Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 13:26   #1051

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

So. Jack (aka Copy and Paste Champion) After missing a few days of posts. It looks like I can summarise the cut and thrust of the posts.
The Science is Settled.........apparently.
Rabbit on son.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:32   #1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Burning wood releases CO2 that would have been released through decomposition. That is part of the natural CO2 cycle. Burning fossil fuels has the resulted the 40% increase in CO2 over the past 250 years. 400 ppm has not been seen in 3,500,000 years. For the 800,000 years natural cycles keep CO2 levels between 180 and 300 ppm.
Dang Jack. Where did that Copy and Paste come from? Hmmmmm.
(Not yet) 400 Parts Per Million so 999,600 Parts Per Million are not CO2 related.
Yes I am frightened....apparently.
BUT.......The Science is Settled.....apparently.
Pedal to metal Jack. Keep that Copy and Paste flowing.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:33   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
The Science is Settled.........apparently.
Rabbit on son.
He's never said that. Merely that there's lots of 'science', if some people would care to consider it. It's ok if you don't want to, really.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:33   #1054

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
- science BAAAD! scientists LIEEE!
- science/greenie/soshulist conspiracy wants to take away our nice things!
- wind and solar generation will NEVER work! part of conspiracy (see above)
- fracking and tarsands will will give us cheap oil forever! Why you wanna stop fracking and tarsands?

... like that. Look familiar?
Well, that's not pertinent to my reply. However, and as I've requested previously, do feel free to show the literature that discusses both the economic and environmental effects of what it will take to save this as yet occurring"disaster". Whilst AGW may be occurring, the disaster component only exists in the minds of those trying to over hype or profit from the situation.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:34   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Of course "something changes" in the cooling system. The coolant temperature increases, which increases the temperature differential between the radiator and the outdoor air temperature, which increases the rate of heat transfer between the engine and the environment. As long as the engine design parameters aren't exceeded the engine can tolerate the increased temperatures.

But if the engine gets too hot for the radiator to keep cool you risk all sorts of problems. Sound familiar?
And "something regulates"
Old 07-04-2015, 13:39   #1056

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

So I guess from all the data that the Bible has it right; sometime in the future this joint is going to go up in flames!
Old 07-04-2015, 13:44   #1057

Quote:
He's never said that. Merely that there's lots of 'science', if some people would care to consider it. It's ok if you don't want to, really.
Lake Effect. I think Jack is pretty committed to armeggedon ....or am I reading his copy and pastes wron.....
Old 07-04-2015, 13:47   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
However, and as I've requested previously, do feel free to show the literature that discusses both the economic and environmental effects of what it will take to save this as yet occurring"disaster".
Ah - it's the old "if you don't have an ironclad case and a fully costed solution to present, we don't wanna know" rebuff. Thought someone had already played that card in this thread.

Doesn't matter - it's still entertaining, and still as pointless a position as ever.

Quote:
Whilst AGW may be occurring, the disaster component only exists in the minds of those trying to over hype or profit from the situation.
-gasp- a crack of daylight!

We could agree on this.

Let me reassure you that there are many more who would simply like to just get on with figuring this thing out, many more than "those trying to over hype or profit from the situation" ... most of whom are mythical beings. In any case, "those" (real or imagined) are vastly outnumbered by the number of very real business and political interests who are profiting very handsomely from the status quo, and funding the anti- side.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:47   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
Then you are also a Denier with a capital 'D'. There is a huge, ever-growing mountain of evidence that says we are the cause and that it is harmful/unhelpful to us.
IPCC: AGW is "most likely". That's before we even get to the disasters predictions. I asked for evidence of AGW disasters after 25 years of supposed AGW and 0.6 deg C rises and you gave me the same old hypothesis and everyone else gave zip.

Most peer researched papers are full of "if", "predicted", "could" and other terms indicating uncertainties that just about always gets converted to the much more dire "is" and "will" in the media feeding this stuff to the gullible. In simple terms that turns it into propaganda; A lie propagated to the general populace.

That is not evidence.
Old 07-04-2015, 14:08   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
Evidence is evidence, it doesn't have bias.

"Us" as in mankind/human civilisation/global society. We've based our modern farming, settlement, transport, and more systems on certain temperates and climate behaviour. Altering them to suit a very rapidly changing climate will be hugely expensive, difficult and disruptive. Poorer nations hit by more frequent extreme weather will likely suffer famines and see mass migrations. Pacific island nations are already suffering more frequent and more extreme flooding.
You haven't been reading along, have you?
Old 07-04-2015, 14:13   #1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Maybe you need a little science lesson, but CO2 isn't an unnatural result of fossil fuel burning, but a natural result of combustion, it's Science 101.

Sheesh...is this the "science" level of understanding you have? It explains quite a bit....
Someone needs to invent a catalytic converter that converts CO2 in CO. All our problems would be solved
Old 07-04-2015, 14:22   #1062

Quote:
Ah - it's the old "if you don't have an ironclad case and a fully costed solution to present, we don't wanna know" rebuff. Thought someone had already played that card in this thread.

Doesn't matter - it's still entertaining, and still as pointless a position as ever.

Well, feel free to show us the disasters. If you want people to return the the stone age in order to return to your 1880's climate, ya gunna need an ironclad case, good sir.
Old 07-04-2015, 14:33   #1063

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
- science BAAAD! scientists LIEEE!
- science/greenie/soshulist conspiracy wants to take away our nice things!
- wind and solar generation will NEVER work! part of conspiracy (see above)
- fracking and tarsands will will give us cheap oil forever! Why you wanna stop fracking and tarsands?

... like that. Look familiar?
Well I can agree with you on that one. There isn't a wind farm in the world that makes money. No conspiracy, just simple money or the lack of it.
Old 07-04-2015, 14:57   #1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
So I guess from all the data that the Bible has it right; sometime in the future this joint is going to go up in flames!
If climate change don't do it than that big ball of Armageddon in the sky will as it's supposed to expand and consume us along with the other innermost planets in around 5 billion years time give or take a few years.

Imagine the alarmists trying to pin that on ASE (Anthropogenic Sun Expansion)
Old 07-04-2015, 15:11   #1065

From my own door step this morning is a real world example of alarmists wishing to destroy an economy based on a whole bunch of what if's.

Coal burning will damage reef, scientist tells court | Mackay Daily Mercury

The idoiocy is the only hard evidence and can be seen clearly in the first and last paragraphs of the article, don't worry about the rest of it.

No doubt they'll fly to the court in airplanes, drive around sight-seeing in their hire cars, and leave the air conditioners running in their motel rooms so the room will be cool on their return whilst all patting themselves on the back for their efforts in fighting the good fight.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water