Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-01-2012, 13:53   #16

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Iceland

I would srart with Tillman, many trips
( 6 books) to these places in gaff cutters,mostly from the British Isles.A gifted writer too. Only shipwrecked twice.

Old 01-01-2012, 14:15   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Would be fantastic fall cruising, maybe?
Yes good plan, I would be tempted to move the boat to Scotland early and then depart from there. Coming back south in the Autumn will give you dozens of bolt holes and options if the weather closes in. However, with that size of yacht there won't be much to hold you back.

Looking at a dark and stormy evening sky over Portsmouth harbour many years ago I asked the skipper of a Nic 55 what the weather forecast was, his reply was "it doesn't matter, we are going anyway" and we did.

Stromness in the Orkney Isles makes an interesting stop if the weather blows up or Scrabster in the top NE corner of Scotland is an big safe harbour with an easy entrance.

Old 01-01-2012, 23:03   #18

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I remember thinking about Iceland a few years ago and looked online and found Henk de Velde's account of sailing south out of Iceland toward Bermuda. It was translated into English and the first few days were one line entries into his log, such as, "very bad", "feeling very bad", and "seas very bad". This is an area that has rough weather, and if you follow a weather window, what happens next could be terminal. Look at the account of the Philips catamaran. I think going West to East might be doable, going East to West could be done in a weather niche.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
I remember thinking about Iceland a few years ago and looked online and found Henk de Velde's account of sailing south out of Iceland toward Bermuda. It was translated into English and the first few days were one line entries into his log, such as, "very bad", "feeling very bad", and "seas very bad". This is an area that has rough weather, and if you follow a weather window, what happens next could be terminal. Look at the account of the Philips catamaran. I think going West to East might be doable, going East to West could be done in a weather niche.
I think it is prudent to consult pilot charts and such related data. Statistically, the wx conditions in summer months seem perfectly adequate for cruising there.

b.
Old 08-01-2012, 15:44   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes good plan, I would be tempted to move the boat to Scotland early and then depart from there. Coming back south in the Autumn will give you dozens of bolt holes and options if the weather closes in. However, with that size of yacht there won't be much to hold you back.

Looking at a dark and stormy evening sky over Portsmouth harbour many years ago I asked the skipper of a Nic 55 what the weather forecast was, his reply was "it doesn't matter, we are going anyway" and we did.

Stromness in the Orkney Isles makes an interesting stop if the weather blows up or Scrabster in the top NE corner of Scotland is an big safe harbour with an easy entrance.
Yes, so I get a circumnav of Britain in the bargain. I like it. Circumnavigation of Britain by way of Iceland.

Has no one else make this trip?
Old 08-01-2012, 18:17   #21
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead

Yes, so I get a circumnav of Britain in the bargain. I like it. Circumnavigation of Britain by way of Iceland.

Has no one else make this trip?
Yes, it's popular with Dutch sailors but too cold for me :s
Still, you should look at returning via the Lofoten... if I ever go that far North, it is for those Islands.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 13-01-2012, 05:32   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I met a fellow last summer coming out of Bremen (I think) who made the run to He had planned to cruise the coast but only got to Nuuk. I think the ice got to him and he was single handed.

On his return trip he got hammered by lows to his East and layed to a Jordan drogue for three days. At that time we had 60 MPH winds for a full day in Bonavista, NL on the Labrador Sea. Finally he ran into Lewisporte, NL where he put the boat up for the winter and I met him. He is coming back to get his boat this summer and to finish his trip.

My 'Today' plan is to run up to Greenland this summer and do a counter clockwise tour of the Davis straight returning to the US in the fall. That is a pretty ambitious trip for me but I am working towards it. There are some outside variables that may conspire against that plan, for better or worse.

Last summer's weather in Newfoundland was pretty miserable until late July, when I had to leave. I hear that late July through August and into September was beautiful.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:00   #23

Boat: Cascade, 36

I just finished a book called "Into the Light" by Dave and Jaja Martin that depicts how the Martins and their three kids circumnavigated Iceland on a 33-foot steel boat. Awesome read and lots of information on anchorages and coastal sailing. Plus, it makes you really want to go!
Old 13-01-2012, 07:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiedelMar View Post
I just finished a book called "Into the Light" by Dave and Jaja Martin that depicts how the Martins and their three kids circumnavigated Iceland on a 33-foot steel boat. Awesome read and lots of information on anchorages and coastal sailing. Plus, it makes you really want to go!
That's a hot tip -- thanks! I'll try to find.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13   #25

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

I cruised Iceland in 1995, 1999, 2004, 2008 and 2010 and have seen pretty much every fjord and area. back than our home town was Den Helder in the Netherlands. My preference would be to go along UK's East coast, much less harbours to enter, but a lot easier to sail than through the Irish sea or even around Ireland itself. The faroes are a great stop, but you need time if you want to see something on Iceland. Mooring places are scarce along the south coast, my preference would be to make a first stop in Djupivagur if you want to make the crossing as short as possible. Be prepared to use your engine. The fjords are deep (12 to 20 miles deep) and most mooring or anchoring places are at the end of the fjords in riverbeds. In the fjords you can usually not sail that well.

Don't be afraid of ice in the water, that does not happen in the summer. Only in winter time you might encounter some ice in the NW of Iceland, but that is 100% gone by May.

If you want to know anything, feel free to ask or send a message. how much time do you have to spend?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Last summer's weather in Newfoundland was pretty miserable until late July, when I had to leave. I hear that late July through August and into September was beautiful.
We were in southern NL during August and Early September, was great weather, we were walking in shorts and were swimming in the fjords, always around 15 knots of wind and we have not seen a single cloud in 10 days. was great!

When going north, the best time is always July and August, in September the weather is generally still very nice, but the winds are picking up, the change on encountering high winds are a lot higher in September and October. But to be completely honest with you, i find February and August/September to be the best months for cruising up north weather wise.
Old 17-03-2012, 16:57   #27

Hello Dockhead,

Do you still have plans to go to iceland this summer?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:08   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
Hello Dockhead,

Do you still have plans to go to iceland this summer?
Absolutely! I am even oversubscribed for crew at this moment!

How about you? Will you be up there?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14   #29

No, this year I will sail in West Greenland and (North)Eastern Canada.
I might go to North West Iceland in February and March though.

Did you make a decision on the route you are taking and which area you like to visit?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Whatever you do, go to these cold places before spending time in the tropics, because that will cure you of the idea to go to cold places ever again
Didn't work for me. I visited the Arctic in '95 for the first time and sailed there every year since. In 2004 and in 2008 I did some cruising in the Carieb and the Med. I'm happy to say that the Arctic is a lot more attractive to me. The only thing is that you need to carry so many clothes

Quote:
On the way back, you can also first go to the Lofoten islands in Norway, then south.
That is a long extra route.... you easily add a thousand miles to the trip and end up further North than you stared this D-tour. I agree with you that it is a great place to visit, but you would need a speedboat to do this trip in an exceptable time frame.

Tags
Iceland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: