Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 17:38   #991

Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
That bastion of unbiased climate change data - skepticalscience. Whilst alarmists like to remind us so-called deniers of the lack of credentials of those outspoken against the 97%, perhaps you should do some homework on one Mr John Cook
The article gives plenty of references to the scientific studies supporting this position. If you have anything relevant to say about the studies, I'm listening.
Quote:
Now, because you quote and that makes it hard to highlight some anomalies, let me point out that the amount of unadulterated sunlight falling on the Earth is around 1100 watts per square metre. Your graphic illustrates that anthropogenic + natural CO2 is contributing 0.2 watts per square metre. Regardless of how accurate that measurement is, do you see a problem at all with 0.2 vs 1100?
A change of solar irradiance of 0.2 watts per sq meter is significant.

Solar variation | Wikipedia
Quote:
Solar variation is the change in the amount of radiation emitted by the Sun (see Solar radiation) and in its spectral distribution over years to millennia. These variations have periodic components, the main one being the approximately 11-year solar cycle (or sunspot cycle). The changes also have aperiodic fluctuations.[1] In recent decades, solar activity has been measured by satellites, while before it was estimated using 'proxy' variables. Scientists studying climate change are interested in understanding the effects of variations in the total and spectral solar irradiance on Earth and its climate.

Variations in total solar irradiance were too small to detect with technology available before the satellite era, although the small fraction in ultra-violet light has recently been found to vary significantly more than previously thought over the course of a solar cycle.[2] Total solar output is now measured to vary (over the last three 11-year sunspot cycles) by approximately 0.1%,[3][4][5] or about 1.3 Watts per square meter (W/m2) peak-to-trough from solar maximum to solar minimum during the 11-year sunspot cycle. The amount of solar radiation received at the outer limits of Earth's atmosphere averages 1366 W/m2.[1][6][7] There are no direct measurements of the longer-term variation, and interpretations of proxy measures of variations differ. The intensity of solar radiation reaching Earth has been relatively constant through the last 2000 years, with variations estimated at around 0.1–0.2%.[8][9][10] Solar variation, together with volcanic activity are hypothesized to have contributed to climate change, for example during the Maunder Minimum. Changes in solar brightness are considered to be too weak to explain recent climate change.[11]

Old 06-04-2015, 17:48   #992

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
The article gives plenty of references to the scientific studies supporting this position. If you have anything relevant to say about the studies, I'm listening.
I would, but you're just rehashing what's already been covered. You're like the mechanic explaining how an engine seized in a 200 page analysis that includes in depth analysis of the mines the minerals came from, yet with the section titled "Recommended Repair" left blank.

Quote:
A change of solar irradiance of 0.2 watts per sq meter is significant.
In your own words, how so?
Old 06-04-2015, 17:52   #993

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
This is a most incredible thread. I have tried to read all of it but its voluminous. Its got to be a record.. But no surprise,not one convert to either side. Same as in the middle east. At the very least its an exposition of the human condition. The only thing I can say is its making me consider buying a Rocna. Is that crazy?
No, some people do change their mind. I, for one. Many of the oil companies are acknowledging the problems their products are creating. Even the population of the US is showing signs of changing its collective mind about the seriousness of Climate Change.

Yale Project on Climate Change Communication

Quote:

Old 06-04-2015, 17:57   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I would, but you're just rehashing what's already been covered. You're like the mechanic explaining how an engine seized in a 200 page analysis that includes in depth analysis of the mines the minerals came from, yet with the section titled "Recommended Repair" left blank.

In your own words, how so?
An analogy:

You have a glass full of ice water. You add a small amount of energy over a period of time and the ice all melts. Or, you remove a small amount of energy over a period of time and the water all freezes.

The energy balance on the earth is like that glass of ice water.
Old 06-04-2015, 18:21   #995
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

» Video: UN Climate Change Official Says “We Should Make Every Effort” To Depopulate The Planet Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Opps.....every once in a while the MMGW Cultists tell us their real goals.
Old 06-04-2015, 18:22   #996

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
An analogy:

You have a glass full of ice water. You add a small amount of energy over a period of time and the ice all melts. Or, you remove a small amount of energy over a period of time and the water all freezes.

The energy balance on the earth is like that glass of ice water.
Hmm, interesting concept. Tell me. Why doesn't your water-cooled car engine
boil after driving up a steep hill for a short while? I mean nothing changes in the cooling system once the thermostat is fully opened?
Old 06-04-2015, 18:58   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The fact you're citing Alex Jones explains alot, too. Wear alot of camo? How's your prep for the Apocalypse coming along? MREs in the bilge?
Old 06-04-2015, 19:03   #998
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The fact you're citing Alex Jones explains alot, too. Wear alot of camo? How's your prep for the Apocalypse coming along? MREs in the bilge?
Just followed the link from the Main Stream Media to the story....but you will notice the attack the messenger game when the MMGW Supreme Leader was caught...ha ha ah
Old 06-04-2015, 19:35   #999
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Opps.....so much for the Consensus of Science.
So the Scientific Community can't get the issue of SALT right....you really believe they can get the Climate Science Right...ha ha ha....

More scientists doubt salt is as bad for you as the government says - The Washington Post
Old 06-04-2015, 20:06   #1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Tensen, no offense here but as I suspected, you may want to take a couple classes as you have a couple seriously fundamental misunderstandings about how things work.
Cheers!
I have two engineering degrees, and a wife with a PhD in physics. I'm very comfortable with physics concepts and discussions, thanks.

It seems you are the one with misconceptions. You ought to take your own advice.

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2015, 20:12   #1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Opps.....so much for the Consensus of Science.
So the Scientific Community can't get the issue of SALT right....you really believe they can get the Climate Science Right...ha ha ha....

More scientists doubt salt is as bad for you as the government says - The Washington Post
This has no relationship to AGW, and is of exactly zero interest to everyone you're posting it for.

I shouldn't even bother replying to it, but just thought you should know that posting non-AGW stuff here is pointless. No-one cares.
Old 06-04-2015, 20:22   #1002
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
This has no relationship to AGW, and is of exactly zero interest to everyone you're posting it for.

I shouldn't even bother replying to it, but just thought you should know that posting non-AGW stuff here is pointless. No-one cares.
Well since you commented, we will help explain to you WHY it matters.
See the game of the MMGW Cultists is to argue that the Science is Settled, there is a Consensus and you neanderthal Climate Change Deniers need to sit down, shut up and trade away your way of life to those smarter than you who know what is best for you. Just like the Saltists who for years have been preaching to us about the evils of Salt and how you idiots are eating too much, your are killing yourselves. See the Control Freaks are all the same...Food, CO2, Population Bomb, etc.

The science of SALT was WRONG for so long...yet we are not to question the bogus studies of MMGW. Fool me once, twice and a dozen times on similar fraud/Peer Pressure "science de hour" fool me once...but dramatically change the way the world economy operates...no...thanks.
Old 06-04-2015, 20:48   #1003

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Mmmmm, BACON with extra salt, ice cream with extra chocolate syrup and a glass or two of wine.
Near 70 years old with 120 over 65 blood pressure and I don't bother to excercise.
Sailing is about it.

Blooey to all the health fanatics !

Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2015, 21:22   #1004
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep...
Back to the 1970s population bomb. See these ecofacists don't go away, they just sing a different tune to the same tired old song. The progressives started the eugenics to get rid of the undesirable minorities, now they are using MMGW to do it.

"One example is UK-based public policy group The Optimum Population Trust (OPT), which has previously launched initiatives urging wealthy members of the developed world to participate in carbon offsets that fund programs for curbing the population of developing nations.

In 2007, the group also published a report announcing that children are ‘bad for planet and ‘having large families should be frowned upon as an environmental misdemeanour in the same way as frequent long-haul flights, driving a big car and failing to reuse plastic bags."
Old 06-04-2015, 23:38   #1005

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

At the risk of stoking the fire and flogging a dead horse... ok, whatever you think of climate science and scientists, fine, but haven't we all, especially sailors, who watch the weather constantly, noticed a definite change in the patterns of the jet stream over the last 20 years or so. Haven't we noticed certain unusual weather patterns showing up and staying for quite a while? The recent polar vortex back east and the corresponding static high over the west generating Santa Ana winds even in the winter is an example. The extremes of the loops or meanders (or amplitude as the scientists call it) of the jet have been growing, and it is the SPEED of this change that has scientists who study this concerned. I have noticed it just watching the weather channel for 20 years, and I have no dog in the fight.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water