Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 22:25   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Iceland

Now that I have shown the summer cruise photos to the whole family at Christmas, it's time to starting thinking about next year.

I think more and more about heading North, to Iceland. It seems like a great adventure but not so far as to require a sabbatical to accomplish.

My boat is based in the Solent. It seems to me that I could sail up the East coast of England to the Orkneys, stopping if necessary on the way on the Mud Coast. Although at 570 miles from Cowes, it could easily be done in one go without too much trouble.

Then Orkneys to Faroes, a doddle -- 210 miles. With a decent wind I can knock that back in 24 hours.

Then another 260 miles to Iceland.

Seems eminently doable even with only a month to do it, provided there is a decent weather window.

Anyone make this trip? Any tips?

My real dream would be to carry on to Greenland, but since it is undesirable for me to take more than a month off work, this seems like perhaps a bridge too far, this year.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 22:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Iceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Now that I have shown the summer cruise photos to the whole family at Christmas, it's time to starting thinking about next year.

I think more and more about heading North, to Iceland. It seems like a great adventure but not so far as to require a sabbatical to accomplish. .......

Anyone make this trip? Any tips?

My real dream would be to carry on to Greenland, but since it is undesirable for me to take more than a month off work, this seems like perhaps a bridge too far, this year.
I heard the best boat to use for this is a cutter-rigged Moody 54. YMMV
Old 29-12-2011, 22:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I heard the best boat to use for this is a cutter-rigged Moody 54. YMMV
But of course. Speed, to make the best of narrow weather windows

Kevlar hull, in case of ice in the water at night
Old 31-12-2011, 21:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, come one. Has no one ever been to Iceland? Or at least dreamed about it? I thought that our Erstarzinger had spent some time there.
Old 31-12-2011, 22:01   #5

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Sounds a great idea for a trip. Here's someone who did in a slightly smaller boat:

US Wayfarer Association - Frank Dye Page

Also there's a good article in 'the westerly story' about Bob Sheperton taking his Westerly Discus far into the Greenland ice. Go for it, in a Moody 54 it should be a safe and wonderful trip.

Happy New Year Dockhead
Paul & Mimi
Old 31-12-2011, 22:02   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Oh, come one. Has no one ever been to Iceland? Or at least dreamed about it? I thought that our Erstarzinger had spent some time there.
Check out setsail.com and the logs from 1-2 years ago or so.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 22:09   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Happy New Year Dockhead
Paul & Mimi
Thanks! And the same to you!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I'm planning the same for next year.

This book did it for me..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mingming-Min...A3TVV12T0I6NSM

(kindle reader is a free download for pc)

I'm thinking the same, one hit up to Orkney then carry on. Looks like plenty good anchorages in Orkney to wait for the weather. Greenland maybe a bit too far but would really like to just poke the bow into the arctic circle before running south again.

Getting back down is maybe where you'll get hammered. Past few summers have been a succession of lows coming in off the atlantic. I'm carrying on south so might head straight for Galicia, though would be a shame not to stop off in Ireland for a guiness But each time I look at the charts Ireland is just one huge lee shore.

Roger Taylor - he de man!! Heavy weather photos taken from junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Whatever you do, go to these cold places before spending time in the tropics, because that will cure you of the idea to go to cold places ever again

On the way back, you can also first go to the Lofoten islands in Norway, then south.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09   #10

My experiences in Iceland are completely out of date, although I doubt that the physical beauty of the country or the kindness of its people have changed. In 1984 my wife and I sailed from Spitsbergen through Jan Mayan to Isafjordur in NW Iceland. After trying to cross the Davis Straits to East Greenland and getting fouled up in ice and bad WX, we returned to Iceland. We cruised the North Coast and sailed to the Faroe Islands, Scotland and Ireland. Anyway, so here are some thoughts:

1) Great place to visit - wonderful people and terrific sites to visit.
2) I would think that getting there would be the challenge. Coming back should give you favorable winds, albeit in either direction, you may find yourself having to wait for good WX for quite a while.
3) A month seems doable. We have always had our worst trips when trying to hit a deadline, so I would make sure that I turned back east with plenty of time.
4) Plan to get inland. There are some spectacular places to see.
5) Hope that your heater is working well.

Good luck!
Dragon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Beth and Evens did, the details are on their blog I think.

Map of Entire Voyage

Personally, I would go up the West Coast of England to Wales, across to Northern Ireland and then the Scottish Western Isles to the Faroe Isles. For no other reason than I am more familiar with the route and the scenery is just superb . Indeed I probably wouldn't make it due to stopping too many times.

You need to check the weather charts, but I think June has the lowest incidence of gales for Northern Scotland.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18   #12

Boat: Allures 44

I'm guessing you've already thought of this, but get in touch with John, Phyllis and Colin at Attainable Adventure Cruising. (the link is to their blog).
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Whatever you do, go to these cold places before spending time in the tropics, because that will cure you of the idea to go to cold places ever again

On the way back, you can also first go to the Lofoten islands in Norway, then south.

ciao!
Nick.
Hah, I've cruised the tropics every year since I can't even remember. Decades. My father keeps his boat in the tropics. Seen one palm tree, seen 'em all.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Beth and Evens did, the details are on their blog I think.

Map of Entire Voyage

Personally, I would go up the West Coast of England to Wales, across to Northern Ireland and then the Scottish Western Isles to the Faroe Isles. For no other reason than I am more familiar with the route and the scenery is just superb . Indeed I probably wouldn't make it due to stopping too many times.

You need to check the weather charts, but I think June has the lowest incidence of gales for Northern Scotland.

Pete
Those are places on my must-see list, but I don't think I can get to Iceland and back in a month, and see any of that to boot. Which is why I thought to sail even nonstop to the Orkneys if the weather is suitable.

Another plan, however, might be to sail up there in three nonstop legs -- Cowes-Orkneys-Faroes-Iceland by way of the Eastern cost of Scotland, then come back by way of the West Coast. I could leave the boat up there, actually, then gradually bring her back to the Solent over the fall. I generally have two long weekends of sailing at least every month. Would be fantastic fall cruising, maybe?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Friends sailed to Iceland last summer. They said they had to motor most of the way. The sailed from Svalbard. There was some fog.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Iceland