
I m very interested by the passage, do you plan to go to melville island?
Old 31-03-2015, 15:44   #15

Yes, Melville Island (Winter Harbour) is high on my list during the late season East to West return transit. As previously stated you go where Mother Nature allows... she makes the rules but knowing where to be at a particular time greatly increases your chances.

Northwest Passage 2015 : Crew Looking for 2015 Northwest Passage Boat and a 55 foot Motor Vessel Yacht Looking for 2015 Expedition Partners

The critical decision is at Port Kennedy/Bellot Strait - if the sea ice west of Resolute Bay is open/ing and the exit door(s) over the top of Bank Island or down Prince of Wales Strait looks good then I'd go west knowing two routes are possible.

When making the decision to return west late in the season, besides Fury & Hecla Strait, the obvious route is back to Lancaster... it will be pretty straight forward to make a decision to continue west past Resolute Bay or go south down Reagent.

You can contact me direct at 2015nwp (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks for saying hello!
Closed Thread

Tags
passage