Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2006, 09:22   #16

Gord,

This tread has gotten well away from icebreakers visiting some far off place that 99 and 44 one hundreths of sailors probably could not identify.

However, The Japanese constitution rests upon the willingness of the US to respond to our defense commitment to Japan. This willingness has become questioned in Japan and there are moves afoot in Japan to amend this document much the way as the US Constitution has been amended to keep up with the realities of life. When the Japanese become convinced of their need for their own self protection, they will do what all rational people do and prepare for their own defense. This will include a military presence in the South China Sea and the Straits of Molucca. These waterways are the jugular of Japanese national existance. When or if the US is unwilling or unable to guarentee the right of passage in these waters, the Japanese will do it for themselves.

Frankly, as a military officer and taxpayer, I believe that Japan should be doing more heavy lifting in these areas. If they did, the snooty nations that border these areas would become much more congenial in helping the US with this burden. It's too easy to blame the guy in the middle that tries to help everybody. The position of Indonesia seems to be, we can't do a damned thing about threats to the Strait of Molucca, but we don't want anybody else to solve their problems in this area.

I'll try to sit on my hands and make this my last comment. I respect the New Zealanders right to determine who visits their ports and the conditions under which those provilages are exercised. I do take exception to being called a bully for putting the Z's in a position whereby they have to enforce their stated policies. I have the right to determine how any guest visits my property. If you cannot comply with MY rules, you are not a bully if you do not visit or leave when asked.
Old 28-06-2006, 11:48   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Wow up, just to make myself very clear. I have NEVER accused the US of Bullying. If I ever implied that, then I apologise right now because that is certainly not what I meant.
The only "issue" we have between our governments is that the US won't allow us in any military exercises, even if they are with Australia. They also allude to the fact, that if we ever get in trouble with another country, they won't come to our aid. Not sure if you could call that bullying, but.... Anyway, only a few Kiwis think all that above is an issue. The majority including me would consider it as "no skin off our nose". We armed forces are still involved world wide in peace efforts and I don't think we have any ill affects from not having the US being our "big Brother". If some nation really wanted to invade us, it would happen so fast, the US wouldn't be able to do a damn thing anyway. We have no defence force to speak of anymore. The government got rid of our defence side of the navy, all the strike force of the Airforce has gone and all we have left is a peace keeping Army, an airforce that patrols our waters for illeagal fishing and a Navy that tries to run after a fishing boat when it has been spotted. But then, when we can't pay for decent Health care and education, who cares about a military anyway.
Ooops, now I am getting political. Better step off my soapbox before I say something I shouldn't.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 17:11   #18

Alan,
I owe you an apology. It was BC that made the bullying statement.