Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:10   #856
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Dear oh dear oh dear, another quotation of that "97%" claptrap. When will it sink in with you guys? That 97% of scientists stuff is pure baloney yet you keep repeating it !

Did all you warmistas graduate from the Big Joe Goebbels School of Propaganda or something ? It was Big Joe who said:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

Repress dissent ? That's a bit like telling people that the science is settled or insulting the opinion of anyone who isn't a qualified climate scientist, isn't it ?

I see you are from Australia the home of one of the world's more outrageous climate snake oil salesmen Tim "Flim Flam" Flannery who forecast in March 2010 that the sea level would rise by 60 metres. As I have said before "follow the money". Soon after forecasting these dire consequences old Flim Flam invested in a waterfront house near Sydney. the till there safe and sound and dry. HAHAHAHA ! I digress. On to the 97% twaddle.

For the benefit of all you rusted on warmista true believers who are too busy to investigate their sources I will explain the derivation of that "97%" business.

In 2009 the University of Illinois issued to a little over 10,000 people a highly detailed and extremely scientific survey consisting of um, er, well, er, it was a massive two questions about climate change. By a method that could itself be the subject of debate the University whittled the numbers down by ignoring the 7,000 who thought the survey unworthy of reply and focusing on the 3,000 who did. From that number under application of the most rigorous of screening processes they focused even more closely on a subset of 77 climate scientists and noted that 75 of them answered "Yes" to one of the two questions. That's right, the questions only permitted yes/no answers. Was their method of selecting the 77 valid ? "Who cares?" say Big Joe.

Are you still with me boys and girls ? References to "97% of world scientists agree" . . . . blah blah blah, are really references to 75 out of 3,000 scientists answering "Yes" to a question whose only alternative was "No".

The question asked was:
“Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?”

What the hell does that mean ? I don't know either.
Just because you don't like the facts doesn't mean they aren't real -- even if Drudge, Heartland, Cato, Breitbart and Alex Jones are on your side.

Sorry. This is just the way the world works. Time to grow up.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:12   #857
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature
Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature - IOPscience

"'The authors' of the study (Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature), who painstakingly sifted through nearly 12,000 academic journal article to reach their conclusion, say they hope their results bridge the divide between publishing scientists who are convinced human activities are causing global warming and the segment of the public, who are not. This, they say, will motivate action on climate change." http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g-so-what-now/
Old 05-04-2015, 12:13   #858
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Duck the issue....nice try....
Old 05-04-2015, 12:17   #859
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
If I am 100% mistaken then CNN must be publishing references to the survey and the figure of 97% (actually 97.4% but who cares) under a delusion.
CNN aren't deluded but you are mistaken. An online survey in 1998 is not the source of the oft mentioned 97% agreement in peer reviewed published papers.

This is.

Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature - IOPscience
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18   #860

Quote:
Dear oh dear oh dear, another quotation of that "97%" claptrap. When will it sink in with you guys? That 97% of scientists stuff is pure baloney yet you keep repeating it !
97% of climate scientists. You are completely incorrect.

Someone has already since posted one source.

Here are three more peer reviewed scientific publications that state the same about the percentage who agree:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/306/5702/1686.short

Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change

97% of climate scientists agreeing is nothing but a simple fact.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:22   #861
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So, for those folks such as Reefmagnet and Third Day, who believe you should just "follow the money" and that climate scientists are getting rich off the funding that has poured in following their complicity in the global AGW conspiracy ... riddle me this ...

What do the Chinese and Russian national academies (which typically represent the top-tier scientists in any given country) have to gain? Remember that Beijing and Moscow were not exactly on board with the various attempts at international agreement on this subject. There can't be much (if any) money coming their way. So, what is their motivation for signing a petition urging governments to take this issue seriously?

http://nationalacademies.org/onpi/06072005.pdf
Old 05-04-2015, 12:31   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
So, for those folks such as Reefmagnet and Third Day, who believe you should just "follow the money" and that climate scientists are getting rich off the funding that has poured in following their complicity in the global AGW conspiracy ... riddle me this ...
I've never in my life met a rich scientist of any breed, in any country

Oh, and sneuman, don't forget Australia. Our current government is very strongly against wanting to do anything about climate change, but strangely all our climate scientists STILL insist that it's real....weird! :P
Old 05-04-2015, 12:32   #863
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The desire to fit into the cool club is strong my friend, its not easy to say the Emperor has no clothes when the croud on the streets is cheering his new robes.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:38   #864
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The desire to fit into the cool club is strong my friend, its not easy to say the Emperor has no clothes when the croud on the streets is cheering his new robes.
But, I thought it was about money! Isn't that what you said earlier?!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:39   #865
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Maybe not for many , but for scientists, to show the Emperor's true nature isn't the accepted norm is to walk the road to a nobel prize and riches.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:54   #866
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't remember my point ever being about the money....its about replacement theology.

Bro....you are totally off on where you think I'm coming from, I'm the guy who did air emission and pollution control work at power plants for a living and have patents in pollution control. I'm a bigger environmentalist then most of the MMGW Cultists posting in the thread. Where you have a problem with me is that I don't do group think hype think and so much of the MMGW issue is hype it is giving g real science a bad name. Have you ever went to a power plant and left it running cleaner when you left....I have amigo, so my credibility as an environmentalist living off the grid trumps the fake SUV driving "awareness campaign" of today's MMGW Cultists to prove they are good people by caring....
Old 05-04-2015, 12:57   #867
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My guess is that this guy knows more about climate change than you do. Keep your eye on the man, not the dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=cBdxDFpDp_k
Old 05-04-2015, 13:06   #868
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Don't remember my point ever being about the money....its about replacement theology.

Bro....you are totally off on where you think I'm coming from, I'm the guy who did air emission and pollution control work at power plants for a living and have patents in pollution control. I'm a bigger environmentalist then most of the MMGW Cultists posting in the thread. Where you have a problem with me is that I don't do group think hype think and so much of the MMGW issue is hype it is giving g real science a bad name. Have you ever went to a power plant and left it running cleaner when you left....I have amigo, so my credibility as an environmentalist living off the grid trumps the fake SUV driving "awareness campaign" of today's MMGW Cultists to prove they are good people by caring....
I'm neither your "bro" nor your "amigo." Perhaps I was conflating you with reefmagnet or one of the other crazies. Looking back I see you're the guy who thinks the Big Bang theory has been debunked and that climate change is a communist, rather than a capitalist, conspiracy. Lol.
Old 05-04-2015, 13:15   #869
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bro.....Amigo....
Ah....you prefer Comrade.... I'm not surprised.

Your car is the problem...yet you won't give it up, so you know in your gut the MMGW Hoax is bogus. My carbon footprint is smaller than yours...so I'm a better person than you by the MMGW Cultists standards.... Sorry that it angers you, but bro....get over it or get off the grid and stop being part of what you say is the problem. If the world is really at stake...why are you all hat and no cattle?
Old 05-04-2015, 13:20   #870
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bro.....Amigo....
Ah....you prefer Comrade.... I'm not surprised.

Your car is the problem...yet you won't give it up, so you know in your gut the MMGW Hoax is bogus.
I spent 13 years without a car. But, your logic makes no sense -- car or no car makes no difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-good-thing-about-science.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	100022  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water